No Audio in the game

Discussion in 'Support!' started by pontushedberg, August 21, 2016.

1. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

There's no audio at all in the game for me, nothing. Before you ask, I've tried restarting everything more than twice.
    I added my DxDiag because that might help, or atleast that's what I've been told.

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I've looked over the DxDiag.txt and nothing seems to be amiss in there. So you have no audio when using the USB headset or the external speakers?

Also, I need to ask, is the volume for PA maybe muted? Either in PA itself (Settings -> Audio) or in Windows 10 (right-click speaker tray icon and choose "volume mixer").

If that wasn't the problem, can you also upload a PA log? Those can be found in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log". You can copy-paste that location in the address bar of File Explorer.
    pontushedberg likes this.
  3. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

I have tried both speakers and headset and no audio, checked all the audio settings (both in-game and Windows) and they are all set to max. And here's the logs you asked for, wasn't sure if you wanted a specific one so here's all that I have.

And thanks for the response :)

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Thanks! Yeah, I see a problem there:
    Code:
    [00:39:55.594] ERROR crom::FmodAudioWrapper::FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Event System load failed.
    [00:39:55.594] ERROR crom::FmodAudioWrapper::FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Audio system failed to initialize!

The most likely cause is that there is some other software interfering. Could you check the list of incompatible software?
    https://wiki.palobby.com/wiki/Windows_Incompatible_Software
    If you don't have anything on that list, then also try the clean boot option listed at the end.
    pontushedberg likes this.
  5. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

Checked the list, didn't have any of the programs installed/on. And I tried the clean boot and still no audio in the game :/
  6. DeathByDenim

7. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

That was one of the first things I did, nothing was out of the ordinary :/
  8. DeathByDenim

Do you maybe have a virus scanner you can disable? It might prevent the fmod dlls from loading.
    Also can you try unplugging your USB headset altogether and see if that helps?
    Sometimes the audio driver can cause fmod to fail to initialize. You can try updating the RealTek audio drivers as yours are from 2015. I think for your motherboard, you can get the drivers here: http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5383#driver
  9. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

Updated my driver, unplugged my USB headset and used the speakers that use Realtek (my headset has it's own drivers which are up to date, although they are not really new) and then I disabled my anti-virus Avast. Still no audio :(
  10. DeathByDenim

Blegh, sorry this is being so annoying for you.

I'm not really sure what else it could be. I've searched around a bit too, but I couldn't really find much else apart from some vague FMOD related problem with the Unity engine where setting a different sampling rate in the RealTek audio settings solved it. I did find screen shot of the settings screen maybe (here), but try setting it to 96000 or 44100 if you can find it.

There is also a general thing you can try and that is scanning your system files for corruption. Windows has a tool called SFC for that. Instructions are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833
  11. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

SFC didn't find any corrupt files, everything was fine. Tried changing the format to almost everything avaliable, still no audio. Seems like I'm quite the unique case here :p
  12. DeathByDenim

Yeah, weird.

Well, a few more ideas:
    • Make a new account in Windows, preferably a username without any international characters such as รค. That will rule out any weirdness in settings and such.
    • Start PA without using Steam. Try both the PA.exe in the bin_x64 subdirectory as well as the bin_x86 one.
  13. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

Made a new account and I tried starting the game via the .exe in both directories, no audio. Now I don't find it annoying, I find it funny that such a small bug can't be fixed so easily for one person :p
  14. DeathByDenim

Well, it's really weird. I'm kind of out of ideas as to what to try next... Something is preventing the FMOD sound system from initializing properly. FMOD is a sound library that is being used by lots of games, so in the future you may come across other games without audio if they use that. Though maybe the problem is specific to the version that ships with PA (4.44.44).
  15. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

16. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

I just fixed it, when I didn't even try to fix it lol. I needed some more space on my SSD so I moved some games over to my bigger hard drive, and one of those games was PA:T and now the audio is working in the game. If only I'd try that earlier :p
  17. DeathByDenim

That's bizarre... and a little bit worrisome. You may want to check your SSD with the Samsung tool, just to be safe. See http://www.samsung.com/us/support/owners/product/MZ-75E250B/AM
  18. pontushedberg

pontushedberg New Member

Checked it out, nothing out of the ordinary except for a bit lower speed (probably because the SSD is almost full). And I tried putting the game on the SSD again and, nope, still no audio. But then when i put it back on the hard drive it's working like it should.