Writing a chronicle of PA's long journey

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by cwarner7264, January 14, 2016.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Completed Chapters:

About the Author & Preamble
    Chapter 1: The Grand Vision

===================

Hi all,

For some time now I've been threatening to start writing about Planetary Annihilation. It has had a profound impact on my life for the past three and a half years, and I've been very fortunate to have been as involved with it as I have, both as a community member and having been placed in Uber's trust on a number of occasions.

I've just started work on what promises to be a very long piece, which will go through the whole saga from Kickstarter to completion. It's been a roller-coaster for us all, with some amazing highs and some dismal lows, and I hope that my writing will help to revive fond memories and both clarify what went wrong on the lows and how similar situations can be avoided in the future.

I've decided that while writing, for the sake of my own sanity, I will divide it up into chapters and publish these in a blog-style format. I've been speaking with Brandon Casteel, who runs the website Wayward Strategist, and he has agreed to give me some space on his website to publish these as and when they are completed. Once the whole thing is finished, I expect to make it available somewhere as a single, long, continuous read.

I will ensure to keep this thread updated with any new stuff. Please also feel free to give any feedback, comments, add things you want talked about etc.

First thing that I would like a bit of help with, however, is the name. I've come up with:
    "Planetary Annihilation: The Wrong Side of the Story" (geddit? Wrong Cat, Wrong side?).
    If anyone can do better, I'm all ears!
    Last edited: July 22, 2016
    lokiCML, Greendolph, Remy561 and 26 others like this.
  2. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Looking forward to read it :)
    Nicb1 likes this.
  3. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

"Planetary Annihilation: The Wrong Awakens"
    because reasons
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Planetary Annihilation - Kitten's Chronicles
    elodea, stuart98 and Alpha2546 like this.
  5. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am dry of name ideas right now, but I know how you feel about this project, as this as many projects have made me feel equally as passionate. I personally appreciate you doing this. You are a very good source for this, as committed to community and development as you have been. Best of luck.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  6. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

Ive been looking forward to this for quite some time now Wrong Cat :) I wish you all luck.
    If you need to get back to the roots for inspiration, feel free to jump into pa ts channels fore some team games ;)
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  7. xankar

xankar Post Master General

"Planetary Annihilation: A New Hope"
    johndewy and g0hstreaper like this.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

errr... while I LOVE the wordplay there I feel that's asking for trouble given anti-PA trolls still lurk and they may take that as an incentive for attack.

how about Planetary Annihilation : All that was and is. or Planetary Annihilation : an Epic

Planetary Annihilation : WrongCat's Tail (AHAHA!!! :D ) or "an Epic tail"

also browse over my SimPro RTS article for inspiration if you want.

I had to make it short for the magazine : https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzN9wSaRvA86T0piWUJoOUwzTWM/view?usp=sharing

and here's the longer version (with a different writing style) before reviewal : https://docs.google.com/document/d/1-H4-ZrsRWuG9NvPotkAk3mUFWzASQdQMQhqa59RuBwI/edit
    Last edited: January 14, 2016
    cdrkf, Nicb1 and cwarner7264 like this.
  9. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

Planetary Annihilation: When idiots ruin a good game

;-; why they do this
  10. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sounds great @cwarner7264 - if you want I can hook you up with a domain name and free hosting, like a simple WordPress blog so you can do your own thing with it, but sounds like you've already got a space for it :) Looking forward to reading it!
  11. cwarner7264

I see the point you're making. I'm writing this in full expectation that it'll be attacked by PA's detractors. I'm not really hoping to change any minds with this; honestly both sides have dug their trenches and are sat in there pretty tight hurling insults at one another. So with that in mind, I'm not going to be treading on eggshells while writing this.

It's not my intention to provoke, either though. And I do like the tale/tail thing too, that's very amusing :D I may reconsider.

@zihuatanejo thank you very kindly for the offer :) I'd considered setting something up but I decided I didn't want the hassle of setting up / maintaining a whole website just for this. I just want to crank out the words, and I've already been chatting with Brandon for a while, so this seemed a neat little solution.

Thank you all very kindly for the support - it means a lot :)
  12. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd personally vote for 'wrongcats tail', it's amusing and doesn't set expectations as to the stance of the article. I'll be very interested to read this :)
    mishtakashi, stuart98 and tatsujb like this.
  13. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

hah! one more vote for my brilliant idea! :D :D :D :D :p
    cdrkf likes this.
  14. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Noice! Please, just don't forget to mention the epic nautical pun thread :p
    stuart98, cwarner7264 and tunsel11 like this.
  15. zihuatanejo

A wise decision sir, focus on the content first ;) When might we expect to read this article?
  16. cwarner7264

When I finish each chapter :p I'm writing the first now. I won't hold to a strict schedule because I can only write when I get the free time.
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

So you promise you'll deliver a 1000 page book by the end of the month.
    I'll make preparations to form an angry mob if you don't.

:D
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yep he said it in a live stream after being up for 48 hours doing work- so must be true and now he's 1000% accountable for it! Let's be extra fair to him and allow him to only release 998 pages by the end of the month...
    stuart98 and dom314 like this.
  19. zihuatanejo

Be sure to release chapters 2 onwards for free as well... lol ;) Otherwise people who didn't believe in you from the start will get grumpy or something. I'm trying to be satirical, I don't think I'm doing a good job of it...

Do a kickstarter pledge for your writing project, then give your backers an extra bonus chapter free of charge, as a thank you for their support and belief at a time when you had written nothing at all! That won't backfire at all or draw any unwarranted criticism... :p
  20. cwarner7264

This made me genuinely chuckle out loud :p
    tatsujb and cdrkf like this.