[REQ] 4k monitor support mod?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by lokiCML, April 18, 2016.

1. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Is it possible? :)

edit: this issue is only going to worse as more people get a 4K resolution.:)
    Last edited: April 22, 2016
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What IS the technical problem with 4k anyway?
    PA works fine when stretched over 3 1080p screens...
  3. lokiCML

4. Bledadeva

Bledadeva New Member

If you have a 4k monitor and a decent computer with a single video card, you can't run the game full screen on 1080p. 4k is too much to handle and you'll want to lower the screen resolution lower. When you try to switch your desktop screen resolution to 1080 and then switch PA to full screen mode, your screen will constantly flicker. You have to play in windowed mode which lowers your fps in game.

One way to work around this issue but not fix or solve it is.. ** I'm using PAMM to launch the game**

Launch the game in 1080p full screen - the screen will flicker so then press alt+enter to go to windowed - maximize the window (don't switch it to full screen or alt enter, just hit the maximize window button in the top right) - switch your desktop resolution to 4k - Go back into PA and press alt+enter. This will play the game in full screen windowed mode. This gives me more fps but is annoying to play this game in the top left part of my 4k screen :(

core i7 6700k
    780gtx
    16gb ddr4
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's considerably wider though.

Anyway if this is a weird issue with coherent and drivers then I don't think it is easy to fix.
    On the other hand I am not aware of reduced FPS in windowed mode. The "full screen" is just a windowed mode without borders...

The flickering in 1080p on a 4k screen sounds weird. Why would that happen?
    If you make your 4k screen run at 1080p and PA starts on that then to PA it is 1080p or not?
  6. lokiCML

I do know how a 4K screen.:) I was just asking to see for other people.;)
  7. Bledadeva

Bledadeva New Member

You'd think that would fix it... I tried switching my monitor to 1080p but it still flickers. I have no idea why it flickers. While it's flickering, I can hear my people on discord cut in and out constantly like my CPU is overloaded.
  8. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I'm looking to make a small mod very soon that will allow a larger range of GUI scale, however if you set it too high on a lower resolution its a bit of a pain in the *** to reduce it again as the Save button is far off the screen, so it needs to be a little more forgiving or dynamic/intelligent in who it offers higher sizes too.

2 other issues:
    * Crashing which I personally cannot replicate reliably, and
    * A black background / missing UI elements during game lobby. Already played around with the debugger quite a bit, can't see that it is HTML/CSS related, seems like a weird rendering issue.
  9. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Good luck ;p

That's a huge task (because each element might need to be adjusted in literally every single webpage since the autoscale is limited)
    martianhunter likes this.
  10. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

I've already done it just by editing the core JSON to increase the GUI scale slider max value, works just fine. No noticeable weirdness throughout all pages I've looked (haven't checked exhaustively though).
    martianhunter likes this.