Chris Taylor is back (TA, Sup.Commander)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by emarkus, September 18, 2017.

1. emarkus

emarkus Active Member

20 years ago, Chris Laylor made Total Annihilation. And Supreme Commander was following. You all know these games, I assume.

Last year, Chris leaves his job at Wargaming, a company which develops the game "World of Tanks". He was burned out and rumours said, he plans for a next generation Total Annihilation and creates a new studio.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-06-01-going-pottery-total-annihilations-chris-taylor-new-rts

"It was completely divine inspiration I swear to God."

That's when he - long hair flapping in the Adriatic breeze at Croatia's Reboot Develop conference 2017 - reveals his ace. He's back, he's independent, he's energised. "I'm going back to RTS."

"I'm going back to RTS," he says. "I'm going to change the paradigm.

"My goal is to put RTSes on more screens than ever. I want to move the football way down the field. I want to change, fundamentally, not only the way we play RTS but the way we access the RTS experience.

"What if I told you you could be playing on your dual-screen PC with your quad-core whatever and when you had to run to a meeting you could continue playing on your phone, because you want to, because you're dying to, because you don't want to have to wait to get back?

"What if I told you you could just turn the power off on your PC and when you went to your phone you could continue playing without any disruption in the experience? A real continuous experience on any device."

What would you say?

"I promise it will be something where people will genuinely be shocked," he adds.

An Interview:

A talk from Chris Taylor at DevGAMM Conference:

http://www.gamestar.de/artikel/warg...n-erfinder-chris-taylor-kuendigt,3305758.html (german)

https://venturebeat.com/2016/11/22/...leaves-wargaming-to-start-small-indie-studio/
    wondible and tatsujb like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

No.
    WAY.

THANK YOU @emarkus for this!
    emarkus likes this.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

This is the same Chris Taylor that dumped all over PA, right?
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Then I would tell you that you're probably not making a product aimed at me.

This sounds like some kind of MMORTS stuff. I don't think anybody has managed to be successful with that yet, or have they?

Still will be curious to see what comes out of this.

As far as I remember he was critical of the "play on 3d spheres" concept, as it may be too much for players to grasp. A fair point imho. Apart from that he wished Uber the best in their endeavor.
  5. tatsujb

nooooo common. 1 he's not the type to comment on other's work and 2 he was overall pleased with PA. his remark on planets bears no ill will.

Keep in mind PA employees were all his employees before. they're damn near pals.

btw way have you guys watched the second video all the way?

it is AMAZING. I cannot believe it's been out for three months and I hadn't seen it yet.

In fact he reveals alot about his ideas for his to-be-announced game in it.
    Last edited: September 18, 2017
  6. Gorbles

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all over seamless tech. Continuous experience stuff is great (not just for games) :)
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Wasn't this news four months ago?
  8. tatsujb

well the conference is three months old yeah. but I was still stuck at the end of the road for any hopes of a TA2 : Chris Taylor leaving wargaming. I had no echoes then about what his intentions were. and I kinda gave up on finding any myself.

hearing that he wants to make a TA/supcom like game is the best news ever.
    huh. ...why is that?
  9. Gorbles

Wearable is on the rise (like, actually by userbase, it's part of why Apple's new watch hasn't appealed as well because they went in a different direction to user expectations. People wanted slimmer tech, not a bloody SIM card). The ability to go between phones and tablets is increasing (same OS, same tech, same userbase for gaming experiences).

The next barrier to go would be between mobile and PC. Google have made some attempts in this area, and for all their faults, so have Microsoft.

More and more games are coming out with companion apps. Mass Effect: Andromeda wasn't received well, but the companion app I've been using on Android since it was released, and it's very useful.

Personally, I work in software that covers desktop and mobile experiences. It's a very interesting place to be in, though I'd prefer to see the games development side of things :D
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I love the idea of making a new game, but pretty sceptic of the cross-over stuff, not sure how you can do this and not dumb down the game.
    tunsel11, Nicb1, gmase and 1 other person like this.
  11. tatsujb

he sais that's the entire point : dumbing it down.

basically it's not the ssame game running but it is the same vs ai match that you can continue and finish .... (probably minus sim pro cuz i don't think you can have that on a phone no way)
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

It's due to this that I'm highly sceptical over his ability to deliver a decent product now. Regardless we can hope for the best.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. xankar

xankar Post Master General

As if it wasn't dumb enough already. Unless by that he means that he's going to make a mobile phone game, in which case he really isn't going to be changing any paradigms.

What if I told you, that his red pill is making me want to take the blue pill?

But ey, benefit of the doubt. Although I don't see why I should have to be giving that. If it's so great and shocking, maybe he should let his "vision" speak for itself.
    Last edited: September 19, 2017
  14. tatsujb

wtf so much unjustified aggression and entitlement. it's free spirited that he leaked a bit. if he only had to deal with yous, you'd be in the dark right now as to his project. better off since you've decided you don't like it first word out...... because .....anti-tatsu? ...eeh he'd understand
  15. xankar

xankar Post Master General

What entitlement? Some guy posts that Chris Taylor is making a dumbed down RTS game in the PA forums and you expect us to not be critical of it and instead just sing its praises when its already presenting itself to be something other than what people play PA for? He can leak all he wants but it's idiotic to expect that people are only going to be super positive about it. Also, what aggression? People are only giving their thoughts on the game from details that Chris has so "graciously" given us and it's pretty clear that this is game is going in a direction that PA players aren't very interested in. Other than that, my initial points still stand. This just looks like a bad attempt at a hype tactic.

If you want to circle jerk over Chris Taylor then I'm sure there's a place on reddit for you.

Lastly, anti-tatsu? Look, this anti-tatsu thing exists simply because you don't seem to do much else other than whine and complain without giving anything that goes against your beliefs so much as the palm of your first (or more specifically, some video of a talk show that caters to your opinions). That, or you're ability to understand English needs a lot of work.
  16. Clopse

People are entitled to their opinion, I don't see any entitlement in this thread at all. Just people giving their opinion. If a chef told me he was going to put cucumber on a pizza I'd be sceptic. I'd still try it out and see how I feel about it. He is however a businessman, his "leak" is more of a publicity move in my opinion.
    stuart98 and Nicb1 like this.
  17. tatsujb

It IS I never said the contrary stop acting like I don't know the obvious or that I said things I didn't say or that I didn't say things that I did. it CLEARLY is something you do purposefully.

the text I wrote is RIGHT THERE above, noone's buying into it.

what I said is that it's free spirited in the sense that it's obviously not a provocation of any sort he's not saying "my game is already 100% fleshed out and is the best".

there's nothing YET. he clearly sais it's a WORD DOCUMENT right now. that's it.

but of course he wants to get the word out.

how else would the ball get rolling?

sweet sweet exquisite irony....

Look guys I'm not letting this go any further : take your politics thread strifes to the politics thread. I'm not gonna let you guys do this to this or other threads. you won't drag me into your smear politics. I know how to behave myself now and I'm more than available over there if you need me.

that being said, that you'd be afraid of posting there and resort to posting this here instead is reveling of how assured you feel about your positions.

you wanna call what I said "circle jerking"? (typical namecalling, throw in "cuck" while you're at it) Make it stick. I've not yet defended him or made any sort of praise.

You're operating 100% on assumptions on what you think I think about his project so yes automatically the question does arise as to what provokes all this.

I'll leave all this at that and you won't get a pip more out of me on the matter. I'll just stick to Chris Taylor's new game from now on on which I still have yet to express my opinion maybe rightly so (and this is what I was trying to say this whole time but that you resolutely refuse to hear) because : it's too early to call anything.

so stop calling things like you raised them as your own kid. (I mean do it but expect to be called out on it by me or others)
  18. Clopse

You make it look like he is doing us a favor, that's what I mentioned. Your wording was the misunderstanding.
    xankar and stuart98 like this.
  19. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

This reminds me of godus. I'm intrigued but very sceptic. If it's like a car-bike which is actually a bike in the car trunk, I don't want the package.
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

To me It seems fairly obvious he's thinking of doing something akin to PA- having the actual game running on a remote server. In theory you could create some form of viewer to watch a live PA game on a phone- or even rely on a game streaming type service (you can get away with higher pings in rts than twitchy shooters usually- unless you are talking to level tournament play).

The other thing though is Chris really wants to simplify the game play (see sup con 2)- what I think he and many others missed is why TA has endured so long.... it's very simple to play at a basic level (at least for an rts), but very difficult to master due to the many subtle mechanics stemming from the physics, terrain and variable environmental factors. That was all stripped out in later games by him and to some extent from PA (case in point where we had a micro advantage in PA uber parched it out *facepalm*).

This is why many of us old TA fans are still looking for TA2. I don't see Chris delivering that though, although a new rts is a new rts so no bad thing.
    tatsujb likes this.