The Latest From Star Citizen (2.6, Star Marine, and More!)

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, August 16, 2014.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Welp, no Squadron 42 demo. Word on the street is that, according to Erin Roberts, the animations weren't fluid enough for Chris' liking and that's literally the only reason it wasn't shown.

I'll be honest, it was a pretty disappointing show. Nothing mindblowing, the planet tech looks great and the demo had some neat moments, but nothing too "WHOOAAAA". I will say though, the planetside demo is basically exactly what people wanted from a planetside quest.

[​IMG]

The demo bugged out slightly toward the end so I recommend watching the discreet video rather than the one from the presentation:

There was also a video to show off a new ship, the Polaris:

However one thing did happen that makes Star Citizen the best game ever...

Watch the demo first. So the surprise is real.
    https://gfycat.com/CelebratedAmusingHind
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

U wit m8 that was amazing
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

It's the lack of the Squadron demo that disappointed people- and the planet demo was basically an improved version of what they showed at Gamescon (the main difference being the more varied terrain, trees and such).

The sand-worm was epic though :p
  5. tatsujb

everything was epic. no terrain generation has ever looked as good before in any other game. I'm hardly willing to believe it wasn't hand made. it's too beautiful. how have they not made their own engine yet? how is this still running on something they're dubbing cryengine when i'm sure almost by necessity there now more RSI code in that engine than there is original cryengine code.

whatever. if this is actually what the end game is like and it can run on my PC I don't need to know. this'll be amazing.
    hold whatever you want against these guys they're actually pulling it off and it's a damn miracle considering how they rigged the odds against themselves.
    cdrkf and killerkiwijuice like this.
  6. cdrkf

Actually they are now calling the engine 'star engine... and the reason they have this amazing tech is they basically hired the development team from crytech :p

Out of interest, the terrain isn't 100% pg, they've put a lot of work into the editor so they use a PG terrain base and then hand edit it, including terrain push / pull, brushes to paint areas if things like trees or rocks and also hand placement of larger items like buildings and such. There another vid showcasing that actually...

One thing I find impressive is that whole demo was built from scratch after gamescon by a team if 5, so the process is reasonably quick and bodes well for them getting more systems out fairly quickly moving forward...

To be clear I'm very much behind cig, I was just disappointed to not see the squadron demo as that's what I'm most looking forward to. They've said they intend to show that off one either the anniversary or holiday live stream however so shouldn't be too long.
    tatsujb likes this.
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What they showed off with the planet demo was amazing, I was watching it live. The big deal for me was getting a look at their editor, which is ******* beautiful. I want to just mess around in it soooo bad. Sadly I very much doubt any sort of community made planets would ever be a thing. I love how they went from the bland desert planet into this rich green swamp of molten goo and acid rain in the end just to mess with all the people comparing to No Mans Sky. <3
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Where'd you see the acid rain and stuff?
  9. squishypon3

I just meant it could be assumed acid rain would happen, sorry for any confusion.
  10. Geers

They were sulphur lakes. That planet looks hideous. Not badly designed or anything, just "oh my god why would I ever go there".
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. cdrkf

For mining apparently... 'there be gold in them there sulphur lakes'...
  12. squishypon3

Why would you ever go there??? Because it looks ******* awesome that's why! :D
  13. Geers

So Star Citizen just celebrated their fourth anniversary, and took the opportunity to show some sexy new shite!

Watch the far right. I mean the in the video, not Trump.

What do capital ships look like these days? LIKE THIS:

Speaking of ships, behold the dropship from humanity's first interstellar enemy, the Tevarian Prowler!

[​IMG]

I think this is my favourite ship now.

What do the Tevarian look like? They look like THIS:

[​IMG]

BAM.

What else is coming?

The Caterpillar, the Origin 85x runabout, and the long-awaited "Pair of giant flucking engines with a server" Drake Herald!

And of course, finally, Star Marine!

Full stream:

Oh and here's a sexy gif for ship skins:

[​IMG]

Oh and:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
    Last edited: November 19, 2016
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.
  14. cdrkf

What's the betting the community complains even this isn't enough transparency... 'but mah open development... I want webcams on all developers on a web site called 'dev watch', if not OMFG scam!'...

anyhow I wasn't expecting much and was pleasantly surprised. looks like they really are taking the arena commander updates seriously, should be good fun with all those additional ship skins / loadouts... star marine looked very playable as well. 2.6 should be quite the content boost.
    Geers likes this.
  15. Geers

cdrkf likes this.
  16. Geers

Last edited: November 23, 2016
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. Geers

tatsujb likes this.
  18. tatsujb

these videos are pure genius.

Ad makers take note. this is the way the experts do it.
    cdrkf and Geers like this.
  19. Geers

cdrkf likes this.
  20. Geers

cdrkf likes this.