world simulator went away

Discussion in 'Support!' started by dantheman134, April 30, 2016.

1. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

sorry I tried all those and it still went away twice

Attached Files:

2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Well, it did fix all of those DNS errors you were getting in the logs. :)

As a test, could you go to settings -> server and turn the local server off? That will result in Uber's server being used for AI games and GW. Of course that means you can't play off-line, but I'm just curious to see if the crashing of the server will still occur.
  3. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

I got disconnected from the server this time

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2016
  4. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

is there a certain limit maps can handle before it crashes?
  5. DeathByDenim

Oh my, those are really large systems you have. The limit is 16 planets, I believe, but there is no limit on the sizes of those planets. So if you make them really large, they will eat all of the available memory. But you would have noticed this on your own computer since you would have run out of memory quite fast (even with the 16GB you have).
    But do you mean to say that if you have system with only one small planet that the disconnecting or crashing of the server does not occur?
  6. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

what im wondering is if there are say too many buildings or units over all the planets is it to much for the game or the servers to handle so the world simulator goes away?
  7. DeathByDenim

I suspect the server instance would be killed if too much memory is used. But you would have to make a LOT of units to reach that. It's more likely that the server just slows down more and more until it becomes virtually unplayable before you would ever run out of memory. I mean, people have 10-player games on the Pax system and it works fine.

Could you try turning the local server on again? If the server crashes again, can you upload the server log file? They can be found in "%LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation" (so not in the log directory for some reason).
  8. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

I played 2 games and both times it got stuck, it didn't quit the map but all the units were frozen, I could still move around from planet to planet. the second time the game crashed on me

Attached Files:

9. DeathByDenim

Yeah, those are actually hard crashes of the server. It kind of looks like a race condition, but I'm not sure. I'd like to see if I can reproduce it. You are not playing on one of the default systems, right? Could you export the system you are playing on, zip it, and upload it here?
  10. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

first time I have done this so I hope it works, what did you mean by race condition?

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  11. DeathByDenim

Yeah that worked. Thanks. So I played a 40 minute game against 9 "Relentless" AIs on that system, but no crash. Memory usage was well below 10GB, so you are certainly not hitting the 16GB you have.

So I'm not sure why it won't work for you. There are some general things you can try though. First is a clean boot. It will disable any other software that could be interfering somehow. Instructions for that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
    Another thing you can try is the SFC tool that comes with Windows. It will scan you system for broken system files and restore those. Instructions for that are here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929833

And race condition is a type of bug for multithreaded applications, which can lead to reading invalid memory. But since I was able to play 40 minutes with lots and lots of units on your system, that's probably not it.
  12. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

how do you win your games, I like to blow the planets up, meteors, annihilation laser, titan bombs(or whatever they are called),I build up a massive defense all around the planet so the enemy cant get on it, then I use those methods to defeat them. I know its a long shot but could that be effecting it somehow? because yesterday when a meteor hit the planet, it went into that freezing state where I could still move around but do nothing.
  13. DeathByDenim

One of the AIs used an asteroid to annihilate the metal planet. That was the only planetary casualty. I had already eliminated the other AIs using an army of Helioses fed by a huge ground army from my starting planet before I could build an Halley myself. Maybe it is the crashing of planets. That is always quite a hard event for the server to process due to all of the deaths. Maybe I should try that. I'll try building Ragnaroks all over the place.
  14. dantheman134

dantheman134 New Member

i used a asteroid to attack a planet and it froze on impact, a second game I build a bunch of those helios titans and killed all of them from space but the game played through fine. It must have been destroying the planets that was making it crash, oh well if I cant have fun destroying the planets than that it for me with this game. thanks for your help
  15. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it's strange. I blew up all of the planets from your system with Ragnaroks and Halleys, but it doesn't crash for me. I don't know what could be different...