Some brainstorming ideas for possible future PA

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by MrTBSC, June 9, 2018.

1. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

just make long range energy beam to follow the curvature - as all projectiles could. high trajority only as rare exception to shot above barriers and so on... just my suggestion.

well, indeed in dont reject hovercraft titans because they are not realistic, but because i think its boring if they just can pass sea...
  2. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

- eye candy suggestion: The more you scroll in, the double-more flat the earth shall appear!
    - add option to disable smoth scrolling
    - add option so that your own units can damage yourself by accident, if other units walked in front of a projectile...
    - allow comnapping by option (enamy commander kidnapping by using air transport)
    - make d-gun stronger and with slow reloading. but maybe better a mod-thing...
    - add destroy everything game mode
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

.. well then it would be no different than any other glowing projectile, no? especialy if you want it to be continous that would be rather like a super high rapidfire arcing gattling than a true beam ..
    i don´t think there is any weapon that actualy does follow a planets curvature .. all long range weapons in this game have an arc ..
    Last edited: September 15, 2018
    emarkus likes this.
  4. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

projectiles are slow, while energy beam is ultra fast. so it can hit moving units better.

or maybe i got you wrong about glowing projectiles...

For the same reason I would like to have two different versions of rocket launchers: one rocket which follows the target, and another which cannot this.
  5. MrTBSC

just look at the dox, grenadier and the gil-e ... the later uses a fast moving projectile however it still is a arcing projectile .. before in PA: classic it was a beam but it suffered the problems i mentioned before ..
    any beamtower or dox uses actual straight beam/lasertypeweapons, they don´t arc nor follow the planets curvature ..

how would you want dumpfiremissiles to behave? that´s the question
    the bluehawk f.e. against groundunits launches missiles in an arc that home into a unit it fires at ..
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
    emarkus likes this.
  6. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

thx for explanation, so maybe this gil-e projectile is what i want, but I would like to see a blue beam, visually. and it shouldn't sound like "pff". :D

After all, it might be a modding stuff and not core PA stuff. But when i look at original TA or SpringRTS, then i look at these units and how they sound, and they are all so exciting... This is what I miss a bit in PA, despite the fact, that the gameplay is a bit better/easier in PA due to planets and cheap factories...
  7. MrTBSC

yea almost everyone of the community agrees that PA´s soundeffects are a bit lackluster, unfortunately new soundeffects apearantly can´t be modded in which is a reason the legionmod uses the same soundeffects for their units ..

regarding spring personaly i am not a fan of many of its units using instahitbeams .. i think supcom with the cybran faction and seraphim ballanced that better .. though apperantly FAF changed cybranweapons to not be instahit outside the monkeylords beam ..
    obviously TA had an advantage with beams as maps were simply flat for the most part in that game with not many hills or higher terrain ...
  8. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

We should get Uber to team up with Square Enix to make PA2
    ...anyone...?
    ;)
    NikolaMX, cdrkf and river39 like this.
  9. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

I've not once thought the sounds in this game are lacklustre. I also don't tend to be zoomed in close enough for it to be relevant either way.
  10. MrTBSC

either petroglyph (members of westwood in there) or THQnordic so they can combine PA with supcom maybe ..or wargaming who holds the Total Annihilation IP ... problem is still how many of the original members already left the company ..

it´s still not as impressive as TA and supcom imo has also generaly better sounddesign
    so i would wish there would be some modability to that ..
    Last edited: September 28, 2018
  11. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

How comes that Square Enix pops into your mind? What's the link?
  12. MrTBSC

supcom 2 on which members of uber also worked on ..
  13. acesoyster

acesoyster Active Member

As a sort of detour, if you do have ideas and you want to prove they don’t suck, have a go at modding them. If you aren’t making original models, unit mods are quite easy to put together, and a working mod that people enjoy using is great evidence that your ideas don’t suck. Not to mention that if you mod it you don’t have to wait on someone else to create it.

Additionally, a multi-unit transport almost existed, and there are files in game for one. Sadly it’s operation was clunky any so it didn’t get to release.
  14. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I honestly don't think square is the best of options. Considering what happened with supcom 2.
  15. MrTBSC

i think he joked about it considering how hated supcom 2 was by veterans

to be completely honest though if supcom 2 still had kept floweco and engineerassist it would have been a decent game .. it´s not bad it´s just the eco and productionchanges screwed it over ..
  16. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Oh went right over my head xd.
    Yeah agree with you there. Lack of moddability also hurt it I feel, there's a reason why the original supcom is still alive and 2 isn't.

Anyway won't go offtopic .
    MrTBSC likes this.
  17. MrTBSC

just quickly want to mention supcom 2 revampmod .. the guys behind that must be maniacs ..
    Last edited: June 14, 2018
  18. moatmanoo

moatmanoo Member

But then you'd have people complain that they should get PA2 for free. I'm entitled to those features! They were hinted at or promised in PA and they didn't deliver! I'm outraged!!!
    MrTBSC, n00n, lulamae and 1 other person like this.
  19. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

My humour is completely lost on you lot...
    *departs
    :cool:
    cdrkf and river39 like this.
  20. FrequentPilgrim

FrequentPilgrim New Member

PA needs ranked matchmaker for team games. While it has been brought up in the past, the reasoning for not doing matchmaker teams is that the population is not large enough. While this makes intuitive sense, I believe this view is misguided. Teams allows a smoother transition from custom matches to 1v1 for a new player, and would ultimately be a larger draw than 1v1 currently is. If you check the metrics for almost every RTS, Teams is more populated than 1v1. Teams would BOOST the amount of players in matchmaking and therefore likely increase the amount of 1v1 as well, as there would now be a designated arena for gaining the confidence to do 1v1.

This allows players to "find the fun" much more easily than searching through open custom games. Many of those hosting a lobby don't know what settings and maps to select to create an enjoyable match, much less how to balance teams. Our reliance on lobby hosts to create team matches that represent the game well has been a large (the largest?) problem for the community since release. New players joining a 15 planet system game with unbalanced teams are not getting a chance to see the game at its strongest, with balanced smaller planet counts.

In the short term, is it possible to set up a custom server that can host teams matchmaker from the lobby list? Ideally this should be baseline though.

Make Ranked Matchmaker Teams. If Zero-K can do it with their low population count, certainly PA can as well.
    n00n, emarkus and cdrkf like this.