GOG Release?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by veyronus, February 17, 2016.

1. veyronus

veyronus New Member

Hey guys,

i would like to know, if there are future plans to release this game on gog.com? :)
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

I would suggest asking @jables through direct msg or talking to gog.com

I'm personally not sure but would suggest if you want the whole game this route is a little more time consuming but saves you ~20$

https://www.g2a.com/planetary-annihilation-cd-key-steam-global.html

buying the original copy for about 2 euro then going onto steam (you download PA through steam via ID mailed to you)

http://store.steampowered.com/app/386070/

and upgrading it with titans for 15$ that way you don't have to pay (in my opinion) a pricey 40$
    Titans is a great game and I wish it wasn't as expensive because the price can scare people.
  3. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

My understanding of gog is that the main benefit is that all games there have no drm. PA and PA:T are already drm-free even through Steam, unless you count online multiplayer accounts as drm. You can get it on Steam, back up a copy for yourself (please no piracy), and be sure to have the game forever even if Valve's headquarters gets hit by an asteroid.
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

5. veyronus

veyronus New Member

wow I didn't know that the steam version is in fact DRM-free :O but nevertheless I would appreciate a release on gog.com. Its more an idealistic thing to me.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  6. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    *pirating intensifies*

Attached Files:

7. cptconundrum

It was one of the kickstarter promises. They probably would not have had enough donations if they were going to lock it down. Total Annihilation still works today and the fans know the reason for that: no drm.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

not even that factors because PA allows you to play without being logged in.
  9. tatsujb

It's something I have trouble understanding. I'm not judging I'm actually curious. why is that?

I don't find GoG to be trustworthy or to have any sort of morals. I tend to think most people who root for GoG are not aware of that and have just been suckered.

at this point asking for PA on GoG is utter lunacy because you can get it via Uber's own website in which case it's already not steam which is checkmark number one on the "what makes gog good list". then there's the fact PA doesn't come with any form of DRM whatsoever as per the the kickstarter promise; checkmark number two. Then there's no connected game manager client if you so desire by again like point one getting the uber version which is checkmark number three and superior to GoG on a level scale because that's NO client at all versus GoG actually has one that's called Galaxy and they have started to make it mandatory.

GoG doesn't have much going for it in my eyes currently :(
    Last edited: February 19, 2016
  10. cptconundrum

That's why I specifically said "online multiplayer"

That is no longer true. Once Titans was released, Uber shut down their own store.
  11. tatsujb

oh.

why?

that comes of as a silly move to me. over the many years, I've never regretted not switching my PA account to steam even though I love steam. It got me titans hassle free it kept me on top of the updates. it always worked. and it's where you could get the PTE version.
  12. radongog

The point is that there is no reason why not to be on GOG...
    ...your superiority-point isn´t valid btw: Why would a GOG-rerelease of PA use Galaxy OutOfTheBox? Exactly, no reason for it, therefor galaxy cannot be a letdown.
    With this I don´t say that the buying from Uber directly wouldn´t be superior...
    Given this a GOG-version currently would even have an advantage: DRM-freeness OutOfTheBox... (while Steam-Users would have to create an account over here first before they´d be able to download the DRM-free version)
    ...and it would even got one in advantage over the UberStore-Version: A packed installer instead of only having the downloader download everything again for each new installation!
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

the account isn't even necessary for multiplayer is it, I recall at least one instance where I saw multiplayer matches and could join them when I wasn't logged into my uberent account

now, the legitimacy of the host's client might be debatable but an uberent account is optional regardless
    Last edited: February 23, 2016
  14. cptconundrum

That was either a lan game or a custom server reporting itself to PA Stats.
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I have the faster server browser mod installed so the latter is likely.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  16. xankar

xankar Post Master General

PAG confirmed to be an appeal for "PA on GoG"? Been living in the dark this whole time.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  17. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Steam is DRM-free. All you have to do is copy the game files out of the steam directory or click on PA.exe to play. Those files are playable on any computer without the need for steam.;)

P.S. Yes please GOG.com for Titans.:cool:
  18. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Steam is DRM free. Period. SteamWorks is the DRM and is not mandatory for being on Steam.
  19. radongog

Next stable release would be a good moment to get it on GOG... :)
  20. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

but PA:C and PA:T do use SteamWorks SDK for updating, achievements, etc. It just doesn't use DRM part.;)
    Quitch likes this.