Planetary Annihilation Lore

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by ulbot21, November 2, 2015.

1. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

One things about TA that is fun was the expanded lore that gave reasoning and technological feats for the various factions. Will PA have a similar sort of expanded universe technological level? Considering that most members of Uber worked on both Supcom and TA, I really don't see why they wouldn't add this. Even if not many people read said expanded universe, it's still something that people like me enjoy.

What do you guys think of this?
    g0hstreaper likes this.
  2. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

3. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

Last edited: November 2, 2015
  4. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

They initially had a volunteer writer working on the story, though that fell through if i recall correctly.
    igncom1 likes this.
  5. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Hell, some of us even had a go at writing fan lore for the game.

And we did have the recent lore/retcon of the new descriptions in GW for the commanders that is pretty cool.
  6. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Stop trying to make a games company write fiction. They know **** all about fiction, they know how to design games. Go to a library or a book store and buy some sci fi fiction from a novelist.
  7. wpmarshall

Someone hasn't heard of single player modes in games :p
    igncom1 likes this.
  8. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Do you, genuinely, have any idea how anything works? I don't ask this often but a lot of your posts are dubious-level trollbait at best.
  9. elkanfirst

elkanfirst Active Member

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monkey_Island_(series)

It's not scifi, but a series of novels in the form of video games, nonetheless. First released: 1990 :p
  10. perfectdark

I didn't see the OP ask for a single player mode, I saw the OP asked for some literature to read.
  11. wpmarshall

Taking this further would take this thread off topic, though I do feel that you are making an over-generalisation here. For example, a game that I go on and on about to friends is Xenoblade Chronicles for the Wii. I didn't think that game has 'replayability' as it is a linear story. However when I did get a way through a second play-through I found that because I knew how the game ends, the cutscenes have an entirely different meaning to what they did before and a lot of the actions of the characters are given different meaning and thus provides a different experience for the palyer (given the subject matter of the story).

But I'd argue many single-player campaigns etc do have replayability anyway. Even if it is just a linear story, if the gameplay is good enough and sufficiently fun, playing it again for the sake of 'fun' is not ruled out.

Anyway, back on topic :p

As for literature in games, what's to stop a development team hiring a writer or even a creative team focused on that aspect of the game?
    Gorbles likes this.
  12. huangth

huangth Active Member

The multi-player mode is more important than the single player's.
    Many players only play the campaign story once and go for multi-player game forever.
    Single player story takes too many manpower to build, but it can't provide the long term content for the game.
    tunsel11 likes this.
  13. perfectdark

The accounts team doing a cost/benefit analysis.
  14. Gorbles

Which is worlds apart from your first post stating that games developers have no idea about science fiction.
  15. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I would love a single player only rts!

Just go full ham in the story, that'll cut the cost down!
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

He said a week before the release of Fallout 4.
    wpmarshall and igncom1 like this.
  17. perfectdark

They don't, hence the comment about them hiring a writer.

Sure.. hire a writer or a team of writers to write an amazing story... and sell it as a text file tagged onto a game that nobody will ever read. Or better yet, sell it as a special edition hard copy that only 5 people will buy. Yeah, great.

If you want science fiction stores about robots and planets then there is already a wealth of material out there.
  18. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

It costs money in order to higher a writer and make lore. Also considering Uber just layoff more employees were is the money going to come from.;)
  19. ulbot21

ulbot21 New Member

Story driven single player campaign would be great, like what supcom did.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

(and very, very expensive)
    MrTBSC, Nicb1 and Gorbles like this.
  21. Gorbles

People can have knowledge of more than one area. It'd be best if they hired someone(s), sure.

But that doesn't mean you can trash their knowledge, because you have no idea. Especially when you demonstrate such a fundamental lack of games development when you cite designers as being the whole team :)