Time Travel Titan

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Mirolog, September 7, 2015.

1. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Would dead players be revived? If everything is included, and the "Chronos" titan you are describing is implemented, and someone dies less than a minute before the Chronos is used, they'd still be alive- does this mean they have a second chance for a commander escape?

I could also picture every devastating attack in the game being delayed by the Chronos as someone sees it coming, they activate, but it does no good- the attack still comes, and just prologues the game. That could render repetitive game play.

As much as this sounds like a good idea, the reality of it all is that in a 10 player FFA, a one minute time jump for each is a ten minute longer game. Two minutes would make it twenty. That's a long time in PA.

Despite how (imo) this is a fundamentally bad idea, we need thinkers like you on the forums- you could dream up something pretty great.
    Last edited: September 10, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  2. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

In the model I described, yes. You reset to exactly the game state the game was in. This is a prerequisite for the seamless argument of F(t).
    Oh, BTW, I'm only here to show that it is possible to implement this mechanic without contradiction, I don't think PA is good for something like this. But I could imagine a small scale combat game where this would be fun.

Oh,well I guess this was done before.
  3. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

awesome but impractical
    Last edited: September 10, 2015
  4. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

I know this whole idea is insane and will probably never happen, but it would be awesome. Could this be modded?

The mechanic I would like to see is a Primer-style time-teleporter device. You build a massively expensive teleporter. When it is completed, you now have a checkpoint in time. It drains huge amounts of energy from here on. When you decide to use it, you have 10 seconds to pour units into the teleporter (no titans or commanders), then time rewinds to the checkpoint, the units pour out and the device detonates. If the device is destroyed before you activate it and or before the 10 second clock runs down, you lose your checkpoint in time.
  5. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

did I just happen to come at a bad time when I arrived on the forums, then?
  6. bengeocth

ur werthles get rekt
  7. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

ACTIVATE THE OMEGA THIRTEEN !
    I had to get that out of my system.

I think this is a very interesting idea, but would not like to have this in multiplayer, people would use it just to annoy you, because people.
    I can think of interesting ways to use this for a singleplayer campaign though, sadly we don't have one of those.
    Pendaelose, stuart98 and crizmess like this.
  8. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

How about this hypothetical Time Bending Device (TBDTM) affecting a certain area, say, akin to an Umbrella's coverage. Within this area you could affect time at will for a ginormous energy cost. You could stop time (would make for a great defensive bubble, or - gasp! a shield), rewind time (I am out of nukes? Well, I wasn't a minute ago!), or accelerate time.
    The energy cost should a fixed and a variable component.

Restricting it spatially would open up far more interesting possibilities, whilst also being much more attainable in scope.
  9. tatsujb

sssssssssssstop right there. let's analyse that : so a unit at the frontier of this area who was there within that time frame but not afterwards iiiiiiiisssssssss......what?

cut in half?

what about the units that dies afterwards but are now there and reproducing what they were doing then wanting to exit this zone?

this proposition doesn't make the paradoxes better but actually much much worse.

try to think of all the case figures. you can never cover 100% of them.
  10. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

Whating the what? Seriously, present me with well-defined scenario and I'll try to come up with a solution. But right now I am more confused by what you say than you appear to be by what I said.
  11. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

I'm confused how I was able to think that time travel/revercing will benefit the RTS game in any possible way.
    vyolin likes this.
  12. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

That was never part of the equation. I think.
  13. tatsujb

no need.

seemingly the topic alone is more confusing than what you can handle. that pretty much explains why there isn't a solution to your idea.
  14. vyolin

vyolin Well-Known Member

A good day to you, too, sir.
  15. bengeocth

sswag
  16. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

Can you please stop discussing it, because this idea is stupid and will never be implemented in PA or any expansions in any possible way. I will eat my sock on a camera if it will.
  17. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Wow, thanks for the constructive and entertaining contribution to the forums! I'm sure you had to take precious time away from bumming out a party or farting in an elevator just to be here, much appreciated!