The Politics Thread (PLAY NICELY!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by stuart98, November 11, 2015.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It's Smithsonian. I'm sorry if that's not good enough for you. I'll try to find a Daily Show or John Oliver clip for you instead.

Sorry, couldn't find one, guess I've been wrong my whole life.

/sarcasm
  2. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The author matters more than the site itself, duh.

I would've thought you'd be all over the bias of that piece. Guess it only matters with MUH LIBERALS and WASHINGTON POST KEK CUCK LULZ.
    tatsujb likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

So the Smithsonian hires revisionists and racists?

Hmm... interesting.

Bias... so I should choose between John Oliver and Smithsonian... Hmm...

Let me think about it for a momentSmithsonian. I choose Smithsonian.

Sorry bud. Not everything you hate is bad, without you revisioning history to make it into the boogeyman.

Let it be known that Gorbles questioned the bias of the piece. Let it also be known it's not DailyCaller or Breitbart, it's Smithsonian. Draw your own conclusions, folks.
    Last edited: August 25, 2017
  4. Gorbles

Given that a lot of historical writers have revised history at one point or another, that's a fair assumption. No idea why you're so opposed to it. I guess you just prefer to read things that make you feel comfortable, haha :D
    tatsujb likes this.
  5. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Speaking of John Oliver. I generally like him. He's funny when he's not doing the obnoxious yelling at nothing to his right bit.

Recently he did a Nuclear Waste piece. I can't believe he didn't mention the possibility of waste reprocessing. While yes, we need a place to put the waste, ignoring the ability to reduce waste by more than half is just stupid.

My only hope with Trump was that he'd negotiate with Russia to lift the refining ban. He's for less restrictive business policies and working with Russia, it should be a no brainer.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

optimism I can get behind of
    Last edited: August 25, 2017
  7. tatsujb

8. tatsujb

9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So apparently Trump just pardoned some racist police guy who, if even only half the things I read about him are true, definitely deserves some jail time.

So racist criminals now can feel empowered by the hope that Trump pardons their kind.
    thetrophysystem and tatsujb like this.
  10. thetrophysystem

Presidential pardon power, is very possibly a terrible choice of power for the position of president.

This was very likely a terrible choice, that he could have easily gotten away with doing "under the radar" if he reduced the sentence instead. A pardon is strong and inexcusable in this situation, he doesn't even retain the original criminal record over it.

That being said, Obama pardoned... over 160 Guantanamo Bay prisoners? Also sketchy.

Pardons should have to be approved by another entity, but to change it, we'd need to make a constitutional amendment which, quite literally, take an act of congress to draft.

I forget, did G.W.Bush even get to actually push through the pardon for those border-patrol guards found guilty of brutality? If not, he's hands down the last president not to exploit the powers of pardon, if nothing else going for him otherwise.

My biggest fear right now, is Trump getting re-elected to continue to do little to nothing, OR, the democrats saying "there's no way anyone would RE elect him, so we can throw in Charles Mansion as our nominee". I mean, if they supported him, he'd easily take the DNC no matter how ******* ridiculous that'd sound, and then the next chair of the DNC will resign with a cheap apology, and the sham will go on. Then, I'm pretty sure it'd lead to my first fear, all because we can't have a real democracy with real elections for candidates.
  11. tatsujb

http://www.snopes.com/politics/satire/guantanamo.asp

do you not look at yourself somedays stop and tell yourself "is what I am doing wrong? Is perpetrating a global-scale discredit of the news all the while choosing and perpetrating news that please me causing a great deal of harm?"

I think you should.
  12. tatsujb

Omg I KNEW the guy with "blacks for trump" sign behind him in his rally had a story .... but I newer knew it would come out nor so soon! xD
  13. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Does the word "illegal" in illegal immigration mean nothing to you? Are you able to distinguish the two concepts from each other in a sophisticated manner? Do you not understand that there is a process to legally immigrate to a country, and that to disrespect those laws means you have broken the laws of that country?

Did you know that Arizona is on the border with Mexico, and that it just so happens to be the case that Mexico has a lot of latinos just like China has a lot of chinese and Japan has a lot of Japanese? Wow shocker, who would have thought the people trying to illegaly immigrate over a border would predominantly be of the specific race of that country. Racist! Wrong think!

If anyone ever wanted a case study in bad journalism, narrative spinning, this would be a great one.

tents = budget
    pink underwear = distinguishable uniforms. Wow the cruelty of wearing pink. Right up there with political gulags. String the sheriff up! Racist!

Trump pardoned him? Oh he must be a racist!
    Last edited: August 28, 2017
  14. elodea

elodea Post Master General

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...alize-the-fashion-industry-needs-to-speak-up/

Apparently the best way to fight nazism is to fight against fashion choices. Surely no-one would take this seriously though right? Surely the rent a mob wouldn't start targeting people wearing polo shirts? LOL nop.

But Antifa commies are the good guys, they aren't racist or violent! They want peace for all!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDwXuNcXhDQ
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

omg. I somehow hoped we could agree that a policemen who mistreats people that badly is a bad person.
    He isn't racist because Trump pardoned him, he is a racist because of what he did.

Bad journalism? You're up there with Trump screaming "FAKE NEWS" whenever you don't like reality.

Do the words "human rights" mean anything to you?

And then you AGAIN go onto your "but whatabout antifa" whataboutism smoke bomb. Yeah antifa bad. Violence bad. You get that part.
    You're just blind on your right eye. Actually at this point I think your right eye is missing.
    tatsujb and stuart98 like this.
  16. Gorbles

Spot the racial phrasing with "China has Chinese, Japan has Japanese, and Mexico has Latinos". Whups, I italicised it.

At this point, I'm very sure elodea isn't even aware of the stuff he puts out, though I'm also moderately sure he doesn't want to be made aware :)
    stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  17. thetrophysystem

Latinos, isn't even a racial phrasing. You make it sound like the n-word. That's literally the cultural backdrop. That's literally like saying Caucasian is a dirty word, call them American/European/ect. Whatever nonsensical definition base you (liberals?) have built, is technically incorrect yet you pass it off as modern. You literally just invent it one month or another and pass it off as correct. Correct, is correct. New-age ****, can live and let live, except anything predating it is racist because it is. At this point, why even continue using the already-horse-**** language that is English anyway, if it's just going to get somehow even worse from here.

Being latino, as per the word, isn't even a bad thing. It's a massive population in the states (something you'd never experience), and it's a massive workforce as well, and usually the construction jobs and such. With most of South Texas either flooded or tattered by the wind, the reconstruction is going to see a massive surge of manpower, with a hefty percent being latino. I don't even know why it matters who's working and what their cultural origin is, I only bring the numbers up factually. Industry is industry, workforce is workforce, culture is culture, only ***-hole left and ***-hole right focus on the skin color and the family tree with such damn focus that they are so out of touch with the basic human lifestyles spanning across every human being. Most of all of us are poor. Few of all of us are rich. Nobody's doing better than the other at this point except for the rich tbh.

There are people that cause harm from the outside to certain causes because they are total arsewipes of human trash, and then there's the haughty human garbage doing harm from the inside by starting fights and making their own side look bad and inventing injustices for the people they themselves have no official or even vague representation of.

I think you should meditate on that. Are you really doing your side the justice you think, or are you just contributing to their collective problem and compounding their search for true justice?

...but to argue the facts, here's the unbiased factsheet of pardons. Does NOT cover all of them to conserve space, which makes it both easier and harder on me, but it's worth a review anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_granted_executive_clemency_by_Barack_Obama

Now, he pardoned many hundreds of drug offenders. That alone is worth it, HOWEVER, many of them are cocaine and not marijuana, MANY of them are mass-quantities from questionable countries, it's not the kind of shtuff I'd focus on pardoning, it's a bunch of white-collar rich-prisoner pardons. Why those? I won't even speculate why.

Others in that list, at least a hundred, are various white-collar frauds, laundering, money wires, there was an armed bank robbery so that's sketchy as all hell.

Makes you wonder, how you apply to appeal for a pardon, and then how does one actually get the president to notice it and sign it. They're all rich. I wonder... Again, I won't spell it out though.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2016/aug/16/trump-lawmakers-slam-obama-release-gitmo-detainees/

The numbers add up as to how many fewer are serving in Guantanamo Bay. 61, down from ~240. If they weren't "pardoned", then excuse my terminology, unless I cannot invent and tie words and meanings into whatever the hell I want like liberals seem to be allowed. Refer to the top of the post again.
  18. tatsujb

oh please I'M the bad guy here?

oh yeah! let's make you sharing canards for the umpteenth time about you and your mistreatment!
    [​IMG]
  19. Gorbles

@thetrophysystem

By referring to race, it is, by definition, a racial definition. I didn't say anything about a racist definition, I simply was observing the weirdness of not referring to people from the country of Mexico as Mexican. As supposed to Latino, which covers a different definition.

You really get your underwear in a twist whenever somebody goes close to mentioning "racist", huh?
    tatsujb likes this.
  20. Gorbles

Double post, but LOOK WHAT I JUST FOUND :) :) :)

[​IMG]

Source should be easily-discoverable. Ad hominems against the source are as predictable as I predict them. False allegations much, @thetrophysystem?
    stuart98 likes this.