[finished] Commandonut 1v1 Blind Tournament

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by flubbateios, July 29, 2018.

1. flubbateios

flubbateios Active Member

Commandonut 1v1 Blind Tournament
    After a year and a bit, Commandonut Casual is back!

Blind?
    The maps will be entirely new, nobody will have played them before the start of the tournament except the map makers and they will be distributed at the start of the tournament. It will be accommodating for less experienced players since nobody will have played these maps.

Furthermore, it is in a Swiss format so everyone will get 4 or 5 games, and they will be against players of a similar skill level. New players are encouraged to sign up.

Format: 4/5 round Swiss depending on player numbers
    Date/Time: Saturday August 4th @ 17:00 UTC (18:00 BST, 19:00 CEST)
    Expected run-time: 3h30m
    Maps: New maps; they will be distributed at the start of the tournament.
    Caster: WPMarshall
    Last edited: July 29, 2018
    cdrkf, tunsel11, Furballman and 8 others like this.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Ah have a flight booked that day. May try to change it. Cool format. Enjoys
  3. solumath

solumath New Member

Damn have job that day might take day off cause of it. ;)
  4. solumath

solumath New Member

Are there any rewards? ^_^
  5. flubbateios

You get a coloured name in Discord (gold, silver, bronze). What more could you possibly want?

Unfortunately I don't have any money so I can't afford real rewards. Stay tuned for later tournaments; there may be some rewards for those.
    cdrkf, acesoyster and Clopse like this.
  6. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

I would occasionally donate for tournaments/awards at https://exodusesports.com/ but it's been nearly a year since they did anything.
  7. solumath

solumath New Member

Didn't want to insult you. I thought what about a game with someone from uber like reward. ;)
  8. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

Exodus tournaments have been moved over to the community discord where they have been hosted irregularly ever since we stopped the tournaments hosted through the exodus website. If people are willing to donate to prize funds for tournaments it is welcomed, they will not go to waist. Contact me if anyone want more info. Was going to host a 150 GBP tournament late August but it crashed with me moving cities so it is delayed for now.
  9. flubbateios

10. flubbateios

upload_2018-8-4_21-41-31.png

Thanks to all who played and watched; the tournament went very smoothly overall.

https://flubbateios.com/stats/tournaments.html Super Stats tournaments page. All tournament games are listed here. On the Challonge page, there is a link attachment to all games that were not byes.(to the game's Super Stats page).

Congratulations to Princess Fox for winning, Antrex for coming 2nd, and Diskraip for coming 3rd.

Special Thanks & Awards:
    @n00n for being the biggest disappointment.
    @acesoyster for mapping and help with organisation.
    @wpmarshall for casting and mapping.
    @Pwn4two for mapping. He also wins the award for making the most rage-inducing system: "Icecream Donut Utensil"
    @Thatsonofabroom for being the most over-confident.
    @kelwin99 for absolutely destroying @acesoyster on @wpmarshall's stream.

7 people failed to sign up correctly.

We may return with another tournament later this month. All the maps are available on the Blind Tournament Map Pack and they should shortly be available on the respective mappers' map packs.

Ultimately, the blind map format was a lot of fun and I look forward to a potential sequel to this tournament.
    Last edited: August 4, 2018
    DeathByDenim, cdrkf, lulamae and 2 others like this.
  11. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

The bot worked really well Flubb, was clean as a whistle once it got going
    flubbateios likes this.
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Seton's Grip and Singe are now available in my map pack.
    Seton's has spawns for 2 shared armies, 2v2 unshared and 4v4 unshared. [Note those are not tested so let me know if they aren't laid out properly.]
    flubbateios likes this.
  13. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Now that I've rewatched the stream, I must admit I feel like the blind nature of this tournament is a go-to for future tourneys. I strongly suspect that the PA burnout I was feeling was a large part down to a stale tournament map pool. You can say the meta is stale and sure that can contribute to a lack of intrigue, but the same maps means the same meta will play out pretty much the same each time and so casting is going from A to D via B and C each time predictably. New maps, even if the same meta will make the meta play out differently each time. Indeed they are even more likely to prompt unusual strats as people don't know what to expect on them. I remember way back when FrozenOreoYog was a new map and Qzip did a proxy naval + tele rush in a 2v2... you didn't get that by the end, just your usual stuff as people got savvy to the map strats.
    You can argue that even new maps don't get rid of predictability as savvy players will know what to look out for sure, but then you make tricky maps, maps that encourage play for certain areas of interest.
    For instance, a lot of people in this tourney REALLY didn't like WAISTBAND, or...'the ice map'. I didn't think it was too bad AND, get this, it had a high concentration of metal in the middle which necessitated a focus around that. AND it didn't have a butt-load of metal in the spawn so you actually had to expand and maintain your expansions. THAT is what made it interesting to spectate.
    Take my original 1v1 maps from my map pack, a common criticism was "Where's all the metal???", my reply to that is "well...that's the point; you have to go and get it, I don't want the same game of PA to play on this map as it does on countless others"
    Maps are not 'bad' just because you are not comfortable playing on them...

I'd like to know what others think of the blind format. It has to be said that it does require constant new maps if more of these tourneys are to take place.

It should also be noted that I feel the maps made can probably last for 2 tourneys if used sparingly because it would seem that the public lobbies in PA tend to stick to the same maps over and over as well so there isn't really a risk of the new maps becoming outdated/saturated with experience anytime soon.
  14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

While I didn't play and just spectated, I really liked the format as well. It puts more focus on reacting to circumstances and as you said, creative use of map features. And while it is true that this continuously requires new maps, we do have quite a few talented map makers here (yourself included of course).

Some tournaments in the past also had a format where the maps would only be released x days before the start of the tournament. This allowed the contestants to practise a bit and explore the map in more detail while still being unfamiliar with the strategies that other players might have developed for those maps. This could also be an interesting option.
    cdrkf and wpmarshall like this.
  15. lulamae

I like the idea of releasing the maps just before the tournament begins

Would be nice if we could make the make unavailable in between tournaments until we've used them several times.

And/Or if you have enough maps, group them and use each group every second or third tournament.

Or swap out the oldest half of maps each tournament so you always have something new. Could be a year until you rotate back to the original combination. By then,everyone has forgotten about them.
    wpmarshall likes this.
  16. lulamae

Then again, releasing them a couple of days earlier would help negate the advantage to the returning players over the new ones.
  17. grandhomie

grandhomie Active Member

Yes this tourney was great and felt "special", partially because of the new maps but also because it's been a while since you commented a tourney, and because a lot of good players showed up (and some very fun unorthodox players like Antrex).

As a spectator I don't mind seeing the same maps played often (probably since a spec is just passive whereas you're active / casting); I would actually like to see a tourney hosted on classic maps like classy barren, overcooked pizza, etc. I still really like playing on these older maps, but I'm not a very active 1v1 player.

Andreas had a tourney last year with maps that had never been used in tourney before (some of yours were used) and it was really fun too. So maybe no real need to make new maps for every tourney; there are tons of great maps out there that haven't been used in tourneys (I really enjoy playing on your "Solitude" map for instance).

My 2 cents: not a fan of multi planets systems for 1v1s, especially when players can spawn on more than 1 planet.
    cdrkf and wpmarshall like this.
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I really like this as a format.... I also would say I think no one seeing the maps before the day is better if possible.... Being able to read a map and come up with a strategy on the fly is a skill in of itself far too many 'pro' players rely on practicing and learning the optimal builds for a specific map. This gives a different type of player a chance to shine imo, and as @wpmarshall says resulted in some unusual plays. The more time you give to players before hand, the less of that you'll see I think....
    DeathByDenim and wpmarshall like this.
  19. flubbateios

Those maps were specifically designed to be very hard to play - the metal was far away from the base to make expansion harder, a lot of the metal was not clustered so it would be hard to defend, there was a looming threat of naval on three of the maps, and the final map was a 5 planet system.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Just watched it and I gotta say the maps are all nicely designed. My favorite is the Setons map just for nostalgic reasons. In the past I gave a couple of tries to search for the right seed and never got a proper one. How big is the planet? The map feels really big!

I agree with most of it. Each map has different playstyles and it doesnt suit everyone. For instance one specific creator had maps with 9 metals at the spawn. For me thats a lot of metal en I didn't really like it. Why? Beceause the base layout gets very important en attacking gets less important. I remember getting smashed by AndreasG en his ally by a nuke under 10 minutes? Not my cup of tea but the tactics are completely different (am I going to build an anti nuke within 10 mins?). On the other hand on bigger maps you could get these really huge battles which we're really cool!

The other way around is a map with almost no metal. I hate it when I get the feeling that I can't progress properly in the game. Almost no metal means things can get out of hand very quickly.

Again I think the maps in the tournament we're really good. 3 mex at the start is enough and the raiding was good to see. They looked pretty too.

I did had the feeling that naval didn't really mattered that much on Setons because of dox getting everywhere and air getting everywhere in time. Thats a different discussion though (balance).