The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd teach him to be especially cautious towards internet trolls and covert Russian operations trying to influence elections with pictures of Jesus stating Hillary is the devil.
    tatsujb likes this.
  2. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Looking at the last 500 years, non-white people have indeed had the most to fear from whites. Whether that's african colonization, american colonization, asian colonization or the military-backed global trade, or Australian colonization, it's not like there are many places in the world that the West hasn't beaten into submission through superior firepower.

I mean, you do realize that Trump (and the Altright) are afraid that everything they did to the natives will be done to them, right? A nation of immigrants who displaced and murdered the natives, afraid of immigrants.
    Last edited: November 23, 2017
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

seriously no Keystone Pipeline debate????? are you guys even trying anymore?
  4. Devak

When was the last time we had a good debate on this? 50 pages ago? 100?
    tunsel11 likes this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

There's nobody to debate anymore. I read this, but no time to reply:

1) New job, 60 hrs a week, it's an every-single-day job. This was first day off in last 8, and probably in next 14+.
    2) Deadline for a romhack I'm working on in celebration of anniversary of Megaman Legends, due Dec19th and preferably little earlier.
    3) Sleep.

I'm spending 100% of my time on those things for now, so I've been a little absent. Played some PA with my friend lately, considered that a "break", and a better one than typing here tbh.
  6. tatsujb

I fail to see how the above takes less time then : "oh yeah, that. okay the pipeline thing was a bad idea"

maybe the toll isn't in time, it's in pride? (that's not the word I'm looking for, there's a better word, this is likely going to spark something when I'm trying really hard not to and the other word would have been super neutral and harmless)
  7. Devak

I think you mean that the choice isn't in the available time, but rather in how he spends it.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. tatsujb

9. cola_colin

So many things in US politics alone going on:

- net neutrality will be killed off, giving the already monopolistic US ISPs free reign to destroy the market completely. Good bye internet innovation from the US, was nice to know you.

- that tax reform. Apparently it'll kill of funding for graduate students in very significant ways, prepare for a wave of Americans migrating to Europe in search of funding for their scientific education. Also it seem economics-people agree it'll put the US in worse dept than ever and only make the rich richer.

- that keystrone pipeline thing. Climate change handling in general

- A president accused of sexual harassment endorsing a guy who has sexually harassed teenage girls to be senator. Politicians literally going "yeah that guy is bad, but better that than a democrat"

- All those russia meddling questions that keep popping up

I've probably forgot something... oh right the way the crisis on puerto rico was/is being handled.

At first it was funny to watch the drama in the US, but by now it's starting to get sad to watch a nation plot its own demise with that much vigor.

One can only hope that the EU will gets its **** together and fill the void left by the US. If not China will be happy to fill it instead and they certainly don't stand for anything anybody in this thread wants.
    MrTBSC, tatsujb and tunsel11 like this.
  10. Devak

I don't think China will become THE dominant power like the US was in the past 50 odd years. Rather we'll likely see a return to a pre-war state of many fragmented powers.

Keep in mind the US was a superpower mostly because all the competition got destroyed in WW2, and the USSR was destroyed in the cold war. Only now are we seeing a resurgence of old powers and the creation of new powers.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. tatsujb

hmm

like in thinking eternity? (the book)
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

A-fukn-men. I won't even be mad, this country had it's hayday, no thanks to anyone handling it now. It's an entitled nation living off it's inheritance, and competition in innovations and cultural improvements are desperately needed by someplace that can showcase their improvements as vastly superior while a former "leader" falls apart enough to realize they better start taking notes on said improvements.

America is too proud to do things "differently", and there is no way it won't fall apart because of it. It'll probably panic afterwards, put it's head together, follow innovations elsewhere, and contribute in a meaningful way while absorbing noteworthy changes to culture. May even lead to gun control, which may be welcome when police/government position no longer comes with any power or privilege that it currently has.

When the government positions can no longer offer the monetary gain that they do, nor the unconditional support of large volumes of people, seats will start being filled for the "right" reasons, social ones.
  13. Devak

I don't know. Is it a good book?

It's pushed it's problems as far as head as it possibly could in stead of resolving them, and it's paying the price for it. The US isn't unique in this, but it is rater unique in the extent it has pushed them forwards.

Social issues, economic issues, political issues. It's no longer about resolving them, but solely about preventing the other party from enacting their vision.

Like i said before, it's so sad that discussion, negotiation and diplomacy are rated so lowly in an era where we need it more than ever.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  14. tatsujb

OMG yes!

I mean I don't know what your tastes are but I ******* devoured it in like a week.
  15. tatsujb

ok it's a gamer channel but this entire vid is just him explaining net neutrality and why europeans (and others countries than the US ) should care about net neutrality very likely being repealed next month in the US

Last edited: November 27, 2017
  16. cola_colin

17. tatsujb

@cola_colin whooopsies, I guess. I get that in their mind/world everybody else is as dumb as they are but my "faith in the world jar" got an extra droplet from the fact that they managed to not get tricked and even bite back a little.

still pretty parched though....
  18. tatsujb

19. tatsujb

the poor banks are being hurt by the cfpb. Captain Trump to the rescueeeee!
  20. tatsujb

trump calling CNN fake news causes discredit to the original source of the news of slavery having returned happening in Libya.