Playing Old PA builds

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by sierra159, February 21, 2016.

1. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Hello PA Forums! Long time, no see!

Recently, I fiddling about with the old minecraft.jars in minecraft backdater, and I began to wonder if the same was possible with PA as well. Is there a way to backdate your PA to play on older Gamma, Beta, or Alpha builds? I'd love to be able to see and play PA like when I first bought it, all those years ago. It would be a huge nostalgia trip. So, is there a way to pull this off?
  2. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Even if someone has been keeping copies of the old files, nothing from before offline play was released would work. The earlier builds all needed to connect to Uber's servers running the same version of the game, and those get updated when new patches come out.
  3. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Awww... is there anyway to play those builds offline? Or heck, even connect to the legacy servers?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Before the server was released: No can do.
    After: If you have the version handy yes. But unless you kept them backupped somewhere you don't.
  6. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Well, that sucks. Perhaps there could be a way to make a mod that re-enables or replicates the features from those old builds, in doing so creating a similar experience.
  7. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Eh..... that would take an enormous amount of work simply because the only way I see someone could go about doing that would be to dig through forum posts that are years old and compile scraps of information from dozens of those.
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Actually pa-db.com goes back really far
    sierra159 likes this.
  9. xankar

xankar Post Master General

welp, nvmd then.
  10. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Hmmmm... That's worth checking out. I wonder how much of the older game builds is still left in the current game, and how much could be altered to restore older elements...
  11. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

At best you could give it something close to the old balance but with the current game code/mechanics. There are a lot of things that wouldn't work the same way as before if you tried this.
    sierra159 likes this.
  12. sierra159

sierra159 Member

Well, that's a shame. Thanks for the help and info.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

This could somewhat be done afaik. Online, nope. Lan, yes. You would have to have the entire build, not just the units jsons, on the older ones.

Alternatively, with some text-file sorcery, you could apply important values (weapon target layers, health, speed, travel layer, damage, rof) from older versions to newer versions. Text-sorcery isn't that hard, scripts in python or windows powershell via ruby can do it, but you have to actually know how to script an automated script to read values from 1 file and transfer them to another.
    sierra159 likes this.
  14. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I have visions of anyone at Uber who has the misfortune of reading this ridiculous post face-palming hard.
    dom314 likes this.
  15. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

why would you want to, anyways
  16. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

PLEASE NO- NOT THE GRENADIER SPAM NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooo
    -Rip Stinger
  17. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

The question isn't so much "Why would you want to" but more "Why would you think Uber would help you even if you could?"
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I might be able to retrieve old builds if I had their update server's URL. I can do it for other games - open a REST client and input a request.
  19. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Afaik @raevn kept a copy of all the builds. Remember him mentioning it before. But I may be wrong.
    Last edited: March 1, 2016
    Raevn, stuart98 and wpmarshall like this.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

@wondible has a copy of all of the builds as well.
    Raevn likes this.