[REL] Custom Skybox

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by superouman, February 16, 2014.

1. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

The identifier in the path makes it unique and therefore not a shadow of an existing file.
  2. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

So for my personal, locally kept mods, there is no formatting requirement for the subfolders within the "client_mods" folder?
    Just that each local mod needs its own unique folder?
  3. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Just realised you mean the containing folder. I've updated the examples to match.
  4. lulamae

Should the value of "author" be contained within the value of "identifier"?

For instance, at https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Example_Mod_Custom_Skybox

I see the example of

Code:
       "identifier": "com.pa.you.your-skybox-name",
       "display_name": "My Custom Skybox",
       "description": "This is a demonstration of a custom skybox",
       "author": "demo",

In this case, shouldn't we make one of the changes below?

Code:
       "identifier": "com.pa.demo.your-skybox-name"
    or
    Code:
     "author": "you"
    If I understand this correctly, then the author/handle value is also missing from the identifiers of the 3 examples at the bottom of https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Planetary_Annihilation_Mod_Structure
  5. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

The identifier merely needs to be unique; it cannot be the same as the identifier for any other mod. So while it is not required to have your name in the identifier, it's a good way of making sure that the identifier will be unique. The other possibility is using your domain name is you have your own website.

I've adjusted the examples to be consistent now with the author name, thanks!
  6. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Did we raid superouman for all his custom skyboxes? I seem to recall a distinct skybox that had multiple bright galaxies on a very dark background which doesn't resemble what Lula Mae has put forward, the Milyway and Crab Nebula come closest to what I remember.
  7. lulamae

superouman's skyboxes were developed from the same program I used for the Milky Way, Crab & Carina skyboxes.

http://spaceengine.org/ (We used the older, free version. Since then they have transitioned to selling it on Stream for $25.)

The link to their additional skybox files returns a 404 not found.

The galaxies/nebulae displayed in that program are not particularly bright which is why I traveled inside the Crab/Carina nebulae to get skyboxes that were distinctive.

And they are not nearly as colorful as as the research photos you see published.
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Hello everyone, i checked my HDD with old computer backups but i couldn't find my old website. Sorry about that.

I remember i had to rotate some of the skybox pictures created by SpaceEngine but i don't remember in which direction. I did it with trial and error. :(
  9. lulamae

@superouman I've written a batch file to process the the cubemap files that I've saved via Space Engine. (using IrfanView)
    I also have one for files developed in SpaceScape http://alexcpeterson.com/spacescape/
    Be happy to share them with you.

Couple of changes to the game regarding skybox mods.
    - We can now use .png files instead of .papa files.
    - Instead of shadowing the game's images, we can now load multiple skyboxes that interest us and set/change our default skybox on the fly in game settings. You can even change the skybox mid match.

If you like, I can help bring your mod up to date.