Spoiler Thread for Force Awakens [SPOILERS!]

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by Geers, December 18, 2015.

1. Geers

Geers Post Master General

No. Why would it be?
  2. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

Planets collide and cold and that...
  3. Geers

Collide with what? They're in space. Which is notable for being REALLY empty.

And they'll just hyperspace it to another sunny system before cold becomes an issue. Plus I'm sure the interior sections have central heating.
    Gorbles likes this.
  4. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

"nonsense" is defined by the reader. In this case, you.

It's an impossible point to argue, because it's an opinion you're fully entitled to.
  5. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

The space is not empty, there are usually many objects orbiting a star.
    I thought it was just a big weapon built inside a planet, didn't know about a hyperspace motor.

@Gorbles I'm not fully entitled to that, that's why I'm asking if is there a better explanation. It's like the difference between low and high fantasy, I prefer high.
  6. Gorbles

Which is precisely what I said. It's personal opinion, what you prefer.

Star Wars has never been anything approaching low fantasy. The tagline that precedes every single movie in blue text is clear evidence of this alone.
    igncom1 likes this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

8. tatsujb

9. tatsujb

10. Geers

Sure, with a shiteload of EMPTY SPACE between them all. If the sun just magically vanished everything would just fly off in whatever direction it was going when the sun was there. It's not going to suddenly decide "Well I hate the dark HOLD ME" and go hug another planet.
    igncom1 likes this.
  11. Devak

Devak Post Master General

Starkiller base is powered -in it's entirety- by a star. The weapon, but also the base itself.

The energy required for blowing up a planet is actually almost insignificant next to the power a star would provide in such a short timeframe. So there's the obvious "where does all the rest of the power go?" Well, part of it goes into the hyperspatial nature of the weapon (Blowing up four planets would equal four deathstars, and Starkiller is clearly bigger than four deathstars combined). The rest i would expect to be put into the base's engines.

Aspects like keeping the planet powered and heated are, once more, insignificant next to the power to blow up a planet. So Starkiller can either absorb a star and comfortably move around, or fire a couple of times. Since the sun was still there the first time it fired, it makes sense that Starkiller can just absorb part of a star and fire. The second time in the movie, it would have to move (since the star is gone) so it absorbed enough to both fire and then relocate.

Relocating a planet is not as difficult as it sounds (in Star Wars) as the Death Star already had the technology. Starkiller also essentially has a Death Star laser married to a gargantuan hyperspace engine (since that's how it fires across systems). I would expect relocating Starkiller to be no more (but also no less) difficult than moving a Death Star.

Lastly, the cause for the destruction of Starkiller was apparently the rupturing of fuel tanks, which makes little sense (you have the power of a star!) unless Starkiller actually disassembles the star and uses it for fuel (since a star is a giant heap of fuel).
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Just saw it in IMAX 3d. It was great.

Anyone who disagrees is wrong.
    Gorbles, mered4, Nicb1 and 2 others like this.
  13. Devak

Surprise surprise, there are people that hate it. Most record-breaking movie and people still find something to hate.
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

yeah there are always people like that. Politics is like that too :p
    Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  15. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

It blew up because they blew up the primary thermal thingy that kept the sun's energy contained. Nothing to do wiht fuel tanks - probably more to do with magical star-hydraulics or something.
  16. Devak

As they evacuate, Hux (or the goon talking to hux, i don't remember the specifics) says that the fuel tanks have ruptured.
  17. Geers

The Force Awakens visual dictionary is out. Go look at that.
  18. tatsujb

My fav scene : "GUAARRDS!!!! GUAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARDSSS!!!!!!"
    [​IMG]
    cdrkf, stuart98, Devak and 1 other person like this.
  19. tatsujb

20. Gorbles

To be fair you don't need to take "fuel" literally. Could easily just be a suspended plasma containment cell. Replace "suspended plasma container" for "fuel" because who the eff is going to care about the specifics.

Maybe the Visual Dictionary will help. I want to pick me up one of those, just for Ren's lightsabre page (yes he has a page on his lightsabre, yesssss).