Youtube!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, September 10, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

3. tatsujb

@Geers that one's been posted in jokes or another thread here before :p (perhaps also by you)
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Oops.
  5. tatsujb

we do.

we really really desperately do.

it's crazy I remember debating this here two years ago because at the time people were already worked up about it enough to care about competitor start-ups but none have panned out (mostly because people calmed down and didn't back them) but now people need to take this problem seriously and matters into their own hands.

there NEEDS to be a feature complete alternative to youtube that (ideally) is non profit so as to be competitor with youtube in it's amounts paid to creators. (google claims youtube doesn't yield profit it doesn't even cut even but i'm persuaded that's a lie meant to evoke sympathy. it's impossible that youtube isn't hugely lucrative the only thing google is actually complaining about is not achieving exponetiality in their profits which is "needed" for such a high-brow growing company as google. I just never saw growth as a necessity. especially if you're free from all competition. It's just loss of sense or purpose. an automaton who's soldiering on and no longer remembers why)

I've though up an idea that could bring ALL the creators together not just the most successful.

every single creator would have to give away two thirds of what he earns (via the ad revenue system) from brute add revenue to 5 other signed up users of his choosing within the choices available from other creators having slightly less add revenue than him.

and so on and so forth to the bottom of the chain.

of course despite that you're adding that to their own add revenue given the sheer brute number of users who are at absolute 0 add revenue the difference from current youtube would be marginal.

it would just allow more of the "good" creators who were just skimming being able to make a living off of it despite having a HUGE following AND patreon AND swag they just weren't pulling through the month and had to reduce their content to one video every two weeks or a month or even per year to be able to have time to work a job that would actually sustain them.

this would not only allow for a much greater number of "fulltime youtubers (or whatever the name derived from the alternate website)" and also encourage quality content since who gets a slice would be subject to "mature" user's (youtuber's) appreciation.

anywho the biggest question is where in the heck would the (GARGANTUAN) original funding for a ballsy google competitor come from?
    tunsel11 likes this.
  6. tatsujb

7. tatsujb

awesome collab between top american youtube star and top french youtube star
    squishypon3 likes this.
  8. tatsujb

9. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Could someone tl;dr this? Or I guess "wrong country; didn't watch" equivalent?
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The video itself basically has that.
    Timelink

But really just watch the whole video if you want to have a good laugh.
  11. dom314

I can't watch it because I'm in Australia, and they have chosen not to allow australians to see it.
  12. cola_colin

Hmm that is weird, I assumed they just allow it everywhere, as here in Germany it works fine and on our youtube so much stuff is blocked that I have a "give me an US IP now" button integrated into my chrome for that reason xD

TLDR is:
    Nobody likes raisins in their cookies.

This is clinton:
    [​IMG]

This is Trump:
    [​IMG]
    tatsujb, dom314 and tunsel11 like this.
  13. dom314

xD
    Also, would that chrome extension work for Australia?
  14. cola_colin

It's "FoxyProxy" which is nothing more than an extension for better control of proxy settings.
    I have a virtual server I need anyway setup as a private proxy.
    So yeah it sure would work, but needs a proxy server. Just for youtube unblocking that may not be worth the 5$ a month. Although having a little server somewhere in the "cloud" turns out to be a very helpful thing in so many ways, it's well worth it imho.
  15. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

While the youtube is blocked for us @dom314 here, you can go to their Facebook page and view the video there. Just google last week tonight Facebook.
    dom314 likes this.
  16. tatsujb

17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

18. tatsujb

19. tatsujb

20. tatsujb