Clan Gatherings: a regular Day of Clans

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by davostheblack, September 4, 2015.

1. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Hello, I'm MangoMango, I think a lot of the regular long-term players will recognise to some extend, so hopefully this will get some wide spread consideration.

I love PA. I always kind of have, and I'm definitely loving Titans. The game is fast, dynamic, bad *** as all hell and fun to play. But there is more to this that just the game itself.

For me, the best parts have always been the very well-meaning and kind community (the best gaming community I've ever been part of, at least), the welcoming and diverse nature of the clans (who all intermingle regularly and very fluidly) and playing big team games with clan mates.

That last part is the best: big 5 vs 5 team games with lots of metal are just wonderful, I love them. Problem is, they tend to be quite one sided Pubby Stomps as there aren't ever really enough of any one clan on at a time. It's rare to have the numbers to split up into two teams of 4 or 5. Sometimes of course, there are so many it'd be nice to throw up a 7 vs 7 server

However, there's always enough individual clan members around, just never on the same days/times. The community is just a little bit too thinly populated for regular big team games, So I'd like to propose a Thing

I call it Clan gatherings; a regular gathering for Saturdays for all clan members of any clan, lasting across say 8 hours to accommodate a good variety of time zones. We'd each move to one or two VOIP servers, and play some big team games, hang out, talk about maps or whatever else. It'd be great for some nice team games, friendly clan vs clan, but it'd also be a great place to possibly host custom servers, play with some of our more elusive community members, test mods or just build maps.

It'd also be very good to recruit new members into clans, and regular meetups between clans mean good recruitment grounds if we allow the more general Public in :)

This would of course require a VOIP server of some kind; I know there's quite some spacious Game Vox servers for BRN, a massive one hosted by Gandalf, and I know that there are also TeamSpeak servers of various size for RLM, NW, (P), and =VoW=, but I understand of course that I can't just grant everyone the right to use someone elses servers, but a suggestion I will put forward to all the clan leaders shortly

If that's not a feasible to use any of the above, I could look into hosting a public TS server (might not even be necessary) and I'd be quite interesting in setting it all up

My problem is that I'm not actually very knowledgeable about how to go about arranging something like this. I can do a lot of the early organising, speak to all the clan leaders and so forth, but I wouldn't know how to, for example, approach Exodus sports for some coverage or how to go about organising/hosting custom serves. If anyone is interested in this and wants to get involved, or even just throw down ideas on how to organise this, hit me up in chat

Otherwise, if you like the concept, like this thread so I can get a gauge of interest, add any comments you feel like for feedback/discussion, and otherwise contact me if you are a clan leader and are interested in this for your clan.
  2. Corgiarmy

Corgiarmy Active Member

This is a very good idea.
    davostheblack likes this.
  3. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I like the idea if non-clan players are also invited so no one is left out just sitting in the lobby waiting for a game.
    Last edited: September 7, 2015
    dom314 and davostheblack like this.
  4. mishtakashi

mishtakashi Active Member

Great idea Mango, there are a few ppl from BRN getting into titans so we could be keen.

I'm quite keen to see conversations like this broaden to all the community: i.e. try and use resources collectively to support mikeyh's massive ffas, coordinate clan and public casual team matches, support exodus tournaments. I think there are a great many people with great ideas in the community however at times many of these ideas have been pushed separately and this has perhaps caused burnout or limited participation across the board.

All of this is to say that we should try coordinate well with the rest of the community in setting up any regular fixture so as to promote healthy participation.
    Furballman, cdrkf, Corgiarmy and 4 others like this.
  5. violetania

violetania Well-Known Member

i just want competitive team games back, it was so much fun rooting for your clan and friendly banter <3 but i'd so be up for this mango mango! (your name is adorable =3)
    cdrkf and davostheblack like this.
  6. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

The NW clan will love this! We are most interested by large team clan game.

But i have try to do the same think for PA, and its very difficult to have one day for all clans. But with the come back of a lot of old players maybe we can do it!
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Sounds like a plan, +1
  8. cynischizm

cynischizm Active Member

I think this is something the rest of the VoW guys would be interested in. I'll post on our internal forum and try to round up a few people for the weekend sessions.
    davostheblack, Furballman and cdrkf like this.
  9. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

Sounds like fun!
  10. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Feel free to drop me a message when this is going on; I'm more than happy to do some casting of these games!
  11. cdrkf

So long as that is POV casting :D
  12. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Have you seen me play? I'd bring RLM down through the floor :D
    mishtakashi, stuart98 and cdrkf like this.
  13. cdrkf

Nooooooo, my evil plan has been uncovered... :p

Seriously man your not that bad- and you'd de-rust pretty quick imo if you started playing more. I still remember you and a couple of other relmies wrecking me, @cmdrflop and @sookrispy on Marshalls Lament :p
  14. davostheblack

So there's a decent enough amount of interest to warrant starting to put this together. Knowing VoW and NW are keen to get involved from the start sets us up nicely, and I'm damn certain I can find some Prometheans, BRN and RLM members that'd want to get involved.

@jables, any way of convincing you guys at Uber to put a possible team together? It'd be fun, you could give yourselves Dev-specific commanders just for it :p

What I propose to start is very simple; during the (base guidline hours) of 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC, we all get online and play some team games. Every clan puts together a short list of 2 or 3 systems they'd like to play, posts them here, and we go at it. Friendlys, tournament style, best out-of-three, fixed teams, rotating teams, whatever for now: just think about getting together 3 to 5 people as a team for the day (not obligatory, of course, just a suggestion) and what systems you enjoy playing.

For hosting, I suggest we name them all in a standard way to raise awareness generally, so name them all [DoC] for Day of Clans (duh) and the Host's Name, so they're easy to distinguish. I'd also suggest 3 spec slots open per match, with Global Spectator Chat switched Off so public spectators can join but can't ghost the game.

I'm purposefully leaving out any specific details of organisations; I haven't actually talked to anyone directly yet, so haven't much more to add yet. I'll keep this updated as news happens, give or take a day or two, I'll probably start new threads every week to keep them short and relevant, and I'll speak to exodus sports about if they'd be willing to participate for a more structured tournament type thing. @Quitch, your thoughts on that matter?

If any clans or server hosts are happy to have their teamspeak server information posted, I'll leave it up to you to post what is relevant: be sure to include your language of choice, and a region for time-zone co-ordination

Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions are welcome; PM me and/or post here, whichever contribution you feel is better.

tl;dr: turn up every saturday any time between 12:00 UTC and 19:00 UTC and participate in team matches. Get a headset/microphone, get on a teamspeak channel and join up with whoever you fancy. If you're in a Clan, add your clan tag to your name. Post system suggestions here, which Map Pack it is in, or if your suggested system is not already in a Map Pack, please share it on Shared Systems
  15. andreasgg

andreasgg Well-Known Member

Saturday is atm super commander day... I dont think we should ruin it. Regular 1v1 tournaments is just as important for the competitive scene. I therefor suggest that this starts after super commander (would increase
    participation and hype hopefully) or have it on another day, Sunday for instance :)

Good initiative MangoMango :) I like it a lot
  16. davostheblack

Thanks for that reminder; we can certainly push this back to Sunday 13th then.
  17. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

UTC 1200 - UTC 1900 lines up perfectly with when I sleep xD.
    ljfed likes this.
  18. davostheblack

Ahh, my bad; I'm having trouble translating timezones into time coverage. Any suggestions for gamer-friendly time in Australia in UTC? Actually, if everyone has a preference for times of availability, post it in here, lets see who wants to play when and work around that instead.
    dom314 likes this.
  19. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

UTC 2200 - UTC 1400 (8am to 12am local time) is a broad range on when you could find aussies awake. I am a bit of an old man, I got to bed ~10pm (UTC 1200), but I wake up earlier xD.

Australia is a bit more on the other side of the world though, so it's not unusual for the times to work out a bit poorly for us :p
    violetania and mishtakashi like this.
  20. lordathon

lordathon Active Member

So, some clan leader have ask their players for a day / hour? The NW will be available a lot in the week around 19:00 UTC and 22:00 UTC.

And you?