Bots vs Tanks

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by epicblaster117, August 29, 2015.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Tanks with more HP could be fun!

Or you could change around the fire rate and damage values, who knows? Not me.
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I think they were considered a bug too. :p

More seriously, the idea is just incredibly boring. It feels completely arbitrary and uninteresting to have some units to be flatout better depending on planet size. Something like a hovertank being able to abuse planet features is imo much more interesting.
    stuart98 likes this.
  3. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The laser tank isn't doing anything different per se. It's just abusing a different feature :D
  4. temeter

The feature is called:

:eek: Ground :confused:

So excite, much wow.
    stuart98 likes this.
  5. mered4

Yeah. I believe the feature you refer to with the hovertanks is called:

:eek: Lava :eek:
  6. temeter

Not trying to start a chicken/egg question, but if the whole planet is just lava, where did the hovertank come from?
  7. mered4

Well, technically:

:eek:PLANETS:eek:
  8. temeter

:eek: More than one? :confused:

It's like they're everywhere.
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. mered4

According to a recent poll by IGN, 47% of people believe planets are completely unnecessary and should be removed. 15% believed they were completely necessary, 22% were unsure, and 13% wrote "Do you even have a brain?" in the margins.
    stuart98, temeter and igncom1 like this.
  10. temeter

Good ol' IGN getting insecure when looking at balls, who'd have thought.
  11. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

The game is fine the way it is. If u want bots and tanks to be more the same there would really be no point in havving diffrent units... It's not just a cosmetic choice that you make, it is also a gameplay choise thet you make. Bots and tanks are good balanced over eacht other, and as you said one lacking one thing and another lacking another thing, there is only one faction and if you want to defend against everything you also have to build everything. You never should choose between bots or tanks you need both...

And wanting to have more units like in supcom only results to more cool units rarely someone uses cuzz there would be a better one for that particular job...
    Every unit has it's specific job no other unit is better at and i like that in this game.
    badfucatus likes this.
  12. epicblaster117

epicblaster117 Active Member

I don't want bots and tanks to be the same, I want them to share the same ROLES but do them in slightly different ways. Currently the argument that "Too many units obsoletes another" or that "Too many units are pointless" is honestly irrelevant. People want more units, and currently both factories are lacking units, so why not make more units? In the kickstarter due to the fact we had only one faction we were promised hundreds of units for this single faction, we don't exactly have that at the moment. And yes, even if the units are just a "Cosmetic Choice" as you say that can actually be totally fine, the more choices the better and it makes someone feel as if they are playing a particular faction over building the exact same units as everyone else. Still, the t1 assault bot I suggested does hold the same role as the BOLO, but it does it in a rather different way, the big difference being the Damage Over Time approach to its weapons compared to the BOLOs front loaded damage. Even that is enough to constitute a new unit in my opinion, to have the option between front-loaded damage vs Damage over Time as one would be better vs small amounts of more armored units but face problems of overkill against swarms while the other is still a good health front line unit, but it doesn't have the problem of overkill, but it lacks the ability to quickly frontload damage.
    Do we absolutely need more units? Probably not, but, Would it benefit the game to have more units? The answer to that is Yes it would.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I can't say there are any two T1 units that are redundant in my mind.

T2? Probs, but that is kinda the point is it not?
  14. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i say not nessecarily ... ... no one builds the icarus for instance ...
  15. epicblaster117

Because the Icarus isnt good at what it's supposed to do. There's a difference between something being unnecessary and just outright bad. A proper front line bot will be built I ASSURE YOU it will be built a lot.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. huangth

huangth Active Member

I dislike this idea since it neutralizes the difference between bots and tanks.
    Current setting of bots and tanks are fine, really.

Bot is for early scout and hurting down enemy early expansion.
    Tanks can go for directly conflict and pushing the front line with solid HP,
    while the troop of tanks will be formed much later than bots do.
    Bot and tank are two different units, and they do their jobs well.

About the anti-air ability,
    I don't want to see too many functions all in the bot factory.
    Bomber already gets difficulty to attack the tanks groups with few spinners.
    If the bot factory can also provide the solid anti air support, it will make the air force nearly useless.
    stylisticsagittarius and MrTBSC like this.
  17. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i can assure you that whatever units you throw in that meta will ultimately show what will be prefered and what will become redundand because of that ..

and i agree @huangth
    you take the uniqueness and differenciation away with this ..
  18. stylisticsagittarius

stylisticsagittarius Active Member

+ Bots t1 bot fire at air being able to defend themselfs against bombers at make them also good at harrasing flying fabbers. Perhaps the t2 missile bot could also attack air since it can attack orbital so why not air. but if there would be changes i'd go for the point that he would primaraly attack orbital over land...
  19. epicblaster117

Here lemme make a better comparison to the vanilla game, that being the T2 Slammer and T2 Tank. They have what are VERY similar roles yet still stay realtivly different, the biggest difference being the damage model of sustained DPS. All Im proposing is a T1 Slammer in a sense, which would balance out the use of bot factories vs Vehicle as Vehicle stands as the most useful in terms of general power as bot has a fundamental problem of a lack of proper army composition making unit.
  20. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Literally no one is asking for that. Stop putting words in our mouths please.

Giving them similar options doesn't mean that they have to be executed in the same way.
    epicblaster117 likes this.