[linux] No sound

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by dothithpopo, October 12, 2015.

1. dothithpopo

dothithpopo New Member

No sound throughout the game; all else works as normal

On opensuse 13.2
  2. linduxed

linduxed Member

I believe this is the same thing that I've been experiencing.

About two weeks ago I had it sometimes go away with a suspend-resume, but now even that doesn't work.

Additionally, previously I got the following messages in the logs:

Code:
    [23:05:55.763] INFO {{FMOD}} fmod buffer size 5
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Event System init failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Event System setMediaPath failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Event System load failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} system createDSPByType failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} sfx createDSPByType failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} battle createDSPByType failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} movement createDSPByType failed.
    [23:05:55.786] ERROR FmodAudioWrapper {{FMOD}} Audio system failed to initialize!

Today those messages are missing from the logs, in addition to there being no sound.

I'm running Arch.
  3. linduxed

linduxed Member

Is there maybe some way to rollback to a previous version of PA:T to see if there's some build that works better?
  4. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

@dfanz0r was in the process of making a patcher that could do that. The development is here: https://github.com/mdsitton/palp
    But it looks like you manually need to enter the build number in the palauncher.py file. You can probably modify the other patchers in a similar manner.
  5. linduxed

linduxed Member

Is there a place where I can get a list of all the build numbers that were publicly released?

Also, does this patcher work for the Steam version of the game?
  6. DeathByDenim

There is no public list, but dfanz0r did create one here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/warning-linux-users-papatcher-is-insecure.70244/#post-1109645

And yeah, Steam and non-Steam are identical so it should work. I don't know how Steam will react to it's files being modified by an external program though. Maybe it will detect that there is an update and overwrite everything again.

You can always just install in any other directory of course.
  7. linduxed

linduxed Member

Thank you, I'll read through the script and then try it out, see if some build works better than the current one.
  8. linduxed

linduxed Member

The patcher you linked to (and another one I've tried) only outputs a list of builds that contains "stable" and "PTE", providing no way to input a specific build number.

Any idea how this could be done?
  9. linduxed

linduxed Member

I've actually figured out what the problem is caused by:

On Archlinux (according to a player in PA Chat this doesn't happen on Debian) Pulseaudio 7.X breaks the sound, while Pulseaudio 6.X works.

I haven't figured out more than this.
  10. linduxed

linduxed Member

After looking a bit at the differences between the different versions, I think it might be caused by a difference in how Arch sets up the Pulseaudio sockets (since 7.X), but this is just a guess.
  11. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it works fine for me too on Kubuntu 14.04, which has PulseAudio 4.0 apparently. As for the build numbers, it seems the patcher I linked to isn't quite ready yet. If you look in the .py version itself however, you can see where the hard coded build number was commented out. I suspect if you put the desired build number there, then it will probably work.

I wonder what will happen if you get rid of the steam-runtime directory in PA. If you do that, then PA is forced to use the system libraries instead. This helps people with the radeonsi driver being to new for example. It may just crash PA of course. :)
  12. a123qwertz567

a123qwertz567 New Member

I hope this topic is still a kind of active....

Hello I had this problem today, too. I was able to fix it and I just registered to post here :D So this is what I did:
    First about my system:
    Arch Linux (recent kernel)
    Radeon HD 6950 with open source driver
    Onboard sound card
    Using Steam without steam runtime (I dont think this is needed for my fix)

A friend of mine can run the game without any problems and he is using Manjaro with arch repos. We compared our installed packages and I just installed all packages who have something to do with alsa or pulseaudio (steam recommends pulseaudio as dependcy). So my suggestion try to install the following packages:
    • alsa-firmware 1.0.29-1
    • alsa-lib 1.1.0-1
    • alsa-plugins 1.1.0-1
    • alsa-utils 1.1.0-1
    • pulseaudio 7.1-3
    • pulseaudio-alsa 2-3
    • lib32-alsa-lib 1.1.0-1
    • lib32-alsa-plugins 1.1.0-1
    I think that alsa-plugins 1.1.0-1 and lib32-alsa-plugins 1.1.0-1 fixed it for me because after the installation a sound stream of PA showed up in my mixer with "ALSA plugin.....".

I hope you or anybody can fix his/her game with this method.
    Last edited: January 10, 2016
    DeathByDenim likes this.