[WIP] Canis Major Dwarf - Metagame

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by gmase, January 26, 2017.

?

Do you like this idea?

1. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Needs to be rethinked

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Needs a few changes

18.2%
  4. Yay! It's perfect

81.8%
  1. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

upload_2017-1-26_14-19-54.png

Hi,
    I've been working on mixing a multiplayer campaing for PA with a sort of clan wars.
    My idea is a persistent massive online metagame where every PA player could participate according to his capability/dedication.

Basically there is a galactic map where factions (clans) decide blindly (without knowing other factions intentions) to fight for a system or two every week. The battles are played over the weekends and as a result factions will conquer systems and players will score points in a persistent leaderboard.
    Players can participate as independents without joining a faction and help factions only for the points.

[Lore] On the peak of the Progenitor civilization, thousands of intelligent self-replicating machines called Commanders were sent to distant galaxies to identify and destroy any possible menace to humanity. 70.000 years later the first Commanders have reached Canis Major Dwarf Galaxy.
    No sing of alien life in the galaxy but the arrival of humans last transmission is about to unleash a brutal war for the conquest of the new galaxy.[/Lore]

Players

Players plays as a comm that can be destroyed in each battle but has the ability to reassamble itself every turn.
    Players comms can be a mercenary (merc) without affiliation to a faction (clan) or join one.
    Each faction has 1 or 2 leaders that manage the galaxy orders and the faction treasury.
    Systems can only be owned by factions, not by mercs.
    The game currency is Tantalum units or Tau. This metal is essential for reassambling comms. Huge ammounts can be mined by factions in controlled system and small ammounts are obtained by every player from interstellar bodies.
    At any time players or factions can give Tau to other players or faction in exchange for any kind of service (or empty promise). Transfers will take effect everyday around 00:00 UTC +0.
    At any time (but only once per turn) players whose comms were destroyed in a previous turn can spend 10Tau to reassamble (reactivate) their comms.

Goals
    Factions: Conquer every system in the galaxy.
    Mercenaries: Amass a fortune selling your services to the highest bidder.

Arrival
    The first time a player opens CMD he's given 5Tau and start playing as a merc.

Turn
    Duration 1 week.

Phase 0 - Faction Planning
    Monday-Wednesday Tuesday
    At the beginning of the phase each player gets 5Tau and each faction gets the income generated by their controlled systems. Factions get a bonus income for connected systems under their control.
    Faction leader: claims systems for his faction. Claiming a new system cost 10Tau, claiming an enemy system cost 50Tau (20Tau are given to the defending faction at the end of the phase). There must be a link between a system from the attacking faction to the enemy system for the attack to be valid.
    At the end of the phase the factions claims are revealed to everyone.

Phase 1 - Reassamble
    Tuesday-Friday
    Destroyed comms with 10Tau or more can spend 10Tau to reassamble (reactivate) their comms.

Phase 1 - Battle
    Saturday-Sunday
    Wednesday-Sunday
    A PA-Legion game is set for every jeopardized system (a new system claimed by 2 factions or a faction system claimed by another faction). Same faction players share armies while mecs don't.
    Only active comms (not destroyed in previous turns or reassabled) can participate in a battle.
    Each player can fight in only one? battle each turn.
    Last faction standing gets the system.
    Each faction can bring a maximun of 4? comms to a battle. It can be any combination of faction members and mercs.
    Mercs can join the battle only if they are invited by a faction.
    Losing comms will remain destroyed and will need to be reassamble on the next turn to be able to participate in new battles.

So what do you think about it?
    Last edited: January 31, 2017
  2. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Not a huge comunity interest... well one like will do. I'll keep working.
    I'll post again when most of the mod is working to ask for beta testers. Let's hope more people find this interesting.
    tunsel11 and stuart98 like this.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

This sounds very much like the galactic conquest from the Phoenix worx client for total annihilation... have a like :)
  4. river39

river39 Active Member

i had the idea for a system like this for along time just never got around to it. and i like the idea. i would take a second look at the schedule though. Not everyone will have time to play in the weekend. make the planning and reasambling 1-2 days total and the rest for the match
    gmase likes this.
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

This woud be awesome. moves countermoves and expanding territory let me know if you need soms help might have the time and mood for it
    gmase and cdrkf like this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It would be a better multiplayer GW option (the best implementation so far), but I still am looking for a coop-vs-AI GalacticWar solution. Probably have to canibalize a few mods to make one.
    Heizmeister likes this.
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Thanks to you all!
    @cdrkf I know it's like blasphemy but I've never played TA :oops:
    @river39 you are right, the more time for the matches the better. Right now, I'm focused on coding the core of the mod but I'll take note of these comments to polish the rules and organizational stuff.
    @Alpha2546 I'm not a javascript expert, a digital artist or an experienced PA modder so yeah any help would be really appreciated.:)

The code is here:https://github.com/gmase/com.gmase.cmd
    It's on a very early stage so don't expect much quality. At the moment it just reads a faction list, a player list and a star list from json files in a cloudant database and presents them in a galactic war fashion. It's basically a copy of vanilla GW removing 'unnecessary' things.

A video update
    cdrkf and Heizmeister like this.
  8. cdrkf

Hey- I wasn't criticizing- that system hasn't been maintained / used in a long time. I'm all for a similar system for PA... carry on!
  9. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

I didn't mean that, only that I didn't know about Phoenix worx because I never played TA. I googled it for 'inspiration' but couldn't find much info either.
  10. cdrkf

Yeah I had a look- the website has been taken down. Looks like it's finally dead (was still working a couple of years back when I last looked). Shame, it was a nice project. At least TA can still be played online with game ranger though :)
  11. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

So is this kinda (within the basic premise) like how Clash of Clans or any of those other games work? with a permanent player made faction with PvP? I may be reading to much into this or misunderstanding, but if that is the case, I think it would be really fun!
    gmase likes this.
  12. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Yeah but turn based like Galactic War, only that turns will be 1 week long.
    I'll publish a basic version next week. Hopefully I'll be able to polish and add functionality while the war keeps rolling.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  13. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

This sounds pretty amazing @gmase looking forward to trying out your work in the future :)
    Would have liked it earlier if I knew you posted this.
    Last edited: February 1, 2017
    gmase likes this.
  14. river39

river39 Active Member

Can i assume the the systems that you need to play is pre-determent? then it would be intresting to have a maximum number of players for different systems . so you don't play 4v4 on every map.
    gmase likes this.
  15. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

@river39 Yeah I was thinking about making a map pack (a helping hand with this would be great). Good idea, I'll add a maximum players per side to every system.
    I'm still wondering the best way to add mercenaries (players without a faction) into the mix. My idea is that factions won't be able to cover all the fronts with faction players alone so they will have to hire mercenaries to fill in the battles. I'm thinking about limiting faction total number of players to 4, so that with 2 or 3 battles available each turn they will have to recruit mercenaries if they are want to contest every system.
  16. KnavishPlum

This really sounds interesting... I would definitely play this. Would add a fresh spin to PA.
    gmase likes this.
  17. river39

river39 Active Member

actual i think it would be intresting to see them requiring to be bigger. so they can't play all matches and you will not just have elite factions but also with lesser skilled players mixed in.
  18. KnavishPlum

So I was just thinking about this and wondering, will the commanders have a "Home Base" of sorts? or will it be like GA where the comms only appear when you engage on an enemy planet?

I feel it defeats the purpose of attacking if the planet is fortified, but I am curious.
  19. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

@river39
    Well I was thinking about imposing that each player could only play one match per turn(week). If that's too boring I'll take a look at other options.

-By the way, any of you would like to be leader of a faction? I'm looking for 3 or 4 people to lead the factions. Interested please tell me your in game name.

-Also if someone could select a few systems (at least 5 but the more the better) for the first turn I would really appreciate it. Ideally all the systems should be for 6 or 9 players.

@knavishplum
    I thought about that but decided to make everyone start with nothing. To begin with this way is simpler.

A video update showing how I copied autocomplete from flubb's river's leaderboard mod :).
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  20. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Is this project dead?