[REL] Shared Systems for galactic war 1.2.5

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by wondible, March 19, 2016.

1. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Uses System Sharing and map packs to populate new Galactic Wars.

Select the system pool from Uber's systems, your systems, sharing servers, and installed map packs.

Screen Shot 2016-03-19 at 17.26.11 .png

Use at your own risk - not all systems will be appropriate for the number of enemy commanders and subcommanders, and some are outright broken. That goes double for the default sharing server; the first one I tried the start planet collided instantly and the game couldn't start. If you find any such egregious systems, let me know and I'll add them to the blacklist.

Downloading from servers takes a bit. The default server has special case to sample 200 randomly from the first 2600 (the approximate total on 2016-03-17)

- https://github.com/JustinLove/gw_shared_systems
    - http://wondible.com/pa/gw_shared_systems_v1.2.5.zip

Changes

## 1.2.5

- Rework system loading to better support map packs with asynchronous loading of system lists

## 1.2.4

- Add "Water World" to the list of broken systems

## 1.2.3

- Partial support for fromRandomList, as used in Galactic War AI Overhaul

## 1.2.2

- Handle explicit planets included in system templates, which may occur due to other mods, e.g. Galactic War AI Overhaul.

## 1.2.1

- Return a unique object from premade systems to prevent overwrite from the system being selected multiple times.

## 1.2.0

- Remember selected system groups
    - Deselect a server if system fetch fails, to prevent Go to War from getting left disabled
    - Tooltips for remote icon and progress to explain multiplanet
    Last edited: January 8, 2023
    cptconundrum likes this.
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

For the ones downloaded from servers, is this caching the systems once the GW starts? Pulling them every time could be a bit much for v1.0 servers. I guess I never did switch them over to the much better v2 server that @svenbrnn wrote.
  3. wondible

GW systems are set once the game starts, so it's only used on the start/setup screen. I need to hit the server list every time the start screen loads, and then lazy-load things only when selected for inclusion.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I've chosen this GW mod at random to say, please wondible, PLEASE can you standardise your naming and tagging for your GW mods :p Finding them is a pain in the ***.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. wondible

What are you searching with, and what aren't you finding?
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. Quitch

Galactic War.

Everything starting GW.

gw should be the tag but Galactic War should be in the name IMO.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. wondible

I thought search did title, description and tags, but I haven't looked recently.

Tags are pretty arbitrary so I went with the more descriptive one, but I can switch if it's more prevalent elsewhere.
    stuart98 likes this.
  8. Quitch

stuart98 likes this.
  9. wondible

GW Shared Systems -> Shared Systems for galactic war 1.0.3 - Update title and tags
  10. Quitch

Few suggestions:
    1. When still loading maps from the shared systems server, have some form of indicator to denote why the Go To War button is not clickable.
    2. Remember my settings from last time
    3. Indicate which items are packs (local) and which are shared systems (remote) either through icon or categorisation
    4. Along with system count a count of the number of those systems which are multi-planet
    5. Hide remote systems by default to avoid loading delays and clutter, and have a user specifically have to check something to show them
    Great mod though, hopefully we'll get it on to recommended mods. It's something a lot of people are looking for.
    lulamae likes this.
  11. Quitch

I've created a guide around how to use this mod.
    lulamae likes this.
  12. wondible

Shared Systems for Galactic War 1.1.0

- Add a loading indicator to system groups to better indicate why Go To War is disabled
    - Add an icon to remote systems that may take a bit to download
    - Added count of multiplanet systems in parenthesis
    Quitch likes this.
  13. Quitch

This is still 1.0.3 in CMM.
  14. wondible

Ah yes, forgot to check the file directory
  15. Quitch

This is a great improvement! The multiplanet thing probably needs a tooltip to be clearer.

It appears the Go To War button can remain greyed out if a remote server fails to load. If I select Voices of War from the list, the number displayed as 0 (not 0/0) and the load icon almost immediately disappeared. This greyed out Go To War until I unselected the system. Perhaps a failure to connect in this way should just automatically deselect the system and display an error indicator or something, or maybe one of those light grey crossed-out cloud icons or some such.
  16. wondible

Shared Systems for Galactic War 1.2.0

- Remember selected system groups
    - Deselect a server if system fetch fails, to prevent Go to War from getting left disabled
    - Tooltips for remote icon and progress to explain multiplanet
    Quitch likes this.
  17. Quitch

The mod appears to mix up the system descriptions when handling maps that have their own descriptions.

Steps to reproduce
    1. Install Shared systems for galactic war
    2. Install WPMarshall's map pack
    3. Start new Galactic War
    4. Select WPMARSHALL as the only map tab to enable
    5. Go to war
    Expected outcome
    1. Neutral systems will have a name and description from the gw_intro_systems array.
    2. AI systems will have a name and description that matches the primary AI opponent
    Current outcome
    1. Neutral systems have AI names and descriptions
    2. AI systems have the wrong name and description
  18. wondible

Shared Systems for Galactic War 1.2.1 - Return a unique object from premade systems to prevent overwrite from the system being selected mutliple times.
  19. Quitch

I've recently identified an issue in the parsing of boss planets by this mod. Currently in template-builder.js it maps the boss system planets to rSystem.planets. However, it assumes that generator will always have an array associated with each of its numerical properties, but the template-loader.js spec allows for isExplicit: true, which means the planet can have number values i.e. it's a planet you'd find in a map pack.

template-builder.js therefore needs to have alternate behaviour for handling planets where the isExplicit property is set to true.

You can see this bug by installing Galactic War AI Overhaul. The following error will then be thrown in the gw_start scene, preventing the player going to war:

Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property '0' of undefined - template_builder.js:45
    Last edited: August 7, 2020
  20. wondible

Shared Systems for Galactic War 1.2.2 - Handle explicit planets included in system templates, which may occur due to other mods, e.g. Galactic War AI Overhaul.
    Quitch likes this.