Why I returned PA: Titans.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by aidanofvt, August 21, 2015.

1. aidanofvt

aidanofvt New Member

Hi. I want to preface this my acknowledging that I only have a handful of posts in this forum, and only a handful of hours playing PA.

I'm not exactly the most respected voice in this community.

Nonetheless, I want to share my little story, and see if it resonates with anyone.

When Titans was released, I was aghast at the $13 pricetag. (I'm that guy who only buys games when they're 80% off). I was sure I wouldn't buy it. The next day, I bought it. My justification was that $13, while certainly a shameless money-grab, was not that ridiculous by game studio standards. And anyway, I bought PA at such a steep discount that with this additional expense I still would have payed about as much as I did for SupCom: FA a decade ago. So I bought it. But as I sat in bed that night, I remembered something: the 66% off 'thank-you-deal' was temporary. It ends in October. That didn't sit well with me. It implies that the expansion is worth $40, and Uber is just being nice, rather than the expansion being worth $13, in addition to the $27 basic game.

That's not fair. The idea that somebody could emerge from under a rock a couple months from now and be required to pay for the game all over again or be satisfied with basic PA seemed... evil.

I'm glad that Steam now accepts returns.
    Planktum likes this.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

3. aidanofvt

aidanofvt New Member

Ah, no, I have not.

Sorry for the redundancy.
    dom314 likes this.
  4. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

There are so many new threads right now, understandable you didn't see the one thread that covers it xD.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Cool story bro. Enjoy not enjoying a fantastic expansion to a great game.
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Pff. While you're certainly more moderate with it than most people who complain, the only shameless thing I see here is you parroting the same old, tired, cliched verbal diarrhea. Selling an expansion doesn't make it a shameless cash grab, and as it stands PA:T solves multiple problems at once; problems that DON'T include the original PA being an unfinished game. You guys are like my father who eats all kinds of weird pastries chock full of butter substitutes while calling anything he doesn't like the taste of greasy. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean your stated reason is correct or even sensible. Just because you don't like the game, doesn't mean it is unfinished, which is what I believe you're implying with the shameless money grab (why else call an expansion a shameless money grab?), and if you didn't mean that I'll still leave that here as my response as that comes up a lot.

PA:Titans is not a shameless cash grab. It's a sensible business move made by people who clearly put their backs into what they do who face unfair accusations every day to the tune of "daylight robbery waaah waaaah" on multiple fronts, and if you don't want it, you can stay away, which is what you apparently chose to do.

Besides this little annoyance that ruined your post for me, you do have a valid point but Uber explained why they had to do it as they did. As with everything they had to make a decision, and the decision simply happens to not favor the players who don't grab the game within two months. Two months is a long time. If you choose to deny yourself an excellent game for a minority who had to be forsaken (or we simply wouldn't have any discount for ANYONE) due to, you know, life, then I think your idea of what the world is like is highly warped. Do you deny yourself tap water just because a lot of people don't have access to clean water? And that's not even a minority!
  7. badfucatus

badfucatus Active Member

I really tried to not bite at this thread....

But evil? seriously? evil?

Recently (in the real world) an academic was beheaded because he wouldn't reveal the whereabouts of a part of our collective history. That, imho, is frankly pretty close to my definition of evil.

A small independent company, releases a really value for money update/expansion to one of their IP's, which follows a tried and tested business strategy, in order to make sure their employees can pay rent/mortgages whatever.

I'm really trying not to swear now...

Evil?

lost for words, I'm walking away....
  8. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

So you returned the game because of a scenario that doesn't affect you.

That's like buying a milkshake to drink at that moment but instead of drinking it you return it because it will go sour in a week's time.
    tigerwarrior and stuart98 like this.
  9. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

Or going on a date with a hot chick but not banging her because one day she will turn old.
  10. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Well of course. Mr. Ethical over here would naturally do such a thing.
    stuart98 and tunsel11 like this.
  11. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

So in what situation going forward can you come up with that Uber can actually bring in some money and continue developing PA? Please no going back and saying what you feel they did wrong or what they could have done different. Hindsight is always 20/20. This is the present, and we can only move forward in time, so what in your opinion can Uber do to make it so PA can continue to be developed? I am sorry for you that Uber had to draw a line in the sand on who could get it for free and that you fell outside that group. I do feel that backers of the KickStarter are more deserving of special treatment than the Steam EA group. We took the risk of there being no game, Steam EA people didn't take that risk. Even with that I am going to buy some more copies @ 66% off for some friends. They make great gifts! Why would I do such a thing? Because at the end of the day the people at Uber are humans, and not perfect.. BUT they IMHO are really cool people and I want to see them succeed and want to see PA (which to me has huge untapped potential) continue to be developed for a long time, and that takes money.
  12. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

He isn't even an EA backer or anything, he openly admitted to having picked PA up on sale.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

Didn't you get the memo, game development studios run on rainbows and good will of the entitled gamer community.
    stuart98 and devoh like this.
  14. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

errrr.... so he just bought the game so he could return it and complain? What is happening to society? That is just messed up.
    stuart98 and Bsport like this.
  15. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I bet those people they would LOVE a job like that.. that paid in community love and rainbows!! "mmm taste the rainbow! so filling. Thankfully I can pay for my student loans with all these rainbows"
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. Matster

Matster Active Member

Small correction. They run on the good will of the buyers especially in the digital era where opinions spreads lightning fast online.
    stuart98 likes this.
  17. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

So rainbows then, because the only thing that would make these haters happy is it being free, but then they ain't buyers, just leech's, because remember these are the very same people who screamed the armoury was pay 2 win.
    stuart98 and devoh like this.
  18. jeffwadsworth

jeffwadsworth Member

I was actually wondering what all these dissatisfied people were thinking and your post pretty much confirmed what I thought. Good luck in the real world.
    probodobodyne likes this.
  19. Elate

Elate Active Member

The worst, we're talking baby eating levels here. Basically Satan.

Oddly enough I have no recollection of screaming anything of the sort. In fact I really liked the armoury and being able to buy cosmetic commander skins, I thought it was neato. What I don't like is being treated like my 60$ is worth less than a kickstarters 20$, that ain't cool son. Up to this point I have been entirely in support of Uber, up to this point.
  20. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

Unfortunately dude, half the gorram negative steam reviews seem to be exactly that. Cheap people who bought it, complained, then returned it.
    I paid $90, and I don't feel cheapened by getting the same thing. Even though by your knowledge I should cause I paid $30 (actually more because I paid in CAD) more than you did. Overall don't view the kickstarter pledge and "Oh look at what I did" but rather "Look at what WE came together to do." and Uber treats it that way.
    Last edited: August 22, 2015
  21. Morloc

Morloc New Member

Of course not. "Major content" such as the ability to save AND load games was added. Such features were never promised or even implied in the original pitch after all. I mean, name just ONE game where you're allowed to save and load.

;)

-Morloc
    Elate likes this.