Games!

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, March 4, 2015.

1. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Hype indeed. Haven't been more hyped for a game since PA's initial early access release on steam. Been doing lots of Dark Souls 1 co-op and pvp with friends recently while I wait for the game to come out.

On the note of masochism, the game's director has claimed to be a masochist. The ways you can die in the game are ways he "wants to die like." If you want a source I'll go find it, otherwise I won't bother :p
  2. arseface

arseface Post Master General

The level design is the first Dark Souls game is among the best in any game I've played. The second game, while it had better core combat, fell short in level and enemy design.

Combat pulls much more from level design than any amount of inherent depth. Yes, the combat boils down to dodging and hitting during recovery frames. The key is that the areas in which you can dodge safely are removed and changed throughout the levels. In a number of scenarios dodging out of a situation puts you in a worse one, or soaking a hit is actually a better option than dodging.

The slower pace of the combat feels significantly more deliberate in Souls games than a normal hack-n-slash. Most hack-n-slash games bore me, Dark Souls is satisfying. Though let's be honest, it's not a hard game. It's just fair.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Beat the Pursuer, the Dragonrider, and the Flexile Sentry (first try!)

Heide Knights flucking suck though. And before you tell me they're optional I got 5 words for ya; Scholar of the First Sin.

Aaaaand Ruin Sentinals, Lost Sinner and Old Dragonslayer!

Aaaaand Skeleton Lords, Covetus Demon, and Baneful Queen!
    Last edited: March 28, 2016
  4. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

Geers likes this.
  5. arseface

You listed a lot of easy bosses, though I don't have Scholar of the First Sin. The hardest ones are probably either Skeleton Lords or Baneful Queen.

Dark Souls isn't hard, it's just fair. It's really really good, but people need to can it about the difficulty.
  6. Geers

Those were easy. I even flucked up the Skeleton Lords because I just murdered the crap out of them and forgot about the whole minion spawning thing. By the end there were 0 skeleton lords and a skeleton battalion.

Though I did summon for it so it balances out.

Set Baneful Queen's windmill on fire and poison-b-gone!
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

8. arseface

9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Subnautica is coming along pretty great. It's got more than an hour of things to do now (assuming you're rushing through the game), and a few hours of exploration and goofing around, for sure. Lots to check out, and still more updates, though release is tentatively scheduled for August.

They have a new Early Access Game-play Montage. Uses medium settings at 720p resolution, for reference of graphical fidelity. I recommend playing on the highest graphics level you can!

Did I mention that it supports VR?
    Last edited: April 6, 2016
    Geers likes this.
  10. tatsujb

you mean from the start???

I mean... i play freakin simulated projectile RTSes ....you know ....kinda the gamer equivalent of a posh Noble.

so bashing clickspam hack n' slash should be my thing. (and it normally is!!)

but disliking Diablo II is really .....hard .(sure no mixup with 3 there??????(Diablo 3 is the supcom 2 of Blizzard yet somehow much worse than that still))

I mean the mechanics and balance of this thing are air-tight. they must have spent more time play-testing then coding this thing (you should really give it a second go maybe)
  11. arseface

I have never enjoyed click-to-move controls for single unit games. It's my primary gripe with all diablo-clones, and the only reason I dropped Path of Exile.

Aside from the movement, I don't have enough experience with the games to criticize them. Though being Moria derivatives I'm willing to bet I'll dislike the loot system.
  12. tatsujb

Improbable because that's what diablo II is all about but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. :p

as for wasd: try this : https://autohotkey.com/board/topic/...diablo-2-movement-with-wasd-instead-of-mouse/

look at his final version it even does item pickup correctly : one of the things that normally can annoy in Diablo is that sometimes you're trying to move around and instead you click on some junk loot you don't want. stuff like this plus the command /nopickup in the game can be very useful.

(gotta fuckin love scripting! is there nothing you can't do with scripting???)

I gotta specify this because I had to toil through it myself : if you wanna play at 1080p You GOTTA (there literally is no choice) play with version 1.12 of the game AND offline. the only version you can buy of the game is 1.13. so you'll have to dl it. I found what I wanted with an anthology compilation that contained all versions I only ticked the US 1.12 version (and LOD) for dl before dl started and that was what I needed. you can also get this glide setup : http://www.svenswrapper.de/english/downloads.html
    gotta admit with the modern OSes; trying to run diablo in either directdraw or direct3D kinda fails vs Glide. (yes this isn't a graphically intensive game but it CAN severely lag out with those very old original drawing renderers) so first try it without. if you don't get 60FPS try it with.
    Last edited: March 29, 2016
  13. Geers

Can I just say fluck The Rotten? Because fluck The Rotten. Fluck him, fluck his little lair full of fire pits, fluck his flucking poison-spitting statues, fluck the Gutter, fluck everything about him.
    tatsujb likes this.
  14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You mean "flull" and "Glutter", right? ;)
  15. arseface

Are you just now going through the game?

So, the Pokemon Go field test in Japan has started. It's looking like it'll be good, but not great. Which is fine because it's a free android game.
  16. tehtrekd

Geers likes this.
  17. arseface

18. tatsujb

19. tehtrekd

Seems like a bit of an overreaction, now that Steam's refund policy is in place I doubt much of anything will happen.
    In fact, after seeing this news I have a feeling that refund policy was put in place in an attempt to shoo away the lawsuit, but it seems like it was too little too late.
    stuart98 and Geers like this.
  20. tatsujb

good faith and bad faith is an actual thing in court. valve should be alright they showed exemplary good faith.