Clash Of The TITANS - 1v1 tournament with $600 prize pool

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by exodusesports, August 26, 2015.

1. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

banner_1024.png

eXodus eSports is proud to present Clash Of The TITANS, a 1v1 six round swiss tournament taking place on the 19th September, 1800 UTC.

It’s our biggest prize pool yet with $600 up for grabs. It’s a deep pool too, monetary prizes for the first seven places in the tournament. You don’t need to be the best to be in with a chance to win something, but rise to the top and $300 can be yours. See the sidebar for full details on the prize distribution.

This is a swiss style tournament. 64 players can participate in six rounds, no one gets knocked out, you get a game every round. New to swiss? As the rounds advance the swiss system calculates a score based on your results and the seeding of your opponents. The deeper into the tournament you go the more well matched your opponents will be. It’s a tournament designed to give you better and better matches as you go on.

Sign-ups are open NOW!

Eligibility
    We anticipate this event will run for around five hours, and as this is a swiss there is no elimination and you will need to be present for the entire tournament. If you're intending to play make sure to set aside the time, and inform others that you will not be available during this period.

Organising these events takes significant effort and we want to create an enjoyable tournament for participants, viewers and event staff. We have received a lot of player and viewer feedback complaining about the level of no shows in previous tournaments and due to the disruption it causes we are implementing a new policy for no shows and players that leave early without prior agreement with event staff.

You will not be eligible to enter this tournament if you:

• withdrew from Big Bang or Mystery Mayhem with less than the required 24 hours notice via the withdraw process
    • did not withdraw and did not show up for Big Bang or Mystery Mayhem
    • left Big Bang before the end of round one without prior agreement with event staff
    • left Mystery Mayhem without playing all your games without prior agreement with event staff
    Players who meet these criteria for Big Bang but entered Mystery Mayhem and played to the end are eligible to enter Clash Of The TITANS.

Individuals who attempt to circumvent these restrictions will not be eligible to enter any eXodus eSports tournament in the future.

If you believe you have been incorrectly barred from this tournament then please get in touch.
    Last edited: August 26, 2015
    crizmess, tunsel11, FSN1977 and 9 others like this.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

*US players yawn of happiness* 6am man! =)

Anyway, excited for this! ^^
    xankar likes this.
  3. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Really looking forward to this. Gonna put my game face on the next 3 weeks. Loving the Irish flag colors too. Thanks exodus for rooting for me.

Is 6 games the optimal amount of rounds for Swiss. Ie. Is there still an opportunity for 2 players to be unbeaten after the 6 rounds? Think it would be really unfair to go through unbeaten but get second place because you were "unlucky" with fixtures.
    xankar, lapsedpacifist and jomiz like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

We haven't had ties among the top 7 in any Swiss we've hosted yet. See the tooltips in the standings headers for how rankings are determined beyond just wins.
  5. Clopse

Take for instance xankar won his 4th game on Saturday, we would have then had 5 unbeaten players in the 5th round and a possibility of 3 in the 6th and 2 unbeaten players after the last game. And say pt4h was higher ranked and played the exact same opponents as xankar, xankar would win. I know this is unlikely, but losing because the ranking system thinks you got an easier tournament is unfair.

If the unlikely event it happens that two players are unbeaten like that I don't think players would mind a best of one final. (Which I think is a shorter version of how the Swiss tournaments work ie: best 8 after round 6 go into a round robin).

Edit: so ljfed beat xankar in 4th round. Imma just stay quiet over here.... Hype.
    xankar likes this.
  6. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

$600 dollars?

MrTBSC and ljfed like this.
  7. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Oooh... HYPE!!

Also, if we don't get some titans actually clashing is shall be very disappointed.
  8. superouman

superouman Post Master General

After looking at the logo, i now want Titan Wrestling. Can someone mod this?
    rivii likes this.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. matizpl

matizpl Well-Known Member

Yes, swiss is kinda problematic. Last swiss tourney I played, I had #1 seed. That meant I was only facing easier opponents. On one hand it was convinient, but then I realized I got less points for it! So the problem was that I lost 1 last game and then suddenly I was tied with 3-4 other guys who had record of all wins and 1 loss. Because of my seed I was last in that group because I had very little points. IMO it's quite serious problem, so could you guys look into it a bit?
    What about adding a bracket for top8 bracket or top4 group to figure out the winner?

Anyways, excited as hell! :D I think it will be really stacked tourney, going full time practice since 1st september :D
  11. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

12. superouman

superouman Post Master General

My take on this tournament is #FirstRankedMatchesYesterday
  13. Clopse

Do the NW guys know about exodus? Never seen them in any tournaments.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

There's a joke in there somewhere about French guys and fighting but I'm not going to be the one to make it.
  15. Clopse

Yeah best not to, would probably raise a white flag with the moderators.
    websterx01, xankar, stuart98 and 5 others like this.
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

This is gonna be a sick tournament. Looking forward to play it.
    andreasgg likes this.
  17. cptroot

cptroot New Member

Is this an ok tournament for newbie players to join? I'm still new to the game, so I'm not sure what base level of competence is going to be required to not get ROFL-stomped by everyone else.
  18. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes it's a Swiss tournament so you'll get better matches as the rounds proceed.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Well, I would say there will be lots of good players, I would suggest practicing in the 1 v 1 ladder mode. Also if you haven't already, go to the 'released mods' section of the forum and get 'PAMM' (PA Mod Manager). From there you want to install 'PA Stats' as that adds some vital capabilities into the game (including an integrated chat that shows players *and* their ranks). It's a great way to get in some practice games to brush up :)

I would still enter the tourney though, it's great experience!
  20. cptroot

cptroot New Member

Ah phooey, I just realized I'm moving that day. Maybe next tournament!
    cdrkf likes this.