TITANS, Rather an expensive upgrade...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by treebee, August 21, 2015.

1. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Original PA is still supported and will continue to get bug fixes / engine updates and has also gotten the new audio stuff and UI changes from Titans.

What you won't get is the new units.

As for multi player, Uber have set it up so everyone can see all games. Titans players can simply join original games (so if you want some multi player games with / against me for example, you host I can join, no problems). Titans owners can also specifically chose to host original games if they want (an option in settings).

Obviously players who don't have Titans can't join Titans games because they don't have access to the new units. Whilst some are concerned that 'no one will join original games now', that's not been my experience. I would rather join a decent looking game than wait ages especially for the Titans game (and actually, the Titans, especially the orbital one, kinda screw the balance a bit currently anyway).
    pilotrose likes this.
  2. pilotrose

pilotrose Member

Thanks for the info buddy. Well enjoy Titans, I wonder if people will bite.

For now, I'll just stick to vanilla PA.
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. cdrkf

No worries, btw we're trying to get the Prometheans back on a bit more, you should jump on the TS channel this weds see if we can't get a group of us on again :)
  4. karnaloth

karnaloth New Member

I'm just somewhat bewildered as to how some of these ''backers'' are calling people like me ''pushy'' because I probably paid five times as much (230 euros, that's 250 dollars) as these pretentious ''backers'' who claim they took a risk. When I bought it I took a risk too, for as far as I know back when the cosmic limited edition hit I had no real game to play either. And yet here I am, having to pay? I regret not buying this on steam already, I should have so I could have gotten it refunded. Cause now I paid more for promised content I never got. Never got the physical goods(don't think I ever will).

Secondly, I am left with an incomplete, sub-par game of the one that was promised(again, read how that means I also took a risk.)

And then some of you have the audacity to come around and tell me ''Well we tots backed it, there was no risk in it for you.'' I don't call putting in 20 dollars taking a risk nor was the certainty of a good game any clearer when the kickstarter ended. Now, before anyone comes around with their retort; I would have been absolutely fine with paying again if EVERYONE had to.

sorry for my poor English and for my attitude, but this is absolutely infuriating. I just wanted to have my say without starting another topic about this subject.
    Last edited: August 28, 2015
    elkanfirst, nevr0n and Elate like this.
  5. cdrkf

I think the argument about risks is a poor one frankly, so I sympathize with you there.

As for the physical rewards- they are currently being shipped so you should get a notification about that soon (there is a FAQ on the physical rewards if you have question I recommend having a read).

As for the paying vs free issue- I really think it was a case of Uber wanting to do something nice and they had to set a cut off time *somewhere*. Unfortunately you fell the wrong side of it, I mean possibly they should have done it on money paid rather than a time limit. That doesn't really help now though, so it is what it is.
  6. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

yes you took a risk knowing that it was one ... why you paid this ammount of money ... no idea ...
    now you say you didn't get a good game .. so what you basicaly did was more a preorderlike mistake in my opinion ..

i disagree with your statement about promised content ... because you got that .. it's rather that you didn't get the content you expected
    Nicb1 likes this.
  7. Bluepanda63

Bluepanda63 New Member

say, pre-ordered the Galactic edition on UberEnt's website paid no less than 250 dollars for PA, and still needs to shed an extra 14 bucks for titans.
    Meanwhile, if you paid 20 bucks during the kick started, you get titans for free on the sole basis that you invested earlier on and had to wait longer before you got the actual game. Got to say that feels like a kick in the teeth; I backed the game at $250 before the alpha, but via your own store instead of the kickstarter and you expect me to pay another $13 when 23000 kickstarter backers only paid $15/20 and get this free.

Please rethink this as you are alienating some of your hardcore fans with this strategy.
    elkanfirst likes this.
  8. mwreynolds

mwreynolds Well-Known Member

if your fan of the game I really don't get why $13 for the stand alone expansion is a big issue. Surely its better than uber stopping support due to running out of money. Sure it would be nice to have got it for free but uber didn't have to give it to anyone, and had to draw the line somewhere. And in a way it is nice uber where not just thinking about the dollar value of it backers.

it your fan I'm sure your get titans, if pa wasn't the game you where hoping for then that unfortunate and I don't think titans is going to change that.
  9. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

Idk about this... What was the reason you did not back on kickstarter?

They're sending these out now... Stop being a drama queen.

What you're basically doing here is calling yourself pretentious.

I guess that's your opinion, I really like how PA turned out. The only bit I'm disappointed with is galactic war, but I'm sure that I wouldn't have played that anyway :eek: I am 100% glad that I kickstarted it!

Also as below:

Please elaborate, which features specifically are in Titans that were promised in KS/Early Access.
  10. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

They have alienated themselves...

I'm going to put this out there, those complaining about a £10 upgrade are only thinking about themselves, their own pockets and don't care for PA and it's developers. Uber decides to give away the expansion to it's EARLIEST backers because they would like to thank them for that.

Just remember, the game may have not been finished or barely started when you bought into early access or cosmic editions but were it not for those who originally kickstarted it you would likely have not had the opportunity to do so at all. It tells me a lot that those defending Uber are the kickstarters and those that think they deserve a free game are the post kickstarters. It tells me that there is an inherent difference in the way those people think about games, game companies and how they are funded. I have said many times before, despite having paid $100 already I would have freely paid the $13 for Titans, in fact I have already bought it again for a friend so he can play with me.

Uber made the decision to give away free copies very carefully, I'm pretty sure the reasoning would have been that if they give away the game for free to a large number of it's earliest backers they have a pre-installed user base and their earliest backers get a free game. Everybody wins!

Apparently not though because a bunch of people went absolutely bonkers.
    "Oh noes" they cry
    "I spent $250 on this game and now I have to spend another $13" Holy crap son!!

Idiots!

There's no more eloquent or tactful way to put it, there is no reasoning with this position.
    stuart98 and andrehsu like this.
  11. karnaloth

karnaloth New Member

I didn't kickstart it because I only found it after it had ended, I felt however that back then uber was my last hope for my favorite franchise, RTS. Hence I decided to back the idea and buy that Cosmic edition.

look at real life, rewards are based on what you contribute, not WHEN. Is it so strange that I feel betrayed that when people who paid much less then I get more? Just read that sentence without feeling betrayed, its impossible. That said how does saying I'd have been fine if everyone had to pay make me pretentious? I don't follow, in my view that only makes me fair not pretentious, if that had been the case all of this would've been avoided.

Also, stop acting like the fact that I was willing to pay 250$ suddenly justifies that I have to pay even more, it doesn't. Secondly, calling people idiots for disagreeing with you and standing up for themselves is rather pathetic.

And not to sound like an ******* but look at steam, the game is being plucked apart.. Doesn't that say enough?
    Last edited: September 7, 2015
    elkanfirst likes this.
  12. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

really? I am sure there are a myriad of examples of both cases: "early little investment wins" or "higher, but late, investment wins". Also I'd say PA, Uber, Kickstarter and Early access all exist in real life. :p
    Ofc it always sucks if you happen to be in the group that profits less, sure. I can understand that. In some situation we've probably all been there.
  13. karnaloth

karnaloth New Member

profit less? I don't profit at all but I contributed more, don't tell me you actually believe that is fair.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Err.... you sure profited less in this case. -9999 would be less 10 would be less 250. Even negative values can be less than other values. So you can either profit less, the same, or more. One of those has to be true. Doesn't matter if the value is 0 or not.
    I didn't say anything about fairness.
  15. cdrkf

The game is being picked apart on steam for the wrong reasons.

People are using it to 'punish' uber for daring to charge for titans at all, which is not what the reviews are there for.

The reviews should focus on:
    - quality of the content
    - factors directly effecting the playability of the game e.g. performance (note that does assume people with technical issues seek help first, rather than posting a negative review because their graphics drivers are 5 years old).

Anyway, I'm sympathetic in your case as you contributed a lot to PA. I think you were unlucky more than anything. As I've said before, I don't think uber were trying to upset anyone, rather do something nice for their oldest supporters. The issue has always been they can't give it to everyone free and still earn money from it, so they had to pick some kind of cut off. Perhaps a cut off based on a financial figure, rather than a date would have been fairer... Either way whoever just missed out would be annoyed I guess.
    stuart98 and elkanfirst like this.
  16. mwreynolds

So you telling me you didn't get the game or early assess at all?
    Getting PA = profit.
    Getting early assess=profit
    Getting any other early access exclusive rewards etc =profit

You must not compare a $20 kickstarter backer to $250 earlier access.
    $20 kickstarter only got the game on release nothing more until the titans thank you gift.
    $250 early access got alot more. You could have paid less to just he game at release but you decide you wanted early access and other things.

Sure you don't like that your not considered the same as a kickstarter, but the truth is your not.
    You did help to fund the development of a game, and i'm sure you contribution is valued.

Either you like the game and will get titans or PA isn't want you thought it would be and you won't.

$13 is $5 of the $250 of which only about $20-$40 was for the release game.
  17. V4NT0M

V4NT0M Well-Known Member

See below, you missed out, boo hoo, I missed out on a discount on ram for my PC because I was too late, I didn't go calling everyone who got the discount pretentious.

What real life? There are countless situations outside of kicstarting PA where rewards you receive are entirely time based and not contribution based. Pre-orders, two for one sales, "early bird" discounts, sales in general, the list goes on.

See, I usually try to avoid calling people idiots as in my post, I usual try to be diplomatic. But you make it so difficult. For instance, someone who backed $20 got PA for that price and got Titans for free. You however, who paid $250 got much more than that, t-shirt, miniatures, alpha, beta, gamma, etc, etc... What, are, you, talking, about?

Because you're basically saying that you're unhappy that someone else got something for free, which... Affects you in no way shape or form, if you have to pay, everyone should!

Here is your rationale:

I really want PA to be a thing so I'm paying waaaaaay above the odds for it, I probably got $50 worth of actual content out of my $250 purchase but I don't care, I'm backing this game because I think it should be made and it's likely no one else will.

Now I have to pay another $13 for an expansion which contains a bunch of things which were never discussed or promised in or after the kickstarter. I don't want to support Uber anymore because they gave it away for free to some people. THEY GAVE IT AWAY TO PEOPLE SO NOW I SOMEHOW THINK THAT THEY DESERVE LESS MONEY... NOT MORE!

You don't see how this stance is not only hypocritical but makes you the very pretentious individual you claim KS backers are!?

But somehow, I, a Kickstarter backer who has also bought titans for someone else already at the discount price am pretentious?!
    Last edited: September 7, 2015
    Nicb1, ecervele and stuart98 like this.
  18. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I would say that Uber selling TITANS to everyone was necessary evil.

They (uber) did some major mistakes which almost killed company. First they overestimated their skill or underestimated cost and size of base PA project. They just could not deliver that game with funds and time they had. Then they claimed PA is finished and ready when game was unfinished. And last mistake was trying second kickstarter before they delivered PA (that's Human Resources), great concept and i hope Uber will come back to it.

I do not blame them for all those, bad things happen, and Uber tries to stay afloat.

So they were kind of forced to sell TITANS, somebody need to pay bills. And i rather pay some more $$$ and have PA finished, than Uber going down and leaving me with base PA. Which is quite unfinished.
    elkanfirst and mwreynolds like this.
  19. onyxia2

onyxia2 Member

ya lol, that happens because every game corporation are doing it and all you sheeple let em get away with this ****!! NO ONE should ever participate in useless micro transactions EVER! The expansion though is exactly what the game needed to be complete and is so worth it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  20. mwreynolds

I think being able to buy purely cosmetic commanders is great.
    They are not needed at all to play the game and don't effect game play at all, but do allow fans of the game to help support the developers in a way that lets have something that stands out in multiplayer games.

Sure not everyone will want or buy them, but that's the point, there are optional, and not shoved in your face.

But before anyone says they are a waste of dev time, they have to make them for the $1000 KS backers anyway.