Please no further (expensive) expansions

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by iamassassin, August 20, 2015.

1. iamassassin

iamassassin New Member

I was somewhat reluctant to buy this expansion, considering the fact that I supported this game since Beta and would end up paying more overall than someone who just bought the game as Titans. (I can only imagine what people who bought it earlier must be feeling)

But I saw through all the raging on Steam and decided to give Uber a chance. After the failed Human Resources Kickstarter you guys seem to have taken on community feedback and tried to turn this into a decent game. And it is getting there, but it hasn't quite made it.

But I don't want to get burned again and have to fork out more money for the "complete" game*. Can I get any word from Uber on whether there will be any future expansions, or if Titans will continue to recieve new content as patches? And if there will be further expansions, can I get an idea of what prices to expect for the upgrade?

I'm probably willing to pay up to $5 each for any further, decently-sized expansions. Any more costly and I'm probably just going to refund Titans and wait it out. I really can't afford to throw more money into a game that still feels like something is missing. There are plenty of other new games out there, made by equally-deserving developers, that I could buy instead.

Thanks.

*Planetary Annihilation Classic is finished. I'm not arguing that Uber is doing something shady. It is a game, it works, and is reasonably fun. However, it does not feel complete.
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Titans will continue to receive content patches. I doubt Uber will make any promisises about never doing anything, but if Titans is a success I think that they should be able to go quite some time on new sales without having to release any more paid gameplay.
  3. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

Whoah, content patches? This keeps getting better and better.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Concerning the first part: I neither believe nor hope that there won´t be future expansions...
    Concerning the second part: I do believe so, in fact, they even already promised it in an implicit way, which is the way they are handling things! (http://www.uberent.com/pa/faq/)
    Concerning the whole post: As long as upcoming expansions will throw in awesome, but cost-intensive stuff I´m willing to pay for it, course I don´t see why it could be unfair to pay for something good whose developers need your money to continue doing good things! Therefor I got no fixed pricing range...
  5. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Well, the original PA got 10 months of content patches up to this day, including all the benefits of the Titan's update (without the new content ofc). Truth be told, PA really needed that, but it certainly shed a good light at their commitment to continued support.

Personally I wouldn't mind more expansions to an acceptable price. Then again, I'm happy with the patched PA. It's not a SupCom, but expecting something on the level of that game* is a dream on this budget. Found the amount of content and quality to be worth it, YMMV. ;)
    Would have bought Titans, even if I didn't get it for free.

*aka one of the best RTS ever made sharing the throne with SC2&co
    cdrkf and warrenkc like this.
  6. stuart98

Being the equal of StarCraft 2? How could you even think to diss PA like that?

Oh wait, you mean SupCom 2. Don't agree but that's a bit less objectionable.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I'd guess Uber will do quite a few patches, including content patches, for Titans.
    One day in the future however there will be a decision:
    Do we continue to push on PA via a new paid expansion or do we stop working on new content for PA because we're out of money?
    On that day I hope they will chose the expansion route.
  8. stuart98

Or a new game, with an engine that takes all of the lessonss that they gained from developing PA.
  9. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah if they end up rich somehow :D
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  10. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Fight me IRL :mad:
    KnavishPlum, cola_colin and stuart98 like this.
  11. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

I think having these things are very cool, but It does make me wonder since Titan runs as its own game. What will we do with the first PA? I am still figuring that out, do I uninstall it to save space? Do I refund since I now have 2 versions of the game?

If Uber makes more expansions, I don't care if we have to pay, unless its over $20, but it should be like DLC, it adds things into the already existing game, instead of making a brand new game to get and install.

heck, I will get titans, but, I am still stuck on what to do with the original PA, will it take up space? my Laptop is not the greatest machine out there.
  12. stuart98

You can't refund it.

But yeah, uninstall it to save space.
  13. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

ok, I am not trying to be mean when asking about refund, I just thought of it, but since I will have 2 versions of the game, saving space is the best route.
  14. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Did people complain about Forged Alliance this much?
    squishypon3 and Gorbles like this.
  15. stuart98

Nope, my understanding is that FA didn't receive a single complaint.
    squishypon3 and Gorbles like this.
  16. Geers

Which makes this debacle look REALLY silly.
    Gorbles, temeter and cdrkf like this.
  17. iamassassin

iamassassin New Member

Supreme Commander was (arguably) more polished and "complete"-feeling when Forged Alliance was released, and the company behind it didn't have any previous marketing failures that burned a few people (Human Resources anyone?). Not to mention the failure to clearly communicate the pricing and discounts for previous owners.

I think it's completely understandable that people are reluctant or perhaps even hostile towards this at first. Uber hadn't exactly earned back the community's trust after the launch and Human Resources Kickstarter.

That said, having looked into the issue a bit deeper instead of raging based on nothing but my first impression, I decided that Uber have tried hard to fix things, and I'm going to give them one more chance. At this stage my wallet isn't big enough to justify purchasing another expansion of a similar size and price to Titans (more content and/or cheaper price and I'll be happy to fork out a bit more).
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. Geers

The HR Kickstarter failed. Ergo everyone who backed got their money back. What burn?
    temeter and stuart98 like this.
  19. iamassassin

iamassassin New Member

That they "released" the game before it was finished and then started a Kickstarter for a new one.
  20. Geers

People who took serious issue with this don't understand the reality of business.
    temeter likes this.