Will PA: Titans have a nintendo switch version?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by crossmad, July 5, 2018.

1. crossmad

crossmad New Member

It wouldn't be bad .
    Last edited: July 5, 2018
  2. nimzodragonlord

nimzodragonlord Member

3. crossmad

crossmad New Member

where did you get that so extensive information, my boy?
    tatsujb and martianhunter like this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Huh, my 5-year-old laptop runs PA just fine on Uber graphics. Sure, it's not 60fps if you are looking for that, but I'm sure in these past five years laptops got a bit stronger than mine.
    tatsujb and Remy561 like this.
  5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

My laptop is well able to play any game on top settings. They cost a little more but more than capable of playing pa.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

....and a pony! :)
    nateious, Remy561 and DeathByDenim like this.
  7. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

There wouldn't be a problem with it if it was made with the same accessibility/controls as SupCom 2. That game had features geared for console / stick users.
    Now arguably the PC version suffered as a result, but that's because they were developed at the same time. Whereas a Switch version of PA would, I presume, be developed in a different strand and would therefore not impact on the PC version.
    I see no reason to write off potential new players on switch just because of the "RTS on PC master-race" vanity...
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. xankar

xankar Post Master General

More like "Play an RTS on PC or you're in for the ***-whoppin' of a lifetime and because of the frustration that comes from being unable to play at a competent level the console players will give up trying to play and therefore the console playerbase becomes non-existent so why did we bother porting this game to the thumb twiddling market anyways if we have to dumb down the entire game system so that it becomes even remotely accessible to the console market only for them to not play because it's still a chore to play an RTS on consoles regardless master-race."
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

you are right ... IT WOULD BE HORRIBLE ... for one the switch has limited hardware that´s like below what the latest xbox and ps consoles are ... then there is the problem of the switch having not the same programms to work with to code a game .. in other words uber would have to spend additional time to learn coding adjusting their engine specifically for the switch were they don´t need to do that for the xbox and the playstation .. at least as far as i understand it ..
    what i mean to say is porting the same game from pc to switch is not as easy to do than to port from pc to xbox and PS
    because of nintendo´s consoleinfrastructure .. it was ammong the reasons why there was so little support for the Wii U

realy what all consoles simply need to do is to allow specific games to use keyboards and mouse .. that is realy it ..
    Last edited: September 10, 2018
  10. MrTBSC

ah dang clicked the wrong button sorry ..
    Last edited: July 14, 2018
  11. martianhunter

martianhunter New Member

Or maybe Literally Last Year:

[​IMG]

Although figuring out a good keyboard layout for the dude would be difficult.

Anybody have a GPD win to test PA on?
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

so two things for the switch illiterate in this thread (and quick disclaimer I'm not saying I 100% think it's possible) :
    1. the nintendo switch runs a linux OS (some proprietary dumbed-down, frankenstein's monster version of linux) : that's why linux's games portfolio and switch's game portfolio have so much in common.
    2. the switch is pretty damn baller. it runs wolfenstein 3D, Zelda Breath of the Wild (which is a sandbox of just epic proportions and of stunning graphics), Dark Souls remastered, Skyrim with all DLCs, Civilization VI, Rocket League and so on.
    as it stands I'm not quite sure the switch could handle PA. mostly because of it's ram limitations. but it's Nvidia Tegra SoC is IMO capable of handling both the graphical and computing demands PA throws at it.

It would surely need refinement but the whole thing is possible.

don't confuse the switch's capabilities with that of a Gamecube or a wii U or a gameboy or a PSP.

this thing is the most compact version of digital horsepower I've born witness to to date.

"what about UI", you might say? rightly you might ask how the game would be handled with differing inputs? well if you're in handheld mode or if the switch is on an ajustable playstand you may use the tactile functionality of the screen, zoom in, zoom out, click and drag select, same click for move, basically play mouse only which is currently a possibility in PA.

then if the relation lasts you could build this whole idea up. maybe you work out a way to use keyboard and mouse (maybe nintendo will allow this themselves down the line; the capability doesn't need to be added, nintendo's obstructing of linux's inate input handling capabilities needs to be removed, that's not such a tall order).

also I don't know if anyone has tried this but it certainly makes sense to me : buy a tactile desktop screen and benifit from the same tactile function in docked mode (I don't know if this would lack either software or hardware support or both, switch-side, there's strong chances Nintendo may not have thought of this use-case).

if the love-story continues beyond that why not then envision a patch that brings controller support?

My point is : if you thought the switch is not up to the task GPU/CPU wise, I think you're wrong.
    Last edited: September 9, 2018
  13. tatsujb

so yeah this is what I was talking about.

porting of PA to switch is... in my sense, done. and conversely while a little porting would allow PA to run on Xbox (if you just want the game to start, forget inputs) because Xbox now runs what is essentially win10, worse the PS4 is the platform which would require the most porting because it has an OS which is furthest from all three PA currently supports.

I'll have to try booting a linux on my switch and seeing if PA runs out of the box but frankly i'd be surprised if it didn't.

any linux can run on the switch :
    [​IMG]
    just google whatever version you want.

as for the performance;
    I distinctly remember PA being optimized to fit a much lower PC target than what specs this baby has.
    these specs weren't really reached in the end as on steam right now it says you need 8GB minimum

and the switch has 4GB :
    Screenshot from 2018-09-09 23-30-39.png
    (please take some time to appreciate that the hardware on switch is nowhere near as low compared to the Xbox one or PS4 as you might have thought)

but is that a deal breaker ....and especially in the future with PA's further optimizations coming down he pipeline? I doubt.

also it's within reasonable credibility that Nintendo might release a compatible "Switch 2.0" that is the same in every respect except harware.

nvidia SoC are amazing and nvidia are getting better at them, why turn down their newer chips?
    Last edited: September 9, 2018
  14. MrTBSC

yea but you are using a workarround here in a similar way to use emulation, no?
    it may run this way but personaly i doubt it will run well or with limited planetsize and units ..
    and unless you can use keyboard and mouse on linux your controlability with controler or nunchucks is limited as well .. and this will not change for porting the game the normal way ..

also what about xbox one x and ps4 pro for hardware comparison?
    joercarr45 likes this.
  15. tatsujb

no.

when people use the word boot they mean boot. why does this confuse you? Replacing nintendo linux with another linux has nothing crazy to it.

fair point though again testing this will be interesting.
    I feel like you didn't read my post.
  16. MrTBSC

nothing crazy but it's still a different platform ... so you are still using a workaround you are not using the original OS intended for the console .. basicaly i could play switch on windows with the appropriate program even though that program is not its own OS it's still a workarround not having to use the console ... that's what i meant with similar ... your "emulationprogramm" is in this case linux

got a link bout that switch 2.0 ?
  17. tatsujb

I want to unpack the levels of wrongness here but I don't know where to start

bottom line man, why are you the newly elected pope of all things linux and switch?

tone it down a notch you're so wrong

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 12, 2018
  18. MrTBSC

cool, memepicture, exxagarated assumtions
    appearantly not getting my point at all ..

nice to discuss things with you

tell the layman why he's wrong!!!
  19. tatsujb

I really feel like you cherry pick certain sets of words that pop out to you within paragraphs and somehow respond to them without reading the paragraph they were within.

is this just a feeling or?
  20. tatsujb

look I'm a patient man but I feel like I'm repeating myself here and not making you any less informed.

do you really wish to learn or is it just a facade in front of a misguided but strong opinion?

legitimate question, really not going after you here,