Game-play slowdown

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by KnavishPlum, December 22, 2016.

1. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I don't really know how to explain it, I think its just FPS lag, but their is no shuttering of any kind. as I get into mid game, the overall speed just drops by like 25%. I when I hit CTRL + P, I see maybe 10-20 fps, and under sim, it can be like only 3 fps.

I don't have amazing specs so this is not shocking or anything, but is there anyway to help it as even lowering the resolution scaling to 75 or 50% does not seem to change anything. Could it be due to the yellow box in the main menu talking about my drives? can it tell if they are out of date?

What else can I do since all of the in game options don't seem to help.
  2. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

Did this happen playing on a local server or on the uber servers? Did it get to a point where it would just freeze for a while then jump back to doing stuff? And when you say mid game, how many players / units are there?

Yes you definitely should update your drivers. Also maybe try lowering the graphics settings.
  3. KnavishPlum

I haven't been been doing multiplayer, just back into the game a week ago and this issue has kept me away.

Player wise/AI, about 4 to 6, I had one 8 player game, same thing happened, I have to check if it happens in a 2 player game, have not tried that yet. Unit wise, I alone could have like 1000 to 1500 (most patrolling my home planet), AIs didn't have many, at most 1500 combined from all of them sometimes a little more.

It has mostly been on "Auto" but I just switched local server to off last game I played, same result, gradual slow down. The game does have a few points where it froze for a second or two, then jumped back.

I think its related to the Sim setting when you use Control + P. it was smooth when it was around 10fps, but the slow down came once it went to like 2 or 3fps, I have an image of it connected to this. (its the circled bit at the top.) My memory also seems to spike during games, hitting 100% used during it sometimes. (memory is 8gb)

Graphics are all set to low minus the resolution which is at 100% since it does not seem to change anything if I set to 75 or 50%.

Also, just to be clear, is the yellow driver box just a reminder that is always their, or can it tell if my drivers are out of date?

Sim.PNG
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

That's server speed. Are you playing online or on local servers?
    ljfed likes this.
  5. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

how long do you play for before slow down.
    how many planets and what size are you playing on.
    the if you play long enough and build enough unit the game with slow down, due to having no unit cap.

things that slow down the sim faster

large planets with lots is trees and or cgs
    patrolling lots of units.
    AI, more ai can slow down the sim speed.

maybe try smaller planets and or systems, if your memory is filling up your playing with too many or too large planets.
    try less Ai but set to be harder.
    play on planet on systems that are designed with game enders.
    Last edited: December 23, 2016
    lulamae likes this.
  6. KnavishPlum

Oh... well I am a criminal of patrolling tons of units. Must have a safe base!

I usually get to about 20 or 25 minutes before slow down. I usually try to avoid forest planets due to the trees, but I have played up to 6 planets at most, mostly do the random 4 planets.

Also, this may sound like a computer noob question, but could the game be moved to the disk drive memory of the base memory? it would have like 800GB to chew on instead of 8gb. Thought I would ask, but not sure since its not the same as ram.
  7. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

The point about patrolling it it effects sim speed. If you get a slow down you can try stopping them from patrolling.
    You could also try deleting cheap units as you get to later game, i can sometime help recover sim speed.
    In the end if you amass units without fighting, the sim speed with start to slow down.

Maybe try building some nukes to cull some of the AI's units. Or smash some planets to kill of AI/units.

Also when you have set the server to local, have you tried turning on local server multi-threading to help with multi planet games.

When you ram fills up the game will start to use swap space but this alot slower.
  8. sgrock

sgrock Member

My group is seeing this same slowdown.
    System with 2 medium planets, 4 to 6 total commanders.
    Ram is not full since we are all at 20 or more GB of system RAM
  9. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

10. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Nicb1, mwreynolds and lulamae like this.