Future of PA Brainstorming: Not Major Engine Changes; But Gameplay, Roles, and Strategic Complexity

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by ledarsi, August 24, 2018.

1. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

I think the legion unit the comet is a much better solution.
  2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

(underline mine)

This is key for why I do not feel hampered by the lack of a transport unit. Outside of raiding parties, PA is about dealing in volume. Massive armies doing battle is one of the selling points of PA. Transports, for the reasons you identified, really don't support this.

I'm not saying there is no place for transports, but I don't see how the presence or absence of transport units would materially affect the game.
  3. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

Oversee transporting of many t1 or t2 units would be nice.
    Or put commander into armored tansport within base to protec it.
    just an idea.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Because implementing stuff isn't free, and what you're asking for is already achievable in the game and people don't do it (because teleporters do it better), indicating that implementing a multi-unit-transport would be a waste of development resource.
    mwreynolds likes this.
  5. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

Sometimes mostly in FFA some players can pull off a pelican vanguard drop snip, maybe even a few in row.
  6. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Ha! Put your com in just one of the many transports you've got floating around and let them try to figure out where you are ;)
  7. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

The idea of dropping circa 20 vanguards in a base using multi-unit transports is just grim. I'm not sure multi-unit transports are a bad idea, but unless you can show me how to avoid 20-vanguard-drops making nukes and unit cannons irrelevant I can't see how you can consider balancing this feasible. Increasing the mobility of units on mass is always going to be dangerous.
    flubbateios likes this.
  8. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

Thats why boom bots shall not accelerate manhattens better....
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

never assumed stuff to be free
    also there could always be a rebalance
    to make teleporters less accessible again like during early beta were it was t2 instead f.e. ..

it´s because uber didn´t manage to implement multiunittransports that the teleporter became available as early as t zero, it´s because of how they didn´t manage to have multiple units enter a unit or structure with a loadmechanic that they decided to turn the unitcannon into a factory because they had to implement it as a kickstartergoal ..

if resources weren´t a problem would you be ok with having them?

awarness, orbital- and airdefenses (stationary and/or mobile) as like the austreus the multiunitvariant would also have to transist through the airlayer .. and not letting the enemy get to that point in the first place .. 20 vanguards + transports from a (likely, if tiering stays as is) orbital factory is quite the investment ... .. a succesfull helios may drop worse than vanguards on you ..

one way you could ballance multiunittransports is health and the speed at which they unload units .. may be even variable speeds based on the unit you carry ..

as for unitcannons personaly they would be more desireable if they were to use units made from your factories and not having to produce them yourself and you still could limit what units the unitcannon can be loaded with ...
    Last edited: September 14, 2018
  10. FrequentPilgrim

FrequentPilgrim New Member

I love OP Ledarsi's analysis and think he is spot on in regards to ever major point he brings up. PA is already a great game. If we improve the fundamentals of the strategic and tactical depth similarly but not identically to Zero-K's design, we will propel PA into the legendary status it has always aspired to.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

in short: matter of flexibility .. yes PA is about large numbers .. in many cases almost any RTS is won by macro and production ... that doesn´t mean we can´t have dropplay with striketeams .. supcom has it as well despite being about large numbers .. supcom 2 even had a teleporter for one faction and the unitcannon for another and still had multiunitransports .. and yes it was said for supcom that making anything involving multiunittransports was quite a challange as well as transportques, factory assist and ferrysystem and ammong the most difficult tasks for that game ..

mla has the helios for that .. adding a extra cometstyle unit to me is just a bandaid .. like the helios any comet would require its own teleporter and require extra power to maintain ..
    Last edited: January 25, 2019
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I just want galactic war to be finished, it's still in its original placeholder state as it is now.