[SOLVED] heavy graphics glitch on linux (AMDGPU driver)

Discussion in 'Support!' started by dea1993, October 27, 2016.

1. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

I've bought this game, but is unplayable because there are heavy glitch when i play (menu haven't glitch).
    I'm playing on ubuntu 16.10 64bit on this laptop:
    CPU: AMD A10 8700p (carrizo)
    GPU: integrated radeon r6 (carrizo) with opensource AMDGPU kernel driver and mesa 12.0.3 (OpenGL 4.1)
    RAM: 8GB DDR3 dual channel 1600mhz
    Kernel version 4.8

I attach screenshot of the glitch and the last log file.
    i don't know if is a bug of mesa or if is a bug of the game with amdgpu driver.
    sometimes (when i open and i close again settings menu, these green artifact decrease.

I haven't testet using git version of mesa 13

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

There doesn't seem to be anything weird in the log file that I can see. Could you check if the Ubuntu package libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 is installed? It should be...

Another thing you could try is trying to run it outside of the Steam as their run-time libraries can be rather outdated sometimes and cause issues. To do so, you do need to install libsdl2-2.0-0 on your system as well as make a symlink from inside of the PA game directory. So:
    Code:
    cd ~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Planetary Annihilation
    ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0
    ./PA

However, it may very well be Mesa or the AMDGPU drivers that cause these issue, in which case the above won't help. The Git version is of course unstable by nature, but you might as well give that a go if you are brave enough. :)
  3. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0 is already installed
    Code:
    apt search libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0
    Ordinamento... Fatto
    Ricerca sul testo... Fatto
    libtxc-dxtn-s2tc0/yakkety,now 0~git20131104-1.1 amd64 [installato]
      Texture compression library for Mesa

I've tried to launch the game outside of steam but when the game seems a little better (as you can see on the image) but not perfect (i don't know if is only a case).
    tomorrow i'll try to update mesa.

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

You may also want to try getting AMDGPU-PRO if Mesa doesn't work out. It should be compatible with your card since it's GCN 1.2 though I don't see it explicitly listed in the list of supported cards. Also, it's apparently quite a hassle to install on 16.10 as only 16.04 is supported. I'm not even sure if it's possible, but in case you are interested: https://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-ar...-GPU-PRO-Linux-Beta-Driver–Release-Notes.aspx

Is PA the only OpenGL game that has these glitches?
  5. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

with mesa 11.2 I had a similar problem with overlord 2 (green points everywhere) but problem was solved with mesa 12, infact on Ubuntu 16.10 I haven't this problem.

AMDGPU-PRO not work fine on my hardware, the last time that i've tested this driver (with AMDGPU-PRO 16.30) i had lower performance and higher temperature, so i think is better wait an official support (also if my APU is GCN 1.2, i think that this driver now is optimized only of dedicated GPU :confused:).

when i'll have time i'll try mesa-git and i''ll try the new version of amdgpu-pro (release some days ago).

thanks for support
  6. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

i've tested mesa 13.1 using padoka's ppa.
    seems work better, but stille some glitches on menu of creating units and factories.

but if I over this glitch with the mouse, glitch disappers

Attached Files:

7. DeathByDenim

The parameter --software-ui used to solve that one, but I think it's been broken in the last update. You could try to see if that does anything for you. A known side effect of using that parameter is that you get a black screen after every match, but that can be "fixed" by switching between full screen and back (or resizing the window).

As for AMDGPU-Pro, yeah, you are probably right that that's for dedicated GPUs only, as your GPU isn't specifically listed. Though they are expanding support for their other card with that driver, I think.
  8. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

launching the game with
    ./PA --software-ui
    works fine.

if I want integrate this option on steam i must use
    %command% --software-ui ?? EDIT: I've tested and yes if i use this option on steam works

thanks for support

EDIT: if i play in windowed mode, seems that i haven't black screen, instead on fullscreen yes
    Last edited: October 30, 2016
  9. DeathByDenim

Glad you got it working! :)

By the way, you only need "--software-ui" instead of "%command% --software-ui", but either works. :)

The black screen always occurred after every match, though a resize (or switch between full screen, and windowed) would fix that. You have a different behaviour?
  10. dea1993

dea1993 New Member

when I play in windowed mode, i haven't black screen after the end of the match, instead in fullscreen mode yes.
    then now i'm playing on a maximized window and i haven't problems :cool:

thanks
    DeathByDenim likes this.