SLOW Pregame Performance on iMac 5K

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by apple4ever, November 8, 2015.

1. apple4ever

apple4ever New Member

I have a brand new iMac 5K. The specs of this Mac should make PAT scream (4.0Ghz i7, 16GB Memory, AMD 395X 4GB video), yet launching takes MINUTES. In fact, moving between any screen takes minutes. In game, the graphics are fine, except the UI, which again takes MINUTES.

Help?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Try running PA with the parameter
    Code:
    --coherent-options="--renderer-process-limit=8"
    Does that increase the loading speed? I've seen this fix a slow lagging UI in-game. You can try changing the number 8 to something else as well.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Also worth trying the --softwareui tag too...
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  4. apple4ever

apple4ever New Member

Unfortunately neither of those options helped. :(
  5. DeathByDenim

Hmm, that's odd. Is this on El Capitan?
    Also, can you post a log? You can find those in "~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log". It may be hidden, but you can always paste it in the "Go to folder" menu option in Finder. (Or use <Command>+G, I think). There will be a whole bunch of them. Just delete them all, then start PA and observe the really slow UI and then close PA. It should have made a brand new log file. You can upload it here using the "Upload a File" button on this forum.
  6. apple4ever

apple4ever New Member

Well I'm an idiot. The log was definitely helpful. Ages ago on regular Planetary Annihilation I installed the PA Stats mod. The log was giving me errors about it. I totally forgot about it! I removed it and all is well. Hopefully this will help others out there.
    cdrkf and DeathByDenim like this.
  7. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

The 5 rules: reboot, update drivers, no-mods, reinstall, sell the apple and get a real computer :p
  8. DeathByDenim

"Learning experience" ;)

And, yeah, that would be an old version of the mod. The PA Stats server had to move at some point, so your computer was probably desperately trying to download stuff it couldn't reach anymore. If you still want to use PA Stats, you just need to update it and it should work normally again.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah I think with the newest server mod the old redirects do not work anymore, so people who still use a version of the mod from ... umm 2 years ago will have issues. Not that those versions of the mod did much more than error out on the pa stats server anyway.
  10. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Added a version check into PA Chat that sends you a message if you need to update your mods.
    proeleert likes this.