TITANS 1v1 Ranked Ladder Season 2

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by panews, January 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Uber never ran any events, it used the eXodus eSports infrastructure and personnel. And while you would look at lessons to be learned from the community, how do you think this hypothetical employee does that without spending time researching them, conducting interviews with organisers, etc?
  2. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Even Battle of the Beasts? Thought that was them. Albeit invitational.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Well they had brad nicholson as community manager then. This kind of stuff was his job. Forrest helped too if memory is decent.

We could have a community led tournament when the season ends. I'm happy to donate to it. Am sure others would too
    nimzodragonlord and cdrkf like this.
  4. Quitch

Nope, eXodus.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'm not saying that a pa Inc run event would have 0 cost, I'm saying that there is potentially a business case to run an occasional event to compliment the ladder. It does fit with their general push to develop the competitive scene, and the lessons learned from the work exodus did mean it's not a case of starting from scratch imo.

The difficulty of course is the benefits of this are difficult to quantify (at least in pure financial terms), but then I'd argue the financial benefit of an active ladder are equally difficult to quantify given the pricing model of the game.
    stuart98 and matizpl like this.
  6. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

I don't disagree that tournaments are hard work to reach any level of professionalism, but it's disingenuous to use the presentation element as a downside to tournament formats. The only reason such arguments don't apply to the current system is that it is inherently impossible to present it. Whilst I get that the expectation is that tournaments are live-cast, you'd have no content to even consider streaming using the ranked ladder. Perhaps that transition would be easy to do, so there'd be no need consider the tournament format until you are able to support a live-stream, but to recognise that a ranked ladder isn't better because it doesn't involved streaming is important.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. Quitch

Because streaming isn't the goal. The current format I would assume is designed to encourage more ladder activity, leading to improved ladder health, which leads to better player retention. A new player who struggles for a ranked match isn't a player who is coming back, but one who gets matched quickly might find they like it and keep playing.

The tournament doesn't do this, it moves a chunk of the base off into a private event, one they presumably spent time in private practice for (likely lowering ladder activity). It also reduces activity at the top of the ladder since you have a much wider margin for success. If you're not streaming it then why would you run it at all? What would you be gaining? Streaming it for visibility purposes is the only reason to run such an event, to bolster the game's profile and courage others to ladder more to be in the tournament for next time.

What are the lessons learned from eXodus? Who learned them? Where are they documented? Is the current drive really to improve the competitive scene or is that simply a side-effect of driving improved activity and retention?
  8. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

To be totally honest Quitch, your response suggests you didn’t read what I wrote, which says nothing to disagree with you. You also phrase your response as an answer to a question I never posed. I agree that the ranked ladder is a better format for competition when the constraints of live-casting aren’t relevant. That much really isn’t open to debate in my opinion. However, that fact does not stop it being foolish to say that tournaments are worse because you have to live-stream them.
  9. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well over the years the Exodus were running events, the rules evolved. All the latest rules / setup information is still available on the exodus website....

To your last point, I don't see that really makes a difference to the case for / against running a tournament.
  10. manlebtnureinmal

manlebtnureinmal Active Member

Hey; would it be feasible to extend this to also include a feed (accessible by API) with the following information for all non-ranked games? :
    1. UberIDs of all players (NOT just usernames)
    2. UberIDs of all winners (NOT just living players)
    3. List of mods present (by mod identifier)
    4. Team distributions (like being able to tell if it were a 4v4v2 or a 4v3v3)

Thanks, just wondering.
  11. panews

panews Planetary News Official PA

Reminder for @Clopse who also liked this post.
  12. Clopse

?? A random sentence isn't a rule. Put it in the rules and guidelines for PA.
    andreasgg, xankar, tunsel11 and 2 others like this.
  13. panews

Play 1v1 ranked on your main account and not the other 4 smurfs that have been banned from 1v1 ranked.
  14. Clopse

4 lol. More like 10. Deleted the game anyhows. Has been fun.
  15. panews

Main account also banned now from 1v1 ranked opening up a space for someone else.
  16. Clopse

Explain which rule I broke please. That would be lovely.
  17. panews

If you want to play 1v1 ranked again on your main account it will be unbanned. If you're not playing then it's the quickest way to open up the spot for others instead of waiting 2 weeks for inactivity.
  18. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

I will note that there is no “spot” in plat, just a threshold with the current (improved) ranking system.
  19. panews

There are 3 spots for most active in platinum and 14 players over half of which will have just seen a rank increase after removal of smurfs.

With only 22 players ranked at platinum and uber, any smurfs negatively impact the results so expect them to be banned from 1v1 ranked.

Play 1v1 ranked on your main account.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.