Fan and Community Art: Official Thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by garat, April 11, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Hey all,

We'll be launching a fan and community art page on our website tomorrow that will feature pieces from time to time, with a pointer to this thread here. Some simple rules of posting:

1. You MUST own the art you're posting here. Under no circumstances post other people's work. If you want them to, please contact them and point them here.
    2. It should be PA themed, inspired, or otherwise obviously in genre.
    3. Provide in your post any attribution you want for it (link to your website/portfolio, etc). If you don't provide info, we'll simply identify you by your UberNet forum name!
    4. Lastly, one image per post, please. This makes it easier for us to identify ones to feature. (This doesn't mean you can't do a couple posts in a row if you have a few different pieces you want to show off!)
    5. This thread is for relevant posts only, please. :) Avoid the general chatter.

By posting in this thread, the only thing you're doing is giving us permission to feature it on our website at our discretion. No other use or expectation is provided by you sharing your art. It's still yours. :) Not every piece will get featured, but that's why this thread will also be the first link on the page. We want the hard work of everyone who's been inspired by this game, or others like it, having more opportunity to have their work seen!

A link to the page: (intentionally not linked off the webpage yet)
    http://www.uberent.com/pa/communityfan-art/
    djbyrne6 likes this.
  2. garat

One of the first pieces we'll be featuring is the work of Equiliari from Deviantart. Remarkable work. You can see more of his stuff here: http://equiliari.deviantart.com

This came to us through Facebook, hence why I'm breaking my own rule and posting it for him. I have his permission. :)

[​IMG]
  3. garat

A number of posts have been deleted. Please keep posts limited to artist images. Serious ones, please. ;-)

This thread is one of the few with special rules that will be fairly strict.
    tesseracta likes this.
  4. thedbp

thedbp Member

MrTBSC likes this.
  5. captainshootalot

captainshootalot Member

[​IMG]
    A not-that-pretty model of a assault bot with chemical weaponry
    (Has a big green tank of chemicals on the back but im limited to one picture per post)

Probably some sort of acidic spray that would damage enemies over time, less DPS but a longer 'burn' time than a flamethrower
    eroticburrito and MrTBSC like this.
  6. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Just thought Id put these here :)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    squishypon3 and MrTBSC like this.
  7. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

8. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

9. balancesheet

balancesheet New Member

[​IMG]

A concept I did for kicks--would love to see something like this in-game. :)

It would be a large, Gas Giant-only unit, able to submerge into lower levels of atmosphere to avoid detection. It's armed with three long-range cruise missile launchers and a small forward rail gun. Its missiles would be able to hit targets on nearby moons, making it a serious threat in any gas-giant oriented maps.

It's weak in any direct combat with other gas giant units, and expensive. But its hull is strong enough to withstand depths beyond most sensors, and can hide itself effectively when not attacking. It would still be vulnerable to certain specialized units designed to detect and counter it with depth charges.
  10. dbiton

dbiton Member

realy hoping to catch the eye of someone up there on uber, maybe this unit will becom real.

The westwoods unit transporter
    Originally a failed experiment on the war between the electronica earths, and the westwoods, this giant troops transporter which is powered by an ion drive, a fusion reactor, and hopes, is capable of picking up a limited number of tanks, or a lot of huminod-bots-infantry-soldiere-thingamgigs, is as mentioned a failed experiment, not a succesful, not an almost, something more close to resemble a giant mall full on tanks dropping on an ant, so, it is Quite a slow, arm, "aircraft", so don't expect it blasting through the sound barrier, because, for christ sake, this thing barely fly.

Thanks
    (I know im no picaso but first time picaso drew it didnt sell that good ether)
    PS. sorry about massive amount of grammar stuff

Attached Files:

christer1966 likes this.
  11. drmac

drmac New Member

Demonstration of my awesomeness.(couldn't help it)

Attached Files:

christer1966 likes this.
  12. dietshnurd

dietshnurd New Member

Sketched out a Commander :D

Attached Files:

• PA3.jpg
      PA3.jpg
      File size:
      253.6 KB
      Views:
  13. sorenr

sorenr Member

So this is for you guys.

Attached Files:

14. calrsonbench

calrsonbench New Member

I was inspired by the planetary annihilation style and made this walking unit. Any feed back will be appreciated.

[​IMG]

Some kind of walking death machine in the final game would be awesome. If have submitted this incorrectly i will be happy to fix it
  15. Crymaw

Crymaw Member

I would be a completely amateur art critic at best if I tried, but I do enjoy art, and I just wanted to comment on some of the submissions. :p

@ brandonpotter, nice design but why would you put a large vent in the center of the commander's chest? It's just begging for a missile to completely bypass all the commander's armor, and just explode inside of him.

@balancesheet, that's a really interesting unit design, and a great piece of art!

@ dietsnurd, great work! I like the 'cartoon' style, the suggestion of thousands of units, along with the moon base in the background; your picture sums up PA rather nicely.

@sorenr, at a glance, I honestly thought that was an official 'LEGO' product. That's really impressive, and creative. I can't say I would ever have conceived using those pieces like you did.

@calrsonbench, everybody loves transformers! Also, That would be a great design for a tech 2 artillery bot. All it needs is a little rounding here and there so that it's slightly less square, and a few details. Otherwise I think it's really good.
  16. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I decided to try something a little different from my usual fare and like Soren did, I chosse to go with an old standby of mine....

[​IMG]
    Based off the Concept Art for the Alpha Commander from the KS Campaign.

You can also Check out my Flickr Photostream for more of my LEGO builds.

Mike
  17. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

A similar idea, but rather than try to iron out every lego stud, I'm embracing the blocky nature of it all.
    [​IMG]
    A mere 300 bricks, slightly less than Mike's one...

then again, Mine would stand taller than Mike's ;)
    tesseracta, Grimseff and MrTBSC like this.
  18. sorenr

sorenr Member

Thanks. You may also enjoy these, which I shamelessly used as a base. I've scrapped a couple since, but I really should do some factories for them. The PA one was so fun.
  19. f807153

f807153 New Member

christer1966 and PeggleFrank like this.
  20. Limboman

Limboman New Member

If I made a custom dock icon for PA using some official PA art would it be OK for me to post it here? (I ask because I obviously don't own the images I used to create the icon.)