Interplanetary Artillery

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by amphok, September 29, 2015.

1. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Mobile anti-nukes would help a lot with the invasion problem.
  2. amphok

amphok Member

i think it's good to have an anti-game ender, because if someone take an asteroid and start to build the halley you can't do ****, pretty much the same with the catalyst, if they can secure one of those planet, you're screwed

there is no real way to invade a small well protected planet, right now, besides maybe the overpowered combo helios+manhattan...
  3. huangth

huangth Active Member

It is not an anti game ender.
    Once Halley or Catalyst is ready, they are still unstoppable.
    After the Halley is launched, you can't fire or send any units or nuke to the moving planet.
    For catalyst, its charge time is very short.
    I think the shells and orbital unit don't have enough time to reach the metal planet and kill the catalyst.
    The cross planet arty is just another game ender rather than anti game ender.

Since this arty can be build on any planet and shoot to anywhere, it must be more expensive than five catalysts.
    Otherwise, the metal planet and catalyst become useless because enemy can always set up the cross planet arty first.

In current version patch, you should immediately react the game ender when you see your enemy is building it.
    For example, if you see an enemy Ragnarok is under construction, you must stop him.
    Once it is ready, the last one min is not enough to deal with it.
    And the catalyst is fine, too.
    The dead star laser need 5 catalysts to launch, it provides enough time for the enemy to react.
    And it is common to see battle occurs near the catalyst, and the catalysts repeatedly get destroyed.

I think the real OP planetary weapon is the asteroid since it only takes one Halley to launch.
    But I also think it is the freedom for map designer, they can design how to win in this map.
    And the players just choose the best option to fit it.

About the Manhattan, I think it is another issue which should be discussed in other thread.
  4. amphok

amphok Member

yeah i know but you can efficiently stop it from being completed in the first place, this is what i want, right now it's very diffuclt to stop an enemies that want to "asteroid you" if the planet is secured very well, i want to have more options to deal with this threat
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Why? They'd make nukes practically useless and make lag-inducing invasions the only way to beat your enemy,. It's already super necessary in large team games - let's not make the situation worse.
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. huangth

huangth Active Member

I think it depends on how you use the nuke.
    The nuke can be used as an attack weapon, and it can become a defend against invasion.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

A very inefficient way of defending yourself at that.

Flood an enemy world with T1 fodder to waste their nuclear counter-attack.

Then send in the 'ard boys to demolish their bases.
    mered4 likes this.
  8. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I would rather see more munition types in my nuke launcher. Some tactical (mid-sized) nukes, MIRVs, napalm, etc. You could use them like arty, but could be countered by anti-nuke, maybe even blue hawks or umbrellas.
  9. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

Agreed. A salted bomb or other area denial tool would also be nice.
  10. amphok

amphok Member

as long as it can be countered it kill the whole point, i want something that do some damage and you can't simply counter it

in PAT rebuild stuff is very easy so shield are not really needed, even after a nuke in late game you can rebuild fast

this because the MEX give you plenty of metal vs the one in supreme commander, and this since the beginning 2 vs 7
  11. Phireh

Phireh Member

I think the problem with that kind of weapon is not the fact that it shoots at another planets (I'd love to have a planet-to-planet or an orbit-to-planet long range artillery) but how easily it can snipe a commander if you can manually aim it. Everything that kills the commander from another planet is visible (nuke alerts, although nukes can't instakill commander, halley, orbital units, blah blah). There's also the problem of distance between planets (unless it's a lazor annihilator style).

We already have a laser superweapon and planet-to-planet slow weapons (nukes, unit cannon, sending SXX, asteroids, etc) so it would have a very hard time finding a niche in the game when you can just add an asteroid belt and have similar results. Also it could just make planet vs planet more boring if it turtling and then spamming them faster than the other guy is the best strategy.

I'd love the idea of making a superweapon that you could send to orbit to another planet as if it were a moon, but I don't think we would get any new superweapons until the next expansion ^^