What game modes should we start with?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neutrino, January 25, 2013.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I like the seananigans, I don't like realism, that makes you sound like a starcraft goer.
    look here

what do you think?
  2. bongologist

bongologist Member

Phantom planetary style!
  3. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

Team Roulette

Large FFA game with fifteen+ players, every fifteen minutes, a klaxon sounds and teams are randomly assigned, every further fifteen minutes, another klaxon and teams are mixed up again.

With settings available to change frequency of team re-configuration and the size of the teams that are created, you could for example have a game where every two minutes, two teams are re-configured so the large sides are in a constant state of chaotic flux.
    Or a game where every half hour the teams are re-organised with every player being paired only with one other random player.

--

This is my first post, so i'd like to take the opportunity to give a thumbs up to Uberent for making this exciting game, which i would play, had i a computer to run it.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  4. kingjohnvi

kingjohnvi Member

Some of these may have already been suggested, but just in case:

Economic Powerhouse: Player (or team) wins when they produce 4 times the metal and 4 times the energy of all opponents combined or no enemy units or structures exist. Victory condition cannot be met until at least 5 minutes have elapsed.

Assimilation: Enemy commanders, when defeated, are permanently allied to their conqueror, and continue to play under their new Emperor. Game ends when all players are under control of one player. (Great for 40 player games as people get to continue to play after loss of their commander) Full idea here: http://forums.uberent.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=61&t=45848

Wonder: Construct a building of unimaginable size and splendor, at an equally unimaginable cost. Once held for a certain period of time without being destroyed, the constructing player is victorious.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. hak8or

hak8or New Member

I think that the ability to have players team up together to take on waves upon waves of enemies would be nothing short of fantastic. Imagine an 8 or even 16 member team working together, a few guys focusing in resources, a few on aircraft, one dude on the research weapons, a few handling defenses, and the rest handing the front. Whomever lasts the longest against these waves gets up on the leader boards. Some would last maybe fifteen minutes, some half an hour, some an hour, and very few for a solid three hours. Putting it on twitch streaming and my god, that would be awesome, especially seeing how it all falls apart in the end and defenses are breached.

Not to mention, this would be a pretty cool test of the unit AI.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm a bit late to this conversation, but why not. I'll contribute.

Naturally, the three that's already there, Assassination, Army, and Alliance.

And then I'd love a non-assassination mode – where you play until all factories and fabricators are destroyed. So if you lose your commander, it's all good.

Naturally, the ability to start on different planets – even though that's not exactly a game mode. And also, for Army and Alliance game modes, the ability for different team mates to start on different planets. So in a 3v3 on 6 planets, all 6 players could spawn on different planets.

Uh...

I dunno. That about covers it for me...

All sorts of unique game setups can be done through how the planets are setup.
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  7. Nayzablade

Nayzablade Active Member

Protect the Prototype-X

Similiar to regicide except with a new Prototype Uberbot that is extremely tough and has an extreme amount of firepower.
  8. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

That sounds... exactly like what we already have?
  9. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

Victory Conditions for all of the below:

Choose between assassination and total destruction: (Assassination you lose when your commander dies, total destruction you lose when your last fabber and your last factory are both destroyed)

Musical Chairs: When scoring is implemented properly, the person with the lowest score is eliminated after 15 minutes.

Score is economic, industrial and military proficiency. (APM absolutely should not count at all)

Assassins: You are allocated a target, you win by eliminating your target.

*** Race: Space Race or something similar - first person to roll out t2, first person to launch to space, first person to land on another astronomical body, first person to activate a metal planet, etc. is the winner. They can wage war in the meantime, but they don't win unless they achieve that condition.

Prey: One player plays normally. The others are only able to construct fabbers, but are given a set amount of economy per second, which increases as the game goes on. They have to reclaim their way to victory.

(The idea behind prey - one player is much more technologically advanced than the other players, but the other players outnumber him)
  10. tbos

tbos Member

I have not read all the comments,

But what about instead of racing to a planet, you have to hold a planet. Could be you have to extract an artifact from the planet, or creat a beacon on the planet. Something that takes a while. The other players have to fight to get on the same planet and hold the artifact/ beacon or whatever.

You could make it more difficult by saying that the extractor/ beacon/ whatever needs alot of power to be used. So you have to build enough power, defend your power, and defend the planet you are on.
  11. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

Horde/Survival mode! I like!
    stormingkiwi likes this.
  12. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I want victory conditions that sit alongside killing the commander. Basically a forced surrender when one player has a huge advantage over the others such that you've entered a tedious and predetermined end game. Not on by default, but configurable with a slider where one player's/team's economy is X times larger than everyone else put together, the game ends.
    spazzdla likes this.
  13. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

Annihilation combined with 100x metal production victory.

You gotta wipe out your enemy completely or have 100x their metal production for victory.

The 100x metal to prevent people from hiding for hours, if you are making 70 metal and they are making 7000 it's over lol.
  14. spazzdla

spazzdla Active Member

If it was tied to an economic victory as well this could work?
  15. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

You could make it work with territory as well - if you own 70% of owned metal points a timer starts counting down.
    spazzdla likes this.
  16. kalherine

kalherine Active Member

1 - Assassination (Game ends when commander is destroyed)

2 - Supremacy (Game ends when all units and structures are destroyed)

3 - Annihilation (Game ends when all units are destroyed)

4 - Sandbox (Game never ends)
    tilen likes this.
  17. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

if you think PA is more SyFy than SC2.
  18. Gerfand

Gerfand Active Member

what about something like:
    Inter-Planetary Murder Party:
    every one start in theirs planets w/ some Stuff (like Orbital) and, them they start to kill each other, and the planets get the name of who is spaw there.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

could be one of the variants of phantom yea. everyone suggested phantom. so it should be in at retail.
  20. ulight

ulight Member

King to king, players can only control their commander. All other units & buildings are controlled by (an easy) AI. Movement & build speeds for commanders are doubled.