Movies !!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 4, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah I saw it recently- good film. Looks like DC are learning from how Marvel do their superhero movies (it was quite humorous in places).
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Holy **** was Baby Driver good.

I was hoping for some sick action driving, and I got it. Story and characters are good. The sound design is phenominal. It's not something I usually care too much about, but in this movie it's like. DAMN.
  3. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

4. tatsujb

5. arseface

New Spiderman movie is definitely the most "Spiderman" of the Spiderman movies. I wasn't super stoked about this movie because even though it's being done by Marvel Studios and not Fox, it feels like Spiderman gets way too many movies.

They nailed Peter Parkers nerdiness, his reluctance to actually hurt anybody including bad guys, and general friendly neighborhoodness. I enjoyed it more than I expected.

In older movie news I recently discovered that the person who ruined Toy Story 3s perfect score with a negative review on Rotten Tomatoes was banned for it. Here's the review, it's worth a read.
  6. tatsujb

7. arseface

That would have made me die a little inside if the Captain hadn't explained why that is in the comments.

Thanks Captain America!
  8. tatsujb

9. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

What's a movie
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. tatsujb

@kvalheim it's like a move but shorter : D

do you mean we should be saying "film"?
  11. tatsujb

couldn't have formulated it better.
  12. cdrkf

Well, went to see Valerian yesterday... despite what the critics are saying personally I loved it!

Really spectacular to look at and the plot wasn't as hard to follow as they made out. Not to say it was perfect, but definitely enjoyable and with a sense of fun... if you liked the 5th element, I think you'll like this imo.
    tatsujb and gmase like this.
  13. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Cool! I'll have to watch it.
    Another movie I'm excited about is the dark tower but it isn't getting good reviews either
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. tatsujb

same here.
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. tatsujb

@cdrkf I've looked into the anime adaptation and they're pretty garbadge but I might look into reading the Valerian and Laureline comics now.
    As a french comic nut I already should have but they were a bit before my time and new and better comics come out everyday.
    (Comic here meaning "BD" or "Bande Dessiné" which is a perticular style very different to american comics)
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I saw it too, it was an enjoyable movie. A bit too slow at the start for my liking, and some unnecessary exposition and foreshadowing (regarding Alpha and the killbots). I enjoyed that the romance wasn't super cliche (been a while since i saw a movie where the hero actually has to learn something to get the girl, rather than the standard James-bond-excuse of "you're hot"), it had interesting designs and it was visually appealing.

All in all, it was roughly the movie i expected.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. cdrkf

You felt the love story aspect worked? I must admit that was one of the things I was most dubious about... from my perspective:
    1: Valerian is trying to 'pull' Loraine who rightly points out he's a total womanizer who never commits (showing off his wall)
    2: He proposes, which comes across as very insincere "oh but you're different" type deal
    3: At the end he 'trusts her' but actually that came across as him playing the game rather than being honest- as this whole 'oh I'm a soldier I've got to follow orders' was after he already gave them 1 of the two items they needed, and totally dissobayed the head of the military on the basis it was the right thing to do- so *obviously* giving them the other thing they needed to save their civilization was the only real choice.

Personally, I think Loraine got totally played :p
  18. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I've seen so many "guy gets the girl for free" plots that i give Valerian points just for trying.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

- Top points for Special Effects as good as Hollywood and then.
    - Story was meh okay I guess

Let's hope Besson get's break-even, Original Taxi Series, Leon, Lucy are still gems :) - Ninja!
    cdrkf and tatsujb like this.
  20. tatsujb

on that :
    yeah that whole bit on "I've got to follow orders" was my main and stand-out gripe with the movie.

It sucked because for all it's flaws the movie had up until that point been a solid 9/10 but this was just LAZY.

it's third act hollywood bulllshit and it comes off as so incredibly forced because it IS forced.

Valerian had NO prior motivation do DO such a thing according to all the exposition we got.

not only that but regardless of the exposition we didn't get, it is made CLEAR to us from the start that getting to smash (love as the character arc progresses) is priority number one for him.

Why would he jeopardize that in the most evident possible way to himself so that there could be no excuse that "oh he doesn't know that he's currently jeopardizing this" when his motivations are so clearly laid out? (and the reason I say it's evident and he can't be saying "I didn't know" is because Laureline is S-P-E-L-L-I-N-G it out for him as she would be and as is only natural for her. So she's still in character but he's WAY not.)

there is no possible explanation except "we need a conflict between the two main characters to transition the third act or the 'ancient ones', almighty gods of hollywood, will destroy our world"

IT'S SO DUMB!

And the only result it has is taking you out of the experience and throwing you back violently into you human world theater seat with no remorse.

proof of that is that all Laureline has to do is insist several times and then we get a lousy-asss :
    dsf.jpg from Valerian. it's the lousiest thing in the whole wide universe. please hollywood for the sake of all that is good and holy don't ruin another movie with your goddamn first act second act third act garbage!
    it's fukin Laureline jesus :p "Loraine" sounds like a fat barmaid
    Last edited: August 6, 2017
    cdrkf likes this.