A 3477 radius planet takes some 50GB of RAM

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 28, 2015.

1. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

is there any way to lower this quantity?

when can we expect bigger planets than 1300?
  2. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I made a 10 player 1050 radius FFA planet today. Playtested it and immidiatly knew why I didn't made these kind of systems.

Game went in slowmo around 15 mins. Basically I felt like dying but really really really slow.

Though this is a very good question to ask to jables 3 question thingy. I'd lover bigger games but performance wise its all very iffy.
    Last edited: September 28, 2015
    Remy561 and devoh like this.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Just curious: Is that empirical, or estimated? server+client, or each?
  4. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I keep hoping for Uber to say "Eureka, we found some Uber sized optimizations!" beers all around! I'm sure all the large low hanging fruit has probably already been done.. but let's keep the dream alive!
    jomiz and Alpha2546 like this.
  5. tatsujb

personally I try running big planets hosted locally on a 16GB Ram 12-thread machine with 2 GB Vram I don't quite understand the issue.
  6. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

"I have a dream.." that someday the engine will be "open source" and the community can help. :D Ya I know that's close to impossible.. but it even at 99.99% impossible.. there is still a chance :)
    sgrock likes this.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

You guys.....

Just saying, but I can run a 1300rad locally on a 16GB machine with ease.

The engine is damn good as it is.
  8. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

i made a blank 5000 moon with 1 csg. didnt lag instantly but does do render squares
  9. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I maxed out just shy of 4000r with only 16GB way back in beta. To be fair though, I think that they added some stuff and only optimized for <1000ish.
  10. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's a squared relationship, so doubling radius will quadruple the surface area. The same happens for RAM then, i guess...

RIP 2000 radius planets :(
  11. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

get with the times bro, buy a mobo that supports 64 gigs of ram
  12. tatsujb

I... ..... ......own one?
  13. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I wouldn't be so concerned about that ;)

Look at this graph on price ($/MB) versus time from 1955 up to 2015.
    http://www.jcmit.com/mem2015.htm
    Despite the few bumps in there, it is a pretty straight line. Note the scale on the left side, it's logarithmic. Basically you get exponentially more memory for the same amount of money over time. Just to put this in perspective, my first computer I ever owned by myself had 512KB of RAM (that is 0.0005 GB) and I can remember the time where you paid a whopping $1000 for a 10 MB expansion.

Do you know what exponential grow does to a quadratic dependency? It crushes it to the ground.
    If you use the numbers in the chart you will get something like 256 GB of RAM for around $80 in ten years. So you will most likely host 2 3477r planets at that time.
    tracert, killerkiwijuice and cdrkf like this.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What's the bigger question is: How will the cpu perform per thread in 10 years?
  15. tatsujb

at least the generation is reasonably well split amongst my 12 threads. but I get that you're talking about gameplay.

but right now.... I can't even generate the types of sizes i did during the period of the size contest thread.

I get that this is implies a positive : planets got more detailed and complex. But it also means there could be more optimizations on this front.
  16. wondible

wondible Post Master General

By the way have you done extensive size/memory testing? I've considered adding a ram estimator to the surface area mod, which would be easy if you've already worked out the relationship.
  17. tatsujb

I'd love to say yes but since it's takes 5+ hours minimum to create the planet plus load it in for gameplay (some 1h for creating and saving system the rest is the lobby load time which is much longer) and since I have a reputably short fuse...

no I wouldn't call what I've done "extensive testing".

I worked out that you'll get a reliable 8Gigs for 1300 radius and after that it kinda skyrockets. ~30gigs for 2000 and seemingly some 60-to way more gigs for 3500 but it just doesn't load in at this point and beyond.

also I'm not testing this under my desired conditions. I'm using virtual ram to come up with these numbers.

I'm not sure virtual ram uses similar space as ram because of the way it functions and either way it's slowing the process down.

I've been long overdue for an upgrade. I've been wanting to switch to the LGA2011 v.3 standart and this little guy, and swap out my over-the-top high-speed ram for well-priced quantity (and some speed) instead.

I've been wondering if more vram wouldn't also help the planets show up better. After all all those trees and ect count for polies.

so far I've been waiting for parts to sell off first.

I'm aiming for 64 gigs of ram instead of the current 16gigs.

I've already got some parts :

Attached Files:

Last edited: September 29, 2015
    wondible likes this.
  18. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

put 64gigs of RAM in it
    websterx01 likes this.
  19. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Implying he hasn't. Though to be fair, I haven't put 64 in mine....
  20. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

What takes up all of the RAM? Sounds like bad programming to me!