Any good cheap graphics card?s

Discussion in 'Support!' started by noobassassinz3, July 3, 2016.

1. noobassassinz3

noobassassinz3 New Member

I honestly don't like my NVIDIA GeForce 210. Does anybody have good advice for a great cost effective graphics card? my budget is around 100 USD. looking forward to suggestions :)
    Last edited: July 25, 2016
  2. irvlipschitz

irvlipschitz Member

Nvidia has dropped their prices. A bit over your budget, but look for a deal on GTX 960.
  3. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

The 960 comes out at around £160 right now, which is literally twice the stated budget. Just looked up the USD price, it's $230: https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce-Graphics-Express-Display/dp/B00UJLDVJC

It's getting harder to get older generation cards now, too, at least on Amazon. Not getting many / any matches on the 600 and 700 series (beyond some of the 780 Ti stuff, which is way out of your price range).

I recommend maybe combing eBay for a secondhand card in good condition. Ideally you don't want anything under an X50 regardless of the generation (so a 450 or better, 550 or better, etc).
  4. irvlipschitz

irvlipschitz Member

Lots of variables. Your country of residence. Your choice of operating system. Types of output connectors that you need. Even how long you expect to wait for your next upgrade. And yes, the money thing.

I'm partial to Nvidia. I like the easy graphic driver updates, game optimizations, and ShadowPlay. Not sure, but I think Geforce Experience only runs on Windows. I suppose AMD has something similar.

Good luck. Upgrades are always fun.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

AMD's new rx 460 due out in a few weeks, targetted at 100 dollars and should be fairly quick- said to be fastest pcie powered (no external power connectors) card on the market when it comes out. I'd look out for one of those with that budget.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  6. noobassassinz3

I am looking at an ASUS AMD Radeon R7 360 Card. Is it good?
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I had a 560ti for PA when in alpha and hadn't any major problems with it.
  8. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

The GTX 1060 is coming soon, which should be 200-300$, but the 1060 is rumored to be faster than a single 980, so this should be an excellent cheap GPU.
  9. cdrkf

The R7 360 isn't a bad card- but the upcoming 460 should be much faster for the same money. If you can wait it out I'd hold fire right now.
  10. noobassassinz3

Yea, I plan on a GTX 560.
  11. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

12. cdrkf

The 950 is a much better buy now, similar price and substantially faster. Not hating on the 750ti, it's a good card, just not best value any more...
    lulamae likes this.
  13. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Agreed - But I didn't know how strict the OP's budget was.
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. noobassassinz3

Honestly everybody, I think I don't need excess power, just enough for a budget and to get the work done.
  15. cdrkf

Keep an eye out for the rx460 when it ships, should only be a few days and will be (in theory, need to see reviews first) fastest slot powered card out there. It's also priced to your budget.
  16. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

get the rx 480 if you want the best value. Simple
  17. ordinarypi

ordinarypi Member

Get the GTX Titan X: The Ultimate. It will hold you over for a long time and is TOTALLY affordable. /s

I'd looks at the RX 470 / 460. They're supposed to be decently fast for around $100 - $150. I really wouldn't look at the 9xx series, as you can get better value if you go with AMD's Polaris cards (RX 4xx), unless you can find one on a good sale, then they're fairly decent.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  18. cdrkf

Value on RX470 looks set to be the value leader for 1080p- it's 85% of the RX480 for $150...
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  19. xankar

xankar Post Master General

What is the rx comparable to?
  20. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Running pa with a 270 X on 1080p Without shadows. runs like a charm for me. so the new rx470 will definately be a good choice. or the 480. Nvidia just seems expansive right now I guess?