Where do we go next?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by gary235, September 9, 2016.

1. gary235

gary235 New Member

So, I bought Planetary Annihilation TITANS from Steam last week, being a big fan of Total Annihilation and Supreme Commander/Forged Alliance. I must confess the game is fantastic, it's quirky to look at and it plays quite nicely.

The question is, going forward Uber Entertainment are going to support the game, add to it, expand it, etc? Seems like it'd be an awful waste to let what could be one of, if not the best RTS games ever thought up and not take it forward.

Is there future expansions in the pipeline?
    n00n, Clopse, tracert and 1 other person like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

hard to say the last big update is over 2 month old and uber remained quiet since ... even before that there wasn't much comunication between the devs and the forummates ...

personaly while i hope there to come more i rather doubt it as the majority went over to develope the envelop vr
    and what little remains of uber works on their VR game
    Last edited: September 10, 2016
  3. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Uber sleeps, fellows weep. PA is done, maybe it'll get spun. Grab your turban, drink some bourbon.

PA is unlikely to go anywhere except for maybe some bug fixes/superficial changes (even so, that's an extremely unlikely "maybe"). Plain and simple: PA doesn't have anywhere to go. The community isn't big enough, the amount of people playing slowly dwindles. People in general just aren't sticking around. The golden age of PA is long behind us and we're not going to see another one.

Now we wait for the next actually decent RTS (that's actually an RTS, straight and true to the term like the term MOBA is) to release within the next 10 years or so. Not too bad of a wait really, at least when taken in perspective.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  4. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I wouldnt get your hopes up for the future. Making good profit with an rts game is hard. I think its one the hardest genres to earn some good money in. If we look at the rts games that have come out the last two years then none of them did really well. So many flavours in the genre itself and it also has a steep learning curve. If there would come an update or anything then it probably has to come from the community
  5. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

There might be another update this year.
  6. ljfed

ljfed Active Member

7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well the truth is the community kinda killed PA (more specifically, Steam). The devs made PA via a Kickstarter and then early access on less than a shoe string budget- then got hounded by the community for being 'scammers' and everything else you can think of for the privilege. In my opinion Uber are a company made up of a team of very talented software engineers- they however lacked in the PR / Marketing areas and that is what caused a lot of the issues.

Case in point is Titans- they made the expand-alone update, and gave it away *free of charge* to their original 44,000 Kickstarter backers, whilst offering the game to everyone else who owned the original a substantial discount (I think i twas 66% off). Result? Steam went crazy and there is still a hardcore group of '**** Uber Entertainment' on there. I can't see them attempting another sequel after that honestly.

Edit: By the way, Uber did attempt a kickstarter for a second new RTS. Do a quick google for 'Human Resources' and you should find the original Kickstarter page with the promo trailer. It looked great. Then if you carry on and read the comments section you'll see what killed it off before it got started. The failure of HR cost Uber half the company. Now they are running with a skeleton crew making a VR game for Sony (I believe it's a launch title for PSVR, called 'Wayward Sky' and it looks pretty nice actually). I guess we'll find out the future of Uber and PA once Wayward Sky is out, although I wouldn't hold out too much hope.
  8. felipec

felipec Active Member

That is really really sad. I mean, PA is one of the greatest RTS games ever created. The most innovative. And people who doesn't understand **** about game development killed it.

Wargamming is (likely) working on TA 2 with Cris Taylor as designer leader, that is our hope on the RTS genre.
  9. MrTBSC

i have my doubts TA 2 will be anything like the original to be honest
    probodobodyne, xanoxis, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  10. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I hate generalising "this community" as being the downfall of Uber on the PA scene. I personally blame it on a very vocal group that loved to for some reason spread misinformation and constantly rant especially after the release of titans (as to why this was done exactly is beyond me). PA did have some rough moments some of which I believe the flak was deserved, but the way these people carried on astounded me.

Other than that all that we can hope for is for Uber to somehow manage to get back on their feet through other projects then maybe consider revisiting this game in the future. Until then have to rely on the modding scene for most new content.

In regards to a potential TA 2 be careful with hyping that. After supcom 2 (given that was driven by square enix) and their attempted kickstarter (imo didn't look interesting to me) especially you should remain cautious or else you risk the hype killing the game for you on release if it does not live up to unreachable hype. All I can say is that if they go for a TA2 I hope that they include good mod support and not supcom 2 levels of community neglect. I'm not saying not to be be interested in it, just keep that hype at reasonable levels :)
    Too many games are killed off nowdays because people expected waaay too much from them and then complained on release due to their own unreasonable levels of hype.

I do have something planned for PA beyond Legion (PA: Doomsday), and even have quite a few models done, but at this point in time am too flooded with work to learn how to rig, animate and texture all those units. Also I have been a bit lazy recently. Legion kind of took it out of me with the amount of models I did for that.
    lulamae, radongog, cdrkf and 6 others like this.
  11. duncane

duncane Active Member

PA is almost perfect as it is. And Legion has shown that anyone can mod it if they think something is missing.

GG Uber ent
    xanoxis likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

take your time, no reason to push it ...

personaly what saddens me is that we didn´t get many more people that could create more content and of course the people who chose to leave because of drama ...
    xanoxis, lulamae, Nicb1 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Personally I feel the competitive scene needs a lot of work. The ladder even though the top ten is being populated by the best players at the moment- is terrible. Any aspiring players will be irked by the occasional one game by the the top ranked players to try and pursue the top rank.

As I have said many times, something as simple as a a score system, seeing how many points gained or lost, or how much more
    points are needed to gain a position on the ladder is all it needs for more ranked games.

No risk or decay for the top players and also no goal will make those players also play less. I know this is part of a the puzzle; but I'm sure it will increase 1v1 games more than double; would make this the come to game for me and players alike to play.
    lulamae, stuart98, xankar and 5 others like this.
  14. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

There isn´t enough celebration yet...
    :eek:
    tracert likes this.
  15. mikeyh

MrTBSC, FSN1977, cdrkf and 5 others like this.
  16. MrTBSC

at that point i rather celebrate when things are realy done and updated ... no offense
    radongog and tunsel11 like this.
  17. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I would like to get back into modding PA, and do a new version of OWO for titans, but the old team is all busy, and I don't have as much time as I used to...
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

unless ranked got a full overhaul with new equation and better ui, player profiles or even just scores you see as you go up and down. but tell then I will not be playing PA
  19. mikeyh

Ranked is on my list. :)
    n00n, emraldis, MrTBSC and 5 others like this.
  20. mikeyh

Also coming soon is better compression for server mods.

eg legion is around 45% so that means 2x faster uploading and downloading.
    emraldis, stuart98, MrTBSC and 6 others like this.