[Linux] Game does not start

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by LordNature, June 18, 2016.

1. LordNature

LordNature New Member

Hey, so I've had an issue and have been unable to fix it. Whenever I launch PA:T, the my second monitor flashes "black" (indicating the game starting *most likely) and precedes to crash. Steam will register my user playing the game for a quick second before going back to it's original status.

Anyways, I'm running an Intel i5 4690k with a AMD R9 370 4GB. I'm using the open-source drivers. I've tried this game with the open-source drivers before and have had no issues until I reinstalled my operating system which was right when the new "community update" launched the issues started.

I've fetched the latest log from my .local directory
    Log: pastebin.com/G6CPSQUu

Due to it stopping at driver threads, I'm deducing the problem to be with the driver; however, I sincerely doubt that it would be an issue with that.

tl;dr: Read the logs, crash to desktop, thanks in advance
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, you are right, it's the graphics stuff, but I think it's the really new Mesa in combination with outdated Steam run-time libraries. As a test, can you try running PA without the Steam libraries?
    To do so, you need to make a fake libudev.so.0 first. Go to wherever you have libudev.so.1 and make a symlink to it called libudev.so.0. It's probably in /lib64 or /usr/lib64 on Arch-like distros. Then go to "~/.steam/steam/steamapps/common/Planetary Annihilation" (or Titans?) and start PA manually from there. Does it start then?
  3. LordNature

LordNature New Member

I forgot about the library issue with non-ubuntu distributions. I was able to fix it with the command below.
    find ~/.steam/root/ \( -name "libgcc_s.so*" -o -name "libstdc++.so*" -o -name "libxcb.so*" -o -name "libgpg-error.so*" \) -print -delete

Your solution is probably a bit more longer term. Thanks for the help :).
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Not really. My "solution" simply starts PA, but doesn't log you in through Steam. It was just meant as a test. :)
    You can probably get away with a few strategically placed LD_PRELOAD thingies when launching Steam. That should make it update-resistant.

Or, you know, Steam could update the runtime. :)
  5. LordNature

LordNature New Member

I use i3 (tiling window manager), so I use Rofi to start everything. I could bind a custom keybind for steam, but that's kinda a hassle imo.