The sorian PA: TITANS AI thread

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by Quitch, August 24, 2015.

1. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

The TITANS follow-up on the classic thread.

So I'm starting the long journey of updating Queller, and while I do that it's time to nitpick @Sorian's work... I mean, provide useful feedback ;)
    1. Not an AI bug so much as a bug that affects the AI - the Spark (tesla bot) is marked as artillery
    2. SupportCommander is listed as a builder against items AnyAdvancedFabber is despite being included in the AnyAdvancedFabber group (as far as I can see)
    3. The AI is checking CanAffordPotentialDrain on the SupportCommander against the AdvancedBotFabber
    4. The orbital fabber isn't listed as a builder for most titans despite having access to them all
    5. AI builds the Ragnarok if there's an enemy presence and this isn't the main eco base - but that enemy presence could be a Skitter. It should do some level of threat check :)
    6. AI performs a threat check on its build location for the first three titans but not the last two
    That's all for now :)

Can the AI use the teleporter on the Helios?

Does the AI understand that it should force fire the Lob to generate Dox (I'm guessing no for this)
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

I noticed the AI doesn't seem to check ground anti-orbital? Build a helios in a game on a single player premade map. Continually proceded to send it over my base, ignoring 30+ gorillas and an umbrella. Then made another one, covered it with a bunch of railguns, send it over, and basically repeated that again and again.
    My orbital was basically non-existant outside of a small number of clumped defense platforms, but compensated with lots of ground anti-orbital.

Btw, It's better to have a general thread. so i'll just drop some shameless self-advertising here:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ai-suggestions.69986/

Basically about the AI 1) still using to many nukes instead of spamming units and 2) only sending small platoons of units through teleporters when attacking planets, basically giving up good bridgeheads, despite having hundreds available.
    And ofc how not doing 1) would make 2) a lot stronger. I want my AI to spam units for all eternity and throw as much stuff at me as possible. Which kinda works, until rule 1) comes into play and it just wastes tons of ressources on nukes, leaving it's ground army feeble compared to my non-nuclear production output. Ofc while not even really challenging any production and ressouces, because it seems to be afraid of my armies, which can cover large amounts of space.
  3. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

The Support Commander did not have the Fabber unit type until 2 days prior to ship (I just checked). I didn't realize that had changed so didn't update the AI files for the change. It wont hurt anything by being there.

Fixed locally.

This was changed 2 weeks prior to launch as a test. I was unaware we were actually shipping with that feature.

I'll look into that.

Same as above.

Nope.

Also nope.
  4. Quitch

The AI will only build the Helios on planets with enemies, but assuming it's included the AI's ability to send stuff through space it shouldn't need to do this.

The AI name ಠ_ಠ is displayed as _ in-game.
    Last edited: August 25, 2015
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. Quitch

For some reason the AI platoon continued to fire on the wreckage of a Spinner, notice the Sparks and Bolos tracking it, and the Bolo shots flying past.

386070_2015-08-25_00002.jpg

Also, not sure if this is right or not. The Helios checks whether it can attack an orbital target, but then is given the OrbitalLaserAttack task. Shouldn't this either be OrbitalFighterAttack or a WL_Surface test in place of the orbital one?
  6. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

So I was playing the absurd AI in the PAX system with a friend, and I think we saw something that shouldn't happen. My friend was leading the attack, while I had a big support base on the moon, creating resources, sending nukes etc.

Then sadly, the AI did an invasion on his planet we didnt notice, after which he lost. I hold defence for a while on the moon, but we knew we were going to die, so we did a guess. I made halleys and threw my moon into the AI starting planet.

Sadly he wasnt at the lava planet, but at the metal planet. Before throwing my commander into the planet I fled with an orbital transport to the gas giant, where we saw how the AI finished his Annihilaser since I stopped nuking it.

The laser got finished, but it never got activated. It never even send any troops to the gas giant to kill my commander. He could have rekt us (insta kill in orbital transport) or just blow us up. But he didn't.

My friend then made orbital lasers and battleships, invaded the metal planet and rekt the AI. Brilliant, but the Ai shouldn't have made that mistake. :p
  7. Mirolog

Mirolog Well-Known Member

And why land titans are disabled of AI?
    ace63 likes this.
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

You can't Annihilaser a gas giant.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

You should! >: D
    Remy561 and Going4Quests like this.
  10. Going4Quests

He could also nuke our commander, or just invade the gas giant with oribtal. He really had everything ready.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Yeah orbital play is the ai's biggest weakness. It's setup to use it as an expansion / invasion tool, but doesn't really fight in it, which makes gas giant vs ai kinda op (that said, sounds like you had fun making that comeback!)
    klavohunter, Remy561, devoh and 2 others like this.
  12. Going4Quests

I told my friend that I was counting and waiting for my annihilation, but I laughed myself almost to death with our come back he made yes. "Is it a plane? Is it a bird? NO, Its a satelite invasion. BURN!"
    cdrkf likes this.
  13. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Can't nuke gas giants either.
    Remy561 likes this.
  14. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

The AI does build up bases on gase giants and sends combat groups around it, just like it would do on normal planets. I think the weakness rather lies in the conservative approach, the unwillingness to just drop huge orbital fleets onto a gas giants. Kinda like how it happens with teleporters only sending small unit groups.

As soon as you got a gas giant somewhat looked down, you can easily defend any attack attacks.
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. Going4Quests

O now that is interesting. I Always was thinking of the idea to nuke my way into a taken gas giant. That's a nope then. But couldnt a commander snipe be possible then? He litterally only had to take out my transport. :p
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Think that'll ever be changed? Would be nice to have another option for breaking the economy on gas giants. I know it used to be in, I believe we need an orbital anti-nuke. Maybe there could be just that which can be placed specifically on has giants?
  17. Quitch

This is the AI thread, take that elsewhere :p
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

I hope that's temporary.
  19. Going4Quests

Why? It came to the mind to let the AI nuke gas Giants.

EDIT: if it's done due to no anti nuke on gas, perhaps it could be an exception when a commander is a target?
  20. Quitch

Because the inability to target gas giants with nukes is not an AI issue, it's a balance one. I don't want this topic to become a pestering sorian for systems changes topic just because he sticks his head in here. Plenty of other places to talk about that stuff.