Hotkeys sometimes no longer working

Discussion in 'Support!' started by sebovzeoueb, September 8, 2015.

1. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

I have a bug in which sometimes the build hotkeys for particular fabbers stop working. I'm using the default hotkeys rather than HotBuild, I know this probably makes me a bad person, but I've got used to the default system.

I never had this issue before Titans, so I'm not sure if it is new or what. In one game I could no longer use hotkeys on naval fabbers, and in a more recent game I lost vehicle fabber hotkeys in the middle of a game. At the start of the game the hotkeys were working, and all of a sudden they weren't.

I can't find this issue anywhere, as I'm probably the only one not using HotBuild.
    Thinking42Man likes this.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Do you use any mods at all? If so, could you try running PA with --nomods (or disable all mods manually) and see if you can reproduce it. Just to rule out it isn't anything mod related.
  3. sebovzeoueb

I currently don't have any mods installed, so I don't think it could be that.
  4. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

I too have this problem, no mods. Must resort to mouseclicking the units/structures I want to build.
  5. DeathByDenim

And it also just stop mid-game for you without any apparent cause? Do you know if there is a specific thing you do just before it stops working? I mean, is there any way you can force this bug to appear?
  6. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Have you checked to see if you have some key bind conflicts. Idk bit mebbe uber added a new default and it messed up one of yours?
  7. Aryzing

Aryzing Member

I can not reproduce this willingly, it seems random.

Just checked the key bindings and indeed there is a conflict. It is with key 'A', it serves to both "Attack" and "Build item 13". I believe I did not select this, and that these are the defaults Uber selected.

Indeed, I just reset the defaults and both keys are set to 'A'. Could this be it?
    uberconflict.png
  8. DeathByDenim

Well, let us know if that fixes it. :)
  9. sebovzeoueb

I'm glad that someone else actually has this issue too! I however do not have any conflicts, but do get this bug. I have been unable to reproduce it, it does seem to be somewhat random. Even though I don't have any conflicts indicated by the hotkey menu, there are some keys assigned to the same things as the build keys, and I've tried spamming these, but I can't seem to manually reproduce this bug.
  10. DeathByDenim

Hmm, that's too bad.

By the way, next time it happens, can you try pressing F5? That will refresh the UI and I am wondering if that also resets the hot keys. Also post a PA log from a session where this occurs if you can find one. They are located here:
    Windows: %LOCALAPPDATA%\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\log (Just copy-paste this in the address bar of Explorer)
    OSX: ~/Library/Application Support/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log
    Linux: ~/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log
    The format of the names is just PA-<year>-<month>-<day>-<time>.txt, so you should be able to find the correct ones.
  11. sebovzeoueb

I will do these things next time it occurs.
    DeathByDenim likes this.
  12. sebovzeoueb

So, I got the bug again in one of my games this evening, and I can confirm that F5 fixes it! I've attached the log.

Attached Files:

13. DeathByDenim

Well, good that there is a workaround. :)

I don't see anything odd in the log file though, so that's going to be a hard one to fix... Though maybe others can spot stuff in that log.
  14. drumstix131

drumstix131 New Member

I have a similar Issue, and none of the troubleshooting methods I've seen have worked for me. so discouraged at this point, it's been a few years now.
  15. drumstix131

drumstix131 New Member

Please help me.
  16. boredgeek

boredgeek New Member

I came back to PA after about ~10mo not playing and I started hitting this issue too.

In particular, the menuing hotkeys ("select factory" -> "bot" "vehicle" (etc.)) hotkeys NEVER work for any fabricators; and the build hotkeys ("air units" -> "fabricator" (etc.))

My issue was that because of my laptop's keyboard layout (and the fact that I use a mouse with the right hand); I use wasd for camera controls.

I feel like the menus used to be context-sensitive; so by toggling the build menu, the camera hotkeys would be temporarily disabled.

Making the build commands all SHIFT+a, SHIFT+s, SHIFT+d, SHIFT+f

did the trick.
  17. boredgeek

boredgeek New Member

Just to follow up: in the middle of a Galactic War; the menu hotkeys stopped working again. Resetting the UI with F5 did not fix the issue. It appears that this 4-year-old bug is still quite alive.
  18. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

Please open a new ticket for each of your issues at https://support.planetaryannihilation.com/