Games!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 4, 2015.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

The comments section gave me cancer.
    But then again this is the internet what else is new.
    Geers likes this.
  2. Geers

Geers Post Master General

This is brilliant:

3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

At exactly 19:00 Steam was a little confused.[​IMG]
    Geers likes this.
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yes. that's exactly what I said. and I also proposed how to

make it an easy and controversy-free process.

I really see that case figure as intentionally trying to sabotage your game. why, if you were to have an MMO aspect, would you refuse yourself sending the hole to the server upon it's making?

of course you would send it. and then the pre-launch sync would prevent you ever missing it.
    NO! :<

vindaloo is somehow healthier than video games! /S
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. xankar

xankar Post Master General

rip no man's sky purchasers.
  6. cola_colin

?
    I am still alive. Only making a break to get some food. So far it was a clam walk on a forest planet and playing run-in-circles-behind some weird animals that apparently were pretty scared of me.

Synching all changes all players make means a lot of dev work ;)
  7. Geers

Ugh. Still super on the fence about it. On the one hand I really like the idea of just trawling about the galaxy and upgrading my little ship. Like what I wanted to do in ED except not annoying as fluck because those stingy bastards sitting in the space station never wanted to pay more than 50k for my timeniknqaviijndjnknsevfdnv

/rant.

Anyway, on the other hand, there doesn't seem to be much to it besides mine 'n' move on. And I honestly don't know how long that'll last me before I just give up on everything.
  8. cola_colin

I can get it to run triple screen. :)

[​IMG]

Just the UI ... does not like that.

[​IMG]
    Geers, tunsel11 and tatsujb like this.
  9. tatsujb

WHAAAA

thay did not prepare for the master race to be playing iiiiit???

WHAAAA???
  10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I was beginning to think that my PC was on the mark of being too old.

Good/bad to see im not the only one playing at 15 fps.
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

If the entire world is procedurally generated, does that mean some giant storage hardware needs to keep all that data in memory so people can see the same stuff if they return to a location in space?
  12. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I played for 7 hours, the most frustrating was the start.

Open the game, the game loads up and drops me in the world after a 7 min loading time, it's a ******* slide show.

Open the option menu, because having a MAIN MENU IN A GAME IS OLD SCHOOL AND CRAP APPARENTLY! Takes me another five mins to figure out that you can click on some buttons, others you have to click and hold? The ****?

Change the FPS counter from default 30 to 60, im not sure anything changed. Changed the resolution to my own rather then the default 19 billion by six googleplex.

Reload the game to make the changes, the game hadn't saved as I only spent time in the options menu, so basically a re-rolled my world gen? Good by green world (In retrospect, the desert world I got after the third time loading the game was baller as hell.)

Wait another 5 mins of "UI loading lol" before it lets me open the options menu again. Utter shite.

Change the mouse sensitivity from like, 60 to 0. Mouse acceleration and drifting around my screen was making me really really ANGRY!

The games overall UI is ******* awful. Sure, most people don't have a magical auto-gen map to tell them where to go, but JUPITER'S COCK it would be helpful.

After that, the game became fun and enjoyable, the UI is still literally cancer, the games performance is still a regular 15-20 fps. But I used to have Vista, so potatoes are nothing new to me...

Rebuilt my starting ship, few around and found an outpost. Crashed ship beacon? FREE STUFF!

Find a marginally better ship and trade up, having to take another half an hour to rebuild the wreak.

Spend time building up my resources and exploring my starting world, taking trips to the nearby moon and space station as I'm following the Atlas Path. The world of Medan. Found some cool animals, they only marginally look like spore creatures. Explored dozens of outposts and found all the animals not long before I got my one drop of interstellar fuel and punch it.

Being bum-chums with the Klingons or whatever they are called right now. I know how to make my own interstellar fuel and some OG game me a omni-tool ASSAULT rifle to replace my pee-shooter. It's only got two weapon mods and it's mostly a scanning-mining laser gun bit it's still cool as hell. I'm working towards getting a better ship, one of the Klingons ones, as it's the same type as the one i salvaged. Blocky non-aerodynamic goodness!

Got a scooba suit mod for my self, and I seem to be on a verdant water/dino world.

Once I get a better ship, and complete the mods I want on my stuff (If I can find random resource #526) I might start going down the Atlas path more, but for now that good for one day.
    cdrkf, Geers and tatsujb like this.
  13. tatsujb

at this point we don't know whether they do or don't store the changes.

my idea for storing them would be: you have procedural key plus procedural key. one unchanging for the universe one re-generated with each change to the universe and representing those changes. (or potentially even one key) basically you compress the data.

with this sort of compression you can store quite a lot with quite little.

@igncom1 loved the rant! x)
    igncom1 likes this.
  14. cola_colin

I can agree with igncom: The UI is pretty much cancer. It's especially bad when you play on 3 screens, as it just stretches the UI to fit it, which looks ugly is increases the clunkyness from "high" to "extreme".
    The plus side of 3 screen gameplay is that it adds a lot to immersion. If you're fine with cutting your fps number in half and happen to have the screens I recommend you use them.

All in all I am pretty pleased. It's a very atmospheric game with little action. You have to really put your state of mind into it, but if you do it feels good to play.
    You're alone on weird planets with weird animals and occasional aliens whose language you don't speak. You slowly lean single words of their languages, you get help from mysterious people as well as from some mysterious entity called ATLAS.

Unlike igncom I decided against fixing up another ship and kept my current one. It's decent enough, I made 2 warp jumps so far. The first based on resources that the mysterious people (who say ATLAS is the bad guy) gave me and the 2nd based on a warp cell ATLAS gave me. ATLAS wants me to jump again now. Somewhere. Into deep space. To wherever my destination is supposed to be in this endless sea of stars.

This game lives from your own dreams of a journey through the stars.

Planetwise I actually felt the biggest impression so far on a planet that was pretty barren. Acid rain, when landed and sitting in my ship the rain drops make sounds when hitting the windows of my ship.
    No visible animals or plants. A closer look however revealed a bunch of fish under water. Hiding under water also protected ,from a storm that would've killed me otherwise.

Also I find the most efficient strategy (and most fun) to explore planets is one of constant "land" "walk and scan a bit" "fly to next interesting point" "land there".
    Flying over planets is very restricted however. It's like you're not actually flying yourself, but only ask an autopilot to go somewhere. That autopilot however cares a lot about your savety. You've can't crash your ship into the ground basically. No matter what you do the ship prevents you from getting too close to the ground.
    The view when flying low is pretty cool though. What really blew my mind was spinning the ship while in low flight. Pretty cool view.

It locally stores your changes afaik. It does not share your changes with other players, again afaik.
    It only stores changes, the world is generated on the fly, so I doubt it needs much storage space for the personal save of a single player.
    My game data folder in appdata that appears to be the storage for my game is a few mb big after 7h of play.
    Last edited: August 13, 2016
    Geers likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

ye that's what i'm talking about though. Doesn't every position and new creature need to be stored in something? (Maybe that's why there's no multiplayer, because having millions of people roam around and uncover thousands of miles/kilometers of data takes up too much server space?)

or maybe I don't understand the procedural generation concept.
  16. cola_colin

It's basically a streaming concept. But instead of constantly loading a predefined (as in stored on a disc and made by a designer) world from somewhere it loads a world that is defined only via a generation algorithm.
    Meaning the game has a function that takes as input your location in the universe and the changes you might have made on the location (mined a rock) and then that function calculates how the world looks like in that location.
    So you don't need any storage space for the world at all. It dynamically creates the world around you as you move and throws away stuff you are too far away from. All players use the same generation algorithm, so we can both find the same planet in the same place, as basically that location maps to what you find there via that generation algorithm.

That eats a lot of cpu btw, my i7 6700k shows 4 cores at constant mid to high loads.
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. killerkiwijuice

I was under the impression that it's completely "random" as in can't be predicted at all. So it's like a seed?
  18. cola_colin

Yes ofc it uses a seed. Any "procedural" generation always comes down to you having a complex function where you put in a few numbers and get out a world. Same numbers, same world.
    tatsujb likes this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

a quick google search shows that i didn't know what procedural generation means
    Geers likes this.
  20. Geers

Bought it on GOG.

Runs so bad even I'd beat it in a race.

It's not really grabbing me.

Gotta name a fish after a friend and then I think I'll get a refund.