Is PA finished?

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Remy561, November 22, 2015.

1. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

Bring out Titans, get money, have a "reason" to quit development, run.... So seen this coming
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'd hardly call 3 years of active development 'running with the cash'... And uber haven't shut down for that matter, they're developing a new game for ps4 currently, so I think it's fair to say funds from titans is helping fund the development of wayward sky.
    Nicb1, Remy561 and stuart98 like this.
  3. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Better not be 'finished'. Theres still ALOT of custom commanders they owe people, and still ALOT of bugs to fix...
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

[​IMG]
    websterx01 and BulletMagnet like this.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I am with you, but it is just the currently more than a month of silence that worries me. It could be that they moved to TITAN ish updates, like one big secret update every x months with a lot of changes instead of small changes every month. But for some reason I think they are winding development down and move on to the next project.

Maybe we can get an official statement from @jables or someone else who manages the community now.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  6. w33dkingca

w33dkingca Active Member

As in said. Seems they made titans so they could say they have finished PA and the drop the game and run with the last bit of cash they scraped from titans, this is why we were all pissed off at titans in the first place!!!!!!!
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If you have anything to say that isn't vitriolic slander, say it. If not, then leave the forums.

Uber has shown more dedication to their games than virtually any AAA game developer. If you are too willfully blind to see this, then so be it. But keep your baseless and irrational slander away from here.
  8. cdrkf

What part of "the company is still going and developing a new game" translates into 'ran off with the cash'?!

Uber is a small firm who built a complex game on a shoe string budget. No AAA developer would touch the project with a 100ft pole due to there being not enough money it in (niche of a niche genre). Chris Taylor (lead dev on TA and SupCom) didn't think it could be done.

The end result though was that it A: could be done, and B: there was enough in it for Uber to make at least *some* money from it (long enough at least to get to Titans). That said it obviously wasn't a AAA game as otherwise they wouldn't have been forced to down size the studio and lose so many good people (not what any company manager wants).

If they were trying to do anything other than fulfil their commitments from the Kickstarter *trust me* they would have thrown in the towel long ago. They managed to make a very technically impressive game with a small team and minimal resources. 99% of the actual direct criticisms of the game relate to it not having features that people 'expected' (even though they were never promised), yet it doesn't take a genius to realise if you're creating something with a small budget you simply can't include every good idea from every previous game in the whole genre- it's simply not possible. The rest of the criticisms stem from the perception of Uber's business practices and really I don't see it. I see a small firm trying to do whatever they can to survive, other see a 'greedy corporation' screwing the 'vulnerable' gaming community and 'running with the money'. I don't think the facts align with that conclusion though- Uber isn't an EA. They needed to make the project pay in order to keep working on it. Now it isn't paying so they've had to wind up development. That said, the servers are still up for *both PA and Titans*, and I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple of new bug fix builds going forward if the need arises.

I mean my perspective is probably different to many others, I run a small design company (mechanical / product design rather than games) however I have faced quite a few hardships / cash flow issues whilst building up my company and I can see that Uber has gone through the same thing many times. I guess if they're guilty of anything it's not managing their public image better but then do we really want a small team of obviously talented software engineers dedicating their time and resources to PR? It *shouldn't* be necessary imo.
  9. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

You mean this piece of art?

Comments are quite funny, though.
  10. cdrkf

It's a game for Playstation VR unless I'm totally missing something?
  11. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

It would be nice to know about the future of PAT
    Nicb1, ace63, mot9001 and 2 others like this.
  12. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I agree, the current status in terms of server availability and stability and performance is worse then ever. I've experiened slowdowns, unexplainable lags, complete freezes (sometimes minutes long), the unability to host a lobby etc in the last week. I really would want to see this all fixed because the game is unplayable occasionally and this has not happened at all in months (maybe even a year). This means that when old players come back to play, they actually got worse performance then in original PA or even BETA or GAMMA. In my opinion not really a reason to stay around toolong if it isnt fixed very soon (we are dealing with this problem about a week now).
    tunsel11 and huangth like this.
  13. amphok

amphok Member

games seems dead very few game lately, they still need to add tons of stuff, i don't mind paying for them via expansion like titan

i'm returning to FAF for now, much better