Better assignment of colour

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Quitch, February 5, 2019.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Each server has an assigned set of colours via the color_table.js file. This is a fixed set of colours, selectable by players. The number of colours was increased from 10 to 32 to better support large numbers.

What this has led to though is poorer distinction between colours as a result of a larger number of samples being taken from the colour spectrum. While these have clearly been chosen to maximise differentiation, at 32 it's tricky to really manage that perfectly.

I would suggest that the game be updated such that the colour table scales according to the number of slots. In a 1v1 only clearly distinct colours are available, such as the original 10. In a 12 player game the 12 most distinct colours are available, etc. Perhaps the colour table simply starts with 10, then adds an additional colour for each additional player, thus allowing these colours to be ordered such that the most similar colours are added last.

For further development I would recommend making colours a client configuration. This would mean my opponent can choose black, but I can assign them whatever colour I choose i.e. they show as black at their side, but to me they appear green. This would aid accessibility for those with vision issues, bypassing low contrast problems some people have with colours like black, as well as avoiding players trying to use those contrast issues for competitive advantage.
    stuart98, proeleert, ljfed and 4 others like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Some people have favorite colors that they would probably be disappointed to see removed in 1v1s
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

workflow.png
    MrTBSC, stuart98, bthirteen and 5 others like this.