PSA: Mod Purge

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by stuart98, April 10, 2016.

1. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The PAMM modlist was way too crowded with mods that were broken in some way. As such I've removed every server mod that predated Titans that I was reasonably sure was broken in some way (mainly unit_list.json not including titans or new coms or shadowing unit files with broken localizations). I'm moving on to client mods now. Every removed mod with a forum thread had a post on that thread saying that it was disabled. If your mod was among the disabled, fix it and it will be restored to PAMM. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to post on this thread or send me a PM.

Thanks!

-Stuart98
  2. stuart98

Elodea asked that I add the following info to the thread in case anyone lost their mod download link:
    The PAMM server stores every mod's information that PAMM uses on its server, even for disabled mods. To re-enable a mod, simply enter its identifier into http://pamm-mereth.rhcloud.com/mod and you'll be able to re-enable it so that its info (including download link) is again publicly viewable on http://pamm-mereth.rhcloud.com/api/mod. Be sure to disable it again once you've retrieved the download link so that people don't accidentally download a broken mod.
    elodea likes this.
  3. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Assumptions are bad. Once you're older and in the workforce you'll better understand the importance of testing, and that no matter how confident you are in things you know are true, you'll find you fucked up and were wrong a lot.

I appreciate your intent, but you really don't have any business disabling the work of others without first confirming that is is broken.
    jomiz, Gorbles, Nicb1 and 6 others like this.
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Oh, I'm sure he contacted the mod authors first and asked if it was ok to disable their mod or if they wanted to try and fix it first. I mean the private messaging system generates an e-mail by default so he would have gotten a fair amount of replies after a week or so. Maybe even getting a few of the older modders out of their hiatus in the process.
    Right? Right....?

(Sorry for the use of sarcasm, but this is just a bit gung ho... again...)
    Ksgrip likes this.
  5. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

Also, a broken mod is no bad. You could have added a [BROKEN] state in the name of the mod. i actually found a lot of use in others broken mods for my use. PAMM is indeed a repository were not everything has to work. I don't see modb disabling mods even after being broken
    cola_colin likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am glad you did this, because it really does need to have a list of reliable modern ones.

However, I also would urge you not to lose a list of the old mods, or a way to view them. Some people may literally back-date their build to play an older build. For whatever reason they do that, it would be nice to have working mods from that if they exist somewhere.

I *wanted* mine removed and had asked in the thread about it. That is just because I do tinker with mods and want to submit one soon after I am sure about what and how I made it.
  7. stuart98

There is *no one* who will backdate their build to an older version.