Does the new team come with new units?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by elloco1989, September 21, 2018.

?

Would you like to see more units added to the game?

1. Yes

16 vote(s)
    66.7%
  2. No

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Yes, if..

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. elloco1989

elloco1989 New Member

Can we expect units to be added to the game? Please say yes.

The more, the better, in my opinion.

Also new features would be welcome. For expample: terain deformation, a nice working map vault (like faf), rebalanced gas giants, map preview in lobby, commander upgrades, more tools to keep an overview.

Wouldn't mind paying for it.

This game is awesome I am glad I've backed it on kickstarter.

Also moar Titans please.
    grandhomie likes this.
  2. FrequentPilgrim

FrequentPilgrim New Member

We would do better to have a second look to re-tool all of the currently un-used units. There is already lots of variety. We simply need to tune it a bit to create resonance with the entire cast of units.
    apollozani and grandhomie like this.
  3. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

I'd like to see a few units / structures to make air play more fun / diversified.
    Otherwise as FrequentPilgrim said, a small rebalance to make lesser used units useful again would be great/sufficient (some ideas in the Equilibrium balance mod are great for instance).

Regarding maps / mods:
    On the main page it'd be cool to see a list of new mods (to not miss a new map pack for instance).
    It would also be great is a good preview of maps / systems in the map browser (ideally light weight, no need to zoom etc) to know which one to pick.
    Also, as a map maker, being able to add a "new" tag on new maps to highlight them would be neat (or the game could itself add that tag based on the .pas file modification date or with a diff of the maps.js or a combination of both). Users would find that useful.

I agree with you that the "system preview" client mod should be part of the game (it's so useful), maybe with an option to disable it within the lobby for older machines (on 1st launch / fresh install: message asking if the user wants to keep the preview or if they want to disable it - they could re-enable it later in the settings).

I don't like the idea of Commander upgrades or any upgrades for that matter. I don't want PA to become an RPG.

I don't really feel like a map vault is necessary, what feature do you like that's better than a map pack? I feel like the preview I mentioned above would solve one big issue of the current system sharing thing (the gamble of selecting a map based on the name / description / remembering which ones are good).
  4. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

5. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

I rekon we need a rebalance of economy, then some more orbital options, some new biome types and CSG's, maybe some hovertanks, better ways of traversing systems quicker with better camera options that allow for smoother more manageable multi tasking, no lag ui.
  6. MrTBSC

why and how?
  7. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

I'm all in for new toy's to play with, but cant really think of any one unit I want to see, maybe a navel titan?
  8. MrTBSC

what has that to do with the thread?
  9. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

new race would be more relevant. dunno how official legion is to become but if it is to become vanilla that's still one race down from any other RTS and two races down from some.
  10. MrTBSC

early C&C games and TA had only two, as well as KKnD and warcraft (as much as they just were mirror factions with a different skin for the latter) .. so do we realy need more than 2 factions with the unknown ammount of budget PA inc. has access to? the legion mod team with the small team and limited time per day needed 1 and a half years to get legion propperly done; we could assume PA inc. might require about the same time or more for 2 factions

i personaly rather would have orbital be fleshed out as well as more flexibility for naval and hovercraft to finaly have more diverse biomes and terrain be used, not to mention more options for systemcreation with various kinds of symetry ...

imho just slapping a new faction to the game would make it only marginaly more instresting...
    the actual potential of it would still remain untapped ...

some ideas

orbital aircraftcarriers
    hovercraft factory with a hovercraftset (fabber, drifter, kaiju, multiunittransport, doxesque with a tiny bit of splash for AA, umbrelaesque antiorbital)
    titantransport
    orbital and naval teleporters
    maybe a actual naval titan similar to the aeon tempest from supremecommander

the tougher stuff to think of would be pure orbital units and structures ..

maybe a orbital torpedobomber against structures and heavy armored units and a torpedoturret
    or a orbital railgunturret like the artemis
    static radar and static powerplants
    orbital metalextractors that drill with a tractorbeam into the metaldeposit ...
    current orbital basebuilding is primarily orbital factories and jigs for gasgiansts ...
    so ... yea there coud be more to that ...

i would love a titan firesupportunit that can transist between orbit and surface/naval
    Last edited: November 3, 2018
    maxcomander likes this.
  11. billthebluebot

billthebluebot Active Member

I think orbital has more fundamental problems that need to be solved before more units being added would be a good idea. Obviously only having 3 real combat units is pretty lame, but adding more units to a boring system would be a good fix for a month or so.

-Remove universal orbital vision. Orbital decision making is severely limited by this imo.
    -Give comm sizeable vision on his own planet. Avoids silly snipes made possible by the point above.
    -Reintroduce orbital radar, but only grant orbital vision across one planet. You have to scout.
    -Make orbital vision very obvious when you have an orbital unit selected. Quality of life feature that would become necessary if you need to scout in orbit again. orbital vision.jpg
    -Add energy based delay for orbital departure. Punishes orbital attacks that shouldn't work on paper, but do because you can always "warp" out instantly. Also addresses planet hopping in astreus as a bonus.
    -Add "jig spots" to gas giants to force the decision between tight and easy to defend or spread out and safe from chain reactions. I believe that was the original idea, and I also believe that was not achieved. Maybe add one or two jig spots to non gas giants. reduces the effective size of the playing field on gas giants.

-Orbital terrain? planet bound impassible debris fields, natural teleporters, speed fields? Something to spice up the very huge, very empty battlefields used for orbital play. Super energy plant spots?
    apollozani likes this.
  12. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

I’m actually a fan of universal vision, at least for a planet you have units on. I think you’d have to do a lot to make an orbital scouting system feel fair. But it’s one I could be convinced by if done well. I just currently like that it’s a layer that is fundamentally unique in this regard.

I appreciate that someone else is talking about energy cost for orbital transport. It’s something I’d really like to be able to play with.

Jigs can be made to work within the mechanics already, but areas of high desirability would add more depth. I’m personally contented with larger blast radii with nominal damage to mobile units. Probabaly with economy rebalanced to match.
  13. MrTBSC

orbital units have both a timebased departure and arrival dellay .. it may just need to be increased ..
    powerbased would make it imo a bit more complicated than neccesary .. or would you want orbital units to be slower to get into orbital transit when on a powerdeficit?
  14. elloco1989

elloco1989 New Member

Great fun to read all the ideas, I like a lot of them!

Personally I think terain improvements on planets would improve the game a lot.

New biomes would be great

Commander upgrades aren't persé necessary, but I would love to see a hunker mode or something like that. It's too easy to snipe atm in my opinion.

Here are some more idea's:

An aircraft carrier or battleship that could be in the water or in orbit.

Interplanetary artillery.

Different types of missles for the nuke launcher (emp)

Oribital debris

Unit that brings wrecks back to life

Titan artillery

Big planets that can survive an impact of an astroid, but would loose a part of the planet at the impact.

An amount of nukes that can destroy an Astroid.

Nuke impact making big craters, and/or smashing away pieces of a planet.

New worked out gas giants

More orbital units

Naval teleports

Tractor beam untis

Stealth and cloak
  15. billthebluebot

billthebluebot Active Member

there is currently no (at least none that I can see in-game) departure delay. energy based may be going too far to change that, but the whole idea is to add risk to un-scouted massive orbital jumps. which energy cost would do.
  16. MrTBSC

a simple increased time delay on arival would do the same .. like try idk 10 sec should more than suffice for any larger attempt of invading someones orbit especialy if he lands in the middle of fortified area that might be just more than punishable enough ..
    Last edited: November 3, 2018
  17. maxcomander

maxcomander Active Member

Would really like some more biomes and custom assets for the system editor. I love playing with that thing. =)