Brexit

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by proeleert, May 9, 2016.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Nice use of the pre-1800 Union flag there ;)
  3. Devak

Devak Post Master General

an allusion to the fact that the irish don't want out?
  4. tatsujb

5. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Nah it's just a flag fail, the northern Irish and the Scottish voted to remain. This is just the st Andrew (Scottish) and st George cross (English). Northern Ireland which is a different country from the south of Ireland is in Great Britain, it's represented by the st Patrick's cross on the proper Union Jack.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. cwarner7264

Personally I thought it was an unintentionally clever allusion towards the common insistence that Leave supporters want to bring back the days of the British Empire :p
  7. Devak

"fun with flags"
  8. tatsujb

it can all get confusing sometimes
    Clopse likes this.
  9. tatsujb

10. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

GBP to the Euro is still 1.19!

Boy, we showed them!

:D / :( / :D / :(

I'm going to Greece in three days, what a horrendous exchange rate I got.
    Clopse, squishypon3 and tatsujb like this.
  11. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah would be nice to know how much thes drops could cost a country in the short term. Just a quick look at the figures* of holiday makers and it looks like £150m a month lost on just transactions with debit card while abroad. That is pretty crazy without taken into account people bringing cash and their hotel fees etc.

*Overseas debit card spending in 2014 was £33Billion
  12. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

So how's the brexit going?
    tatsujb and tunsel11 like this.
  13. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Lol.. well for all the triumphant 'nothing happened to the economy' from the leave voters- we're now facing a steadily declining currency, price rises across the board due to import costs on, well, everything as the UK *doesn't bloody make anything anymore*- which is inevitably going to lead to a hike in interest rates, which will in turn screw all the people up to their eyeballs in debts and mortgages who will no longer be able to afford the repayments... and so far we have got exactly 0 in return for all this and there's 0 commitment from the government on what it even envisages it will get.

So far we only know that they will trigger article 50 by next march. No concrete plans to fix anything. Oh and the government is busy cutting jobs left right and center in the public sector AGAIN (a good friend of mine is facing redundancy yet again in the new year after already being moved departments earlier this year due to cut backs, department mergers and generally being told to do the same workload with less and less staff).

All I can say is, it's going to get worse before it gets better... :/
    tatsujb and mwreynolds like this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

15. Devak

Basically there's still no brexit and still no idea on what it looks like. Also, the UK is busy burning their bridges.
    Well, the promise was immediate triggering of article 50 -which would've been devastating. In stead the reaction has been smeared out, which means it's not quite the doomsday predicted but the pain is starting.

Every day there's no Article 50 trigger means that Brexit is less likely to really happen.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  16. cdrkf

The thing is it will happen in some form, however I think the reality of it will be a long way from what most leave voters had in mind. We can't just isolate ourselves from our neighbors after all.

Personally, I just hope they sort this all out, and then everyone can move forward again. The uncertainty has just put so much on hold- businesses holding off on investments for example, while everyone waits to see where this goes.
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. skyhigh91

skyhigh91 New Member

I feel that the UK will negotiate deals with the EU and the effect will not really be felt that much to be honest.
    cdrkf likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Hopefully, in the long term at least, although the short term isn't looking so good.

The value of the pound is terrible at the moment- which is forcing all the prices up on fuel (which jumped 15p / litre since the vote in my area), food and so on. Meanwhile pay isn't increasing and industry is definitely spooked by the whole thing. The main issue though is the length of time it's going to take before this is all sorted- officially the decision to start the two year process should happen in March next year- however I have a feeling it's going to get blocked one way or another. In the mean time we're left in this 'limbo' state which isn't helping anyone...
    tatsujb likes this.
  19. Devak

I think that by the time the UK is in any position to brexit, the popular opinion will have turned against it. In short, the longer this drags on, the more likely voters are going to say "**** it, might as well stay at this point".
  20. cwarner7264

I'm pretty sure this is exactly what the Remainers are banking on at this point.

Currently we're running at 68% in favour of getting on with it.