kde, gnome3, cinnamon or mate

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by tatsujb, October 3, 2016.

?

what desktop interface to use

1. KDE

25.0%
  2. mate

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. gnome3

25.0%
  4. cinnamon

25.0%
  5. fedora

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. xfce

25.0%
  1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

noone called me out on listing fedora with desktop environments.

i though it was one it's not it's an OS x'D
    dom314 likes this.
  2. tatsujb

crazyly enough choosing Compiz as a Desktop Environment is an option as well

though i have no doubt the ratio on looks to consumed resources is anything short of crud compared to what's out there in linux. and as far as i know compiz won't support wayland or mir
  3. tatsujb

should i make a new thread with poll for O.S?
  4. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I still think xubuntu is the best option. You get the support of Ubuntu, with the lightweight xfce desktop installed. There is also kububtu if kde is more your thing...
  5. tatsujb

yep I'm thinking kubuntu.

I dunno though because gnome is the one with best wayland integration and i also discovered more about two more interesting candidates recently : Manjaro and Antergos.

both turn the bleeding edge of arch into something actually accessible more stable and that doesn't limit what you can install.

the main problem i have with my arch is it's lackluster gnome install. it's missing options and features from the full gnome experience and I don't know why.

but yeah easyest is probably to stick with an ubuntu core cause that shitt is incredibly stable and has the most software available to it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  6. cdrkf

Ok going to show how much of a Linux nub I am... but 'wayland' integration? Also 'Mir'? What are those?

Edit: So looking into this in more depth, Wayland and Mir are both more modern foundation systems on which desktop environments can be built upon, and both replace the current 'X' system that is used currently... What I couldn't find a clear answer to was why they were actually an improvement?
    Last edited: October 7, 2016
  7. tatsujb

X is decades old it's almost as old unix itself. it's spaghetti code endless amounts of stuff it's not supposed to be responsible for built into it.

it's a whole OS rebuilt right into x and end-result the real OSs only interact with tiny parts of it and in clumsy unoptimized ways that loose alot of milliseconds and that result in unprofessional looking things.

it's incompatible with modern APIs and basically has a grudge against graphics which is the only thing it's used for anyways.

this conference done by one of the few guys who worked on X and now does wayland.

And it really answers any and all questions you might have (if you can put up with the terrible mic)

basically linux is a behemoth of potential and X is it's ball and chain.

what's really surprising is that despite that the whole of the linux community knows this and has known this for decades only today are we truly finally starting to have alternatives to it. if canonical hadn't been complete asses and collaborated with the rest of the community on Wayland instead of heading their own way and making mir we might be done with wayland already.
    Last edited: October 8, 2016
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. tatsujb

i'm good thanks.
  9. tatsujb

10. tatsujb

upload_2016-10-15_21-52-48.png

5 minutes in i freaking dig KDE already
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. tatsujb

sick and tried of KDE xD

why the fluck did they have to break everything !

Steam doesn't install out of the box compared to ubuntu neither does teamviewer I can't get PA to run every single wine window show up in this unresizeble minimal size window WTF XD!
    img.png

this is unusable i'm gonna go back to ubuntu if a solution doesn't present itself quick @DeathByDenim
    @cdrkf
  12. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Well, that was quick. :)

Steam worked fine for me after a simple "sudo apt install steam". How did you install it?
    (You may need to enable the "partner" repository in /etc/apt/sources.list though)

How did you install PA? Did you use one of the Linux PA install programs? Or did you just grab the PA directory from an earlier Steam install (when Steam still worked for you). In the latter case, you might be missing libraries. Also, I'm assuming you aren't trying to run PA through wine and you are just missing punctuation there, right?

I don't have much experience with teamviewer or wine though.
  13. tatsujb

i had to hack steam together via a guide i found online. it doesn't show up in discover.
    the entry found in ubuntu app store (which doesn't come vanilla) that has to be activated via ppa viea muon package manager gives an error message once you select it.
    so none of that works.

teamviewer straight up cannot resolve dependencies no matter what you throw at it.

PA (linux native) no matter whether uber version or steam version does not launch. terminal will allow you to see that it's an issue with radeon driver.
    Last edited: October 17, 2016
  14. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

My computer "unlover" wife wanted me to buy an antivirus, I installed her Linux mint with cinnamon :)
  15. cdrkf

Which radeon driver are you using?
    tatsujb likes this.
  16. tatsujb

no idea originally it was the open source one that came with and maybe i should have stuck with it because it may yet have worked with PA.

but i went and got the hybrid (proprietary/open source) one from AMD website the isntall was all over the place i couldn't tell what worked and what didn't and I have no clue how to uninstall it.

but also as a result i don't know what i'm running

Although really the issue doesn't seem to really be adriver error but rather what C++ library is associated

i get exacltly this error message :
    https://wirejungle.wordpress.com/20...lient-with-radeon-graphics-driver-workaround/
    although i've tried the fix a billion times it does nothing for my kubuntu
    Last edited: October 17, 2016
  17. cdrkf

If you look in the gui settings section is there a tool named 'propriatory drivers'? You should be able to easily switch between the AMD and open source drivers in there....
  18. DeathByDenim

Yeah, I've heard reports about the steam PPA being broken somehow. Just use ppa-purge to get rid of it and install the stock Ubuntu one. It's an older version, but that doesn't matter since Steam auto-updates anyway. I have no idea why one version breaks and the other does not, given that it updates itself anyway... It won't show up in Muon for some reason. I think that's because there is only a 32-bit version of Steam and Muon searches only 64-bit software. I always use "apt" anyway since it just works better. :)

So after purging the old Steam using ppa-purge, edit the file /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the # before the partner repository. Then type "sudo apt update", and then "sudo apt install steam".

As for the drivers, the open-source Radeon drivers that come with Ubuntu are better than the closed source ones anyway. At least in August they were (https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=amd-radeonsi-progl&num=1). The only thing you seem to gain at this time is OpenGL 4.5 support instead of 4.1.

And then finally there is the issue where the libraries that come with Steam (that PA uses) are just too outdated. See here: https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Crashing_in_Ubuntu_16.04_when_using_Steam
  19. tatsujb

i'm not. I had and used that tool under ubuntu

here in kubuntu it just shows intel and nothing else. i think the RX 480 may not yet be linux-ready
    yeah but again i tried both the uberent and the steam version and I applied the fix wher i deleted the extra libstdc++.so.6 libs in both and ect to no avail.
  20. DeathByDenim

Hmm, pesky. Another thing you can try is just use STEAM_RUNTIME=0 to make Steam stop using the Steam libraries altogether. You'll need a few things to get PA to run then though. First you need to install the SDL libraries, so type:
    Code:
    sudo apt install libsdl2-2.0-0
    And you also need a symlink to libudev.so.0 which doesn't exist in 16.04 anymore. In the PA install directory you can just type:
    Code:
    ln -s /lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libudev.so.1 libudev.so.0
    Then either start steam like so:
    Code:
    STEAM_RUNTIME=0 steam
    or right-click on PA, go to Properties and Set Launch Parameters, and put in:
    Code:
    STEAM_RUNTIME=0 %command%
    If it still doesn't work, I need the logs. :)

(The same works for the uberent version. You just need to rename steam_runtime to something else instead of using STEAM_RUNTIME=0 )
  21. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Taskbar on the RIGHT, vertical left is master race.